Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 screen replacement time.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - my model 3 screen cracked overnight recently, with the screen operating all the apps whilst driving and going through the motions while driving, and I’m booked in for a replacement screen repair on Friday.

Has anyone had this happen to them and can they advise how long the maintenance repair takes?

How random is this? I live in Florida and the interior of my 3LR frequently gets over 150F in the Florida sun. What would cause the screen to crack at night randomly?

I would imagine pretty darn rare since my car has also gotten that hot in Southern California outdoor sun (inland) and I have had it for just under 4 years. I also do not remember seeing anything like a rash of these posts here over the time I have been here, and I see most threads that are in the model 3 subforum.

We have no idea what happened, but i would imagine there is more to this that we dont know than is being said.

Hi all - my model 3 screen cracked overnight recently, with the screen operating all the apps whilst driving and going through the motions while driving, and I’m booked in for a replacement screen repair on Friday.

Has anyone had this happen to them and can they advise how long the maintenance repair takes?
If counting just the work time and no wait, it can be replaced in under 30 minutes. I've taken my screen off to install an aftermarket mount and it didn't take long at all. Also, the screen just works after plugging it in and I don't believe there is any need to reinstall software or synchronize or to the car computer.

If counting just the work time and no wait, it can be replaced in under 30 minutes. I've taken my screen off to install an aftermarket mount and it didn't take long at all. Also, the screen just works after plugging it in and I don't believe there is any need to reinstall software or synchronize or to the car computer.

Tesla charges around $1,500 according to other posters. Very high price for such a low resolution panel.

This is the LG panel. It's a cheap screen to buy if you can figure out how to get it out of the plastic housing. Tesla doesn't replace the screen without the plastic which makes me think maybe it's glued in and can't be removed.

LA154WU1-SL01

Tesla charges around $1,500 according to other posters. Very high price for such a low resolution panel.

This is the LG panel. It's a cheap screen to buy if you can figure out how to get it out of the plastic housing. Tesla doesn't replace the screen without the plastic which makes me think maybe it's glued in and can't be removed.

LA154WU1-SL01
It is not made to be serviceable and you will likely break the screen if you try to open the plastic case. That's based on info from the people that were opening them up to hack in components that allow an HDMI out connection.

LA154WU1-SL01
Note that's just LCD display on the bottom, there is also a OGS touch panel on top (the screen part you linked does not include touch). When the OP says "cracked" I find it more likely something outside cracked (like maybe the top glass or the touch panel), not the LCD inside.

https://electronics360.globalspec.c...el-3-center-touchscreen-display-2017-19-model

Reactions: Dinevski

Note there was a thread of someone being able to get Tesla to cover it under warranty when the crack was hairline and there was no obvious impact point. However, don't assume you can take that case and force your local SC to do the same (even if an example invoice was provided), generally they don't take other SC actions as precedent, it's all evaluated case by case.
Model 3 screen spontaneously cracked

I would imagine pretty darn rare since my car has also gotten that hot in Southern California outdoor sun (inland) and I have had it for just under 4 years. I also do not remember seeing anything like a rash of these posts here over the time I have been here, and I see most threads that are in the model 3 subforum.

We have no idea what happened, but i would imagine there is more to this that we dont know than is being said.
I wish there was but sadly there isn't. I left the car last Thursday evening and it was fine, i entered it Friday morning for a long journey and the screen was going beserk and i noticed the hairline crack in the screen from the bottom centre to the right hand side upwards.