Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 screen freezing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only had my model 3 LR for a couple weeks now and the infotainment is already going to hell. Started a few days ago when I'd get in the car if I'd leave music playing the screen would freeze up. No speedo and no cameras but it would come back quickly. Then it started getting worse and would take longer to recover.

Now it's at the point where it just continuously freezes and the car reboots itself. I loose all my safety feature and have no brake Regen while this is going on. Car is a hazard to drive and a huge disappointment. Anyone ever have this problem? The normal rest did nothing for me and so I did a factory reset but there are a few visual glitches in the interface. Main one is the speed limit sign overlays itself twice slightly offset. I really don't want this to be a normal occurrence but I do have a service appointment set for this coming weekend just to get the factory issues on the exterior worked out but I will bring up this software stuff during that appointment.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Just for fun, can you try disconnecting ALL usb devices from your car, including the USB key that is used for sentry recording? See if it works better for the next few days. There have been so many reports of USB devices causing various problems that I would try that. Oh, and reboot the car once after having disconnected everything.

Experiencing this as well on a 06/22 m3p for a couple of weeks now and it keeps getting worse. Just got back from an hour commute with the mcu freezing and restarting constantly with regen going in and out and the same song restarting :/ software is also stuck on 16.3. 20.6 downloaded twice but failed to install. Service pushed 16.3 again and it installs fine and every previous update was successful. Hopefully mobile service takes care of it but it’s an infuriating issue to have.

Same. I have a 2022 MYP with 1355 miles. Just brought it to Tesla Service for an interior stain (from day 1 delivery) and for the screen issue as mine is quite bad. Entire screen freezes, reboots after about 4-5m and is only responsive for about 30 seconds after the reboot. Tesla left me in the dust and said there is no way to revert updates and I’ll have to stand by but it’s a known issue and to install the next update to fix it. DUDE THIS IS WHAT GOT ME HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE! He was a cool dude so I left it at that.

Big thing for me, as I have no idea if regen breaking is enabled or not; when I let off the accelerator. And yeah no speedometer, no ac or music controls either.

Link to my cars behavior, literally picking it up from being “completed” before business hours 0530ish

Unfortunately already dropped the loaner key off in the drop box, so there was no going back.

I updated to 2022.20.7 this afternoon and issue still persists.

Same. I have a 2022 MYP with 1355 miles. Just brought it to Tesla Service for an interior stain (from day 1 delivery) and for the screen issue as mine is quite bad. Entire screen freezes, reboots after about 4-5m and is only responsive for about 30 seconds after the reboot. Tesla left me in the dust and said there is no way to revert updates and I’ll have to stand by but it’s a known issue and to install the next update to fix it. DUDE THIS IS WHAT GOT ME HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE! He was a cool dude so I left it at that.

Big thing for me, as I have no idea if regen breaking is enabled or not; when I let off the accelerator. And yeah no speedometer, no ac or music controls either.

Link to my cars behavior, literally picking it up from being “completed” before business hours 0530ish

Unfortunately already dropped the loaner key off in the drop box, so there was no going back.

I updated to 2022.20.7 this afternoon and issue still persists.
Interesting. I have the same problem as you but it didn’t get bad until recently and I’ve been on 16.3 for a while. I had mobile service scheduled for the 30th but Tesla rescheduled me to a service center on 8/10. I’ve learned that regen is not lost when autopilot is active but as soon as you disable it autopilot won’t come on until it unfreezes and regen is immediately lost. Energy use seems to also be significantly higher during these moments. It felt like a memory leak at first but it seems to be affecting more than the MCU. Anyways Tesla checked logs and noticed a poor low voltage connection and seem confident that it’s the problem so fingers crossed 🤞

Attachments

• 7B6C0D68-F1BA-4C26-A845-051A4C3447E6.jpeg
    7B6C0D68-F1BA-4C26-A845-051A4C3447E6.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 159
Interesting. I have the same problem as you but it didn’t get bad until recently and I’ve been on 16.3 for a while. I had mobile service scheduled for the 30th but Tesla rescheduled me to a service center on 8/10. I’ve learned that regen is not lost when autopilot is active but as soon as you disable it autopilot won’t come on until it unfreezes and regen is immediately lost. Energy use seems to also be significantly higher during these moments. It felt like a memory leak at first but it seems to be affecting more than the MCU. Anyways Tesla checked logs and noticed a poor low voltage connection and seem confident that it’s the problem so fingers crossed 🤞
I am definitely going to include this in my appt. Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: ColoradoMike