Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 screen spontaneously cracked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got into my Model 3 last night and the screen was going mad, moving the map by itself, not responding to touches, I hadn’t driven the car for a few days. On closer inspection in daylight there’s a fine crack the whole way across the screen. Nothing has ever hit it, it has just happened in the past couple of days the car has been parked up.

So what are the chances Tesla is going to believe me and cover it under warranty? Does anyone *here* even believe me?

Attachments

• 6297A8BF-F08C-4A49-8B07-4ECA35C6B4BA.jpeg
    6297A8BF-F08C-4A49-8B07-4ECA35C6B4BA.jpeg
    666.2 KB · Views: 951
Got into my Model 3 last night and the screen was going mad, moving the map by itself, not responding to touches, I hadn’t driven the car for a few days. On closer inspection in daylight there’s a fine crack the whole way across the screen. Nothing has ever hit it, it has just happened in the past couple of days the car has been parked up.

So what are the chances Tesla is going to believe me and cover it under warranty? Does anyone *here* even believe me?
if its a fine crack without any impact point damage I am not sure how you cold have done it TBH. Cracks like that happen on phones all the time when they get dropped but that's not really a factor here.

How old is the car? the weather has warmed up recently if its quite a new car it could be a manufacturing flaw that has failed due to thermal expansion. Not sure if you will be able to convince Tesla of that though :(

Reactions: TestPilot
if its a fine crack without any impact point damage I am not sure how you cold have done it TBH. Cracks like that happen on phones all the time when they get dropped but that's not really a factor here.

How old is the car? the weather has warmed up recently if its quite a new car it could be a manufacturing flaw that has failed due to thermal expansion. Not sure if you will be able to convince Tesla of that though :(
It’s 2019 so it has been through a few seasonal cycles by now. Fingers crossed they replace it for me. There are no signs of impact anywhere. I’ve had it from new and am the only person who drives it, so I would know if anything had ever hit it.

I’ll report back once I’ve been seen by the big T.

Sounds like you may have an uphill battle here. I am also the only driver of mine, but have many passengers. If you’re the same, Any chance one of them had hit / knocked it by accident? I hope the outcome isn’t too costly either way.

Anyone know what a screen costs? Shouldn’t be horrendous in my opinion as it’s just a screen and processing is down elsewhere….right?

Sounds like you may have an uphill battle here. I am also the only driver of mine, but have many passengers. If you’re the same, Any chance one of them had hit / knocked it by accident? I hope the outcome isn’t too costly either way.

Anyone know what a screen costs? Shouldn’t be horrendous in my opinion as it’s just a screen and processing is down elsewhere….right?
I fear you might be right, but I very rarely have passengers, usually only my wife.

Reactions: Mr H

Hi,
I had the same problem and Tesla replaced for free.

Hello fellow Model 3 owners 👋

Bad luck brought me to this forum where I will try to ask for your help.

Until recently me and my wife were very happy owners of the car. We own it since new (Dec 2020) and looking back we never regretted our decision of choosing Model 3 from a broad spectrum of EV's Norwegian market has to offer. I believe many of you here can say the same.

But then...

Last weekend the car was parked on the driveway since Saturday evening until Monday evening when we decided we take a plunge in a local swimming pool.
The trip was about 20mins. Everything was ok when we left home. Ten minutes into the drive the map started goin wild, zooming in and out, marking random locations and navigating there. The screen was also unresponsive to touches.

My first thought was maybe software fixation of some sort... Didn't think much about it at that moment.
We arrived our destination and went straight to the pool as we were going to use the last hour of the opening time.

Then we are back in the car with the screen still unresponsive. Before we left the place I rebooted it thinking it will solve the issue. Not before then we spotted the crack in the bottom of the screen. WHAT?! HOW?! Was our first reaction. We looked closely to check for possible impact points. There were none. Just a very fine crack. Nobody was even touching the screen at the time the map started going mad - when we think the crack appeared.

We couldn't start the car to leave for home as we have pin to drive protection on. Luckily there is the possibility to start it from the app. On the way home broken screen made few random telephone calls and played music of its will...

Deeply shocked, not thinking much or checking the web before hand I reported the problem in the app. Describing the situation in a similar manner as in this post for you. On Wednesday we went to drop in service as the closest available regular service spot was a month away.

Model 3 without a key element operating properly. The screen cracking by itself without any sort of external interference has to be sorted out as a product failure and covered on guarantee was our thinking.
Oh how wrong we were.

They made us cover 100% for replacement of the screen unit! :mad:

Our explanations were of no use. One of a surly serviceman kept implying it must have happened as a result of our input. Someone pressed the corner with its knee or hand, etc. A load of crap...
They closely monitor any suspect issues and keep it in their database and never heard of a similar case in the world he said!!!
I asked for his supervisor to come talk to us. He came back saying the supervisor will have nothing more to say than him. We have to cover the repair as they think it was caused by external force - our limbs or fingers.
Their justification for charging us goes like: "... it can be confirmed - force was applied to the screen..."

We didn't want to talk to the unpleasant serviceman any longer and needed the car to get back to work. We asked for the cracked screen unit, received it and left the place lighter by equivalent of 1500 us dollars :confused:
Sooo disappointed in Tesla service in Oslo.

So lucky you have such an understanding Tesla service in UK.

Thank you if you are still here reading this a bit lenghty post 🙏 Just wanted to present full picture of my case.

Here is where I want to ask for your help.

Marc Roberts and​

Genevazurich

Would that be possible for you to find invoices you received for the screen replacement and Tesla service justification for not charging you?

I will write an official complaint and don't want to come empty handed with my verbal story only. Your cases would serve as an examples confirming the possibility of screen cracking spontaneously in Model 3.

I found one more case in Swedish Tesla forum by the way.

You can see my invoice with their justification I marked red and picture of mine cracked screen.

I will keep you posted about development of the situation.

Cheers
Bart

Attachments

• invoice.jpg
    invoice.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 431
  • screen crack.jpg
    screen crack.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 431
Hello fellow Model 3 owners 👋

Bad luck brought me to this forum where I will try to ask for your help.

Until recently me and my wife were very happy owners of the car. We own it since new (Dec 2020) and looking back we never regretted our decision of choosing Model 3 from a broad spectrum of EV's Norwegian market has to offer. I believe many of you here can say the same.

But then...

Last weekend the car was parked on the driveway since Saturday evening until Monday evening when we decided we take a plunge in a local swimming pool.
The trip was about 20mins. Everything was ok when we left home. Ten minutes into the drive the map started goin wild, zooming in and out, marking random locations and navigating there. The screen was also unresponsive to touches.

My first thought was maybe software fixation of some sort... Didn't think much about it at that moment.
We arrived our destination and went straight to the pool as we were going to use the last hour of the opening time.

Then we are back in the car with the screen still unresponsive. Before we left the place I rebooted it thinking it will solve the issue. Not before then we spotted the crack in the bottom of the screen. WHAT?! HOW?! Was our first reaction. We looked closely to check for possible impact points. There were none. Just a very fine crack. Nobody was even touching the screen at the time the map started going mad - when we think the crack appeared.

We couldn't start the car to leave for home as we have pin to drive protection on. Luckily there is the possibility to start it from the app. On the way home broken screen made few random telephone calls and played music of its will...

Deeply shocked, not thinking much or checking the web before hand I reported the problem in the app. Describing the situation in a similar manner as in this post for you. On Wednesday we went to drop in service as the closest available regular service spot was a month away.

Model 3 without a key element operating properly. The screen cracking by itself without any sort of external interference has to be sorted out as a product failure and covered on guarantee was our thinking.
Oh how wrong we were.

They made us cover 100% for replacement of the screen unit! :mad:

Our explanations were of no use. One of a surly serviceman kept implying it must have happened as a result of our input. Someone pressed the corner with its knee or hand, etc. A load of crap...
They closely monitor any suspect issues and keep it in their database and never heard of a similar case in the world he said!!!
I asked for his supervisor to come talk to us. He came back saying the supervisor will have nothing more to say than him. We have to cover the repair as they think it was caused by external force - our limbs or fingers.
Their justification for charging us goes like: "... it can be confirmed - force was applied to the screen..."

We didn't want to talk to the unpleasant serviceman any longer and needed the car to get back to work. We asked for the cracked screen unit, received it and left the place lighter by equivalent of 1500 us dollars :confused:
Sooo disappointed in Tesla service in Oslo.

So lucky you have such an understanding Tesla service in UK.

Thank you if you are still here reading this a bit lenghty post 🙏 Just wanted to present full picture of my case.

Here is where I want to ask for your help.

Marc Roberts and​

Genevazurich

Would that be possible for you to find invoices you received for the screen replacement and Tesla service justification for not charging you?

I will write an official complaint and don't want to come empty handed with my verbal story only. Your cases would serve as an examples confirming the possibility of screen cracking spontaneously in Model 3.

I found one more case in Swedish Tesla forum by the way.

You can see my invoice with their justification I marked red and picture of mine cracked screen.

I will keep you posted about development of the situation.

Cheers
Bart
Hi Bart,

Feel free to include this in your complaint, sorry they're giving you grief, it's clearly something that happens...

Marc

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-31 at 11.35.30.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-31 at 11.35.30.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 427
Reactions: Barwit
Looking at the damage, I would say that the touch screen glass has been hit/stressed on the corner highlighted below at sometime during its life and with thermal expansion (it does get quite hot in the sun and when running) it finally decided to crack and therefore the touch screen stopped working.
If you car is only a few weeks old then it might down to Tesla but if it several months old then all bets are off.

Good luck fighting the claim...

Crack.jpg