Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 screen spontaneously cracked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at the damage, I would say that the touch screen glass has been hit/stressed on the corner highlighted below at sometime during its life and with thermal expansion (it does get quite hot in the sun and when running) it finally decided to crack and therefore the touch screen stopped working.
If you car is only a few weeks old then it might down to Tesla but if it several months old then all bets are off.

Good luck fighting the claim...

View attachment 810927

I know it wasn't neither hit nor stressed during it's live - almost 1,5 years of my possession.
In other words there was no exterior strength/force to cause the crack of the screen therefore I see no guilt on my side. I see this as a product failure Tesla should take responsibility for.
OP's Model 3 is much older than few weeks and even older that mine. So...
Please note that my car was parked for two days. The outside temperature then, did not exceed 16 degrees Celsius, so there was no exceptional heat inside. Your thermal expansion theory doesn't hold together.

Furthermore I wouldn't judge anything based on low quality picture. Please check those pics out 👇

Cheers
Bart

Attachments

• crack left hs.jpg
    crack left hs.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 188
  • crack right hs.jpg
    crack right hs.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 113
I know it wasn't neither hit nor stressed during it's live - almost 1,5 years of my possession.
Hi Bart, if it was a manufacturing issue it would have become apparent much sooner than 1.5 years. Glass doesn't crack on it's own, it needs to be hit, scratched or stressed in some way. You say you know it hasn't been hit, but I know when my wife gets in to my car her handbag gets pretty close to the screen as she puts it on the floor!
I don't have a screen protector fitted at the moment, but I'm beginning to think it might be a good investment given how clumsy she can be and what the cost of a replacement is at $1,500 !

Hi Bart, if it was a manufacturing issue it would have become apparent much sooner than 1.5 years. Glass doesn't crack on it's own, it needs to be hit, scratched or stressed in some way. You say you know it hasn't been hit, but I know when my wife gets in to my car her handbag gets pretty close to the screen as she puts it on the floor!
I don't have a screen protector fitted at the moment, but I'm beginning to think it might be a good investment given how clumsy she can be and what the cost of a replacement is at $1,500 !
If it hadn't happened to me, I would totally agree with you. How the glass can crack on its own right? I wouldn't believe it.

That is why I searched the web to check if there were cases like mine. I found this thread confirming my instance isn't the only one in the world.

Imagine you leave the car parked one evening in perfect order. Couple of days later you drive somewhere and during the drive the screen goes crazy. You spot a crack that you know wasn't there when you left. What do you do? You report it in the app being certain Tesla will cover it cause you know there was no input from your side in causing it. Then bam! You have to pay big money to cover for something you know you had nothing to do with. Makes you feel first pissed then very disappointed. You look for help trying to prove them wrong. I know I have the option from my insurance company to cover most of the expense. But using this option equals admitting you have been of fault. That is something I cannot accept.

Please check the topic of this thread. Do you mean OP and Genevazurich should have payed for their screens replacements? What do you think was the cause of the screen cracking in their cases?

Including my case, ones from this thread and one more I found in Sweden we have 4 cases. So impossible? No. Very rare? Yes.

4 cases with no sign of external force, no nicks on the glass edge.

In three cases, Tesla covers the repair under warranty. Honestly ? I find it unfair of Tesla.

A screen protector is something I will definitely consider putting on. For the future, where I can actually hit the screen with something.

✌️B.

Reactions: TestPilot
I'm afraid cracking on its own is exactly what happened to mine after nearly 3 years.
Heat and/or the design of the screen not providing adequate expansion/contraction room for the glass is my theory.
But I repeat, no external force other than temperature changes was applied to my screen. Tesla clearly agree as they replaced it under waranty.

Reactions: M3noob and Barwit
Hello fellow Model 3 owners 👋

Bad luck brought me to this forum where I will try to ask for your help.

Until recently me and my wife were very happy owners of the car. We own it since new (Dec 2020) and looking back we never regretted our decision of choosing Model 3 from a broad spectrum of EV's Norwegian market has to offer. I believe many of you here can say the same.

But then...

Last weekend the car was parked on the driveway since Saturday evening until Monday evening when we decided we take a plunge in a local swimming pool.
The trip was about 20mins. Everything was ok when we left home. Ten minutes into the drive the map started goin wild, zooming in and out, marking random locations and navigating there. The screen was also unresponsive to touches.

My first thought was maybe software fixation of some sort... Didn't think much about it at that moment.
We arrived our destination and went straight to the pool as we were going to use the last hour of the opening time.

Then we are back in the car with the screen still unresponsive. Before we left the place I rebooted it thinking it will solve the issue. Not before then we spotted the crack in the bottom of the screen. WHAT?! HOW?! Was our first reaction. We looked closely to check for possible impact points. There were none. Just a very fine crack. Nobody was even touching the screen at the time the map started going mad - when we think the crack appeared.

We couldn't start the car to leave for home as we have pin to drive protection on. Luckily there is the possibility to start it from the app. On the way home broken screen made few random telephone calls and played music of its will...

Deeply shocked, not thinking much or checking the web before hand I reported the problem in the app. Describing the situation in a similar manner as in this post for you. On Wednesday we went to drop in service as the closest available regular service spot was a month away.

Model 3 without a key element operating properly. The screen cracking by itself without any sort of external interference has to be sorted out as a product failure and covered on guarantee was our thinking.
Oh how wrong we were.

They made us cover 100% for replacement of the screen unit! :mad:

Our explanations were of no use. One of a surly serviceman kept implying it must have happened as a result of our input. Someone pressed the corner with its knee or hand, etc. A load of crap...
They closely monitor any suspect issues and keep it in their database and never heard of a similar case in the world he said!!!
I asked for his supervisor to come talk to us. He came back saying the supervisor will have nothing more to say than him. We have to cover the repair as they think it was caused by external force - our limbs or fingers.
Their justification for charging us goes like: "... it can be confirmed - force was applied to the screen..."

We didn't want to talk to the unpleasant serviceman any longer and needed the car to get back to work. We asked for the cracked screen unit, received it and left the place lighter by equivalent of 1500 us dollars :confused:
Sooo disappointed in Tesla service in Oslo.

So lucky you have such an understanding Tesla service in UK.

Thank you if you are still here reading this a bit lenghty post 🙏 Just wanted to present full picture of my case.

Here is where I want to ask for your help.

Marc Roberts and​

Genevazurich

Would that be possible for you to find invoices you received for the screen replacement and Tesla service justification for not charging you?

I will write an official complaint and don't want to come empty handed with my verbal story only. Your cases would serve as an examples confirming the possibility of screen cracking spontaneously in Model 3.

I found one more case in Swedish Tesla forum by the way.

You can see my invoice with their justification I marked red and picture of mine cracked screen.

I will keep you posted about development of the situation.

Cheers
Bart

Hello

I just came into this forum bc the exact same jut happened to my MY-2021, the map going al over, music playing by itself non response from the left side of the screen etc etc and boom the hair line crack which must’ve happen expontaneusly all by itself. Now is when I informed Tesla/service about the crack so I will see what they say but it is obvious there is a problem with those screens and I encorage you to save your invoice and request a refund bc that should e cover on the warranty

Hello

I just came into this forum bc the exact same jut happened to my MY-2021, the map going al over, music playing by itself non response from the left side of the screen etc etc and boom the hair line crack which must’ve happen expontaneusly all by itself. Now is when I informed Tesla/service about the crack so I will see what they say but it is obvious there is a problem with those screens and I encorage you to save your invoice and request a refund bc that should e cover on the warranty

I have been turned down on a warranty claim. I am asking for a reconsideration. If they do not cover it, I will take them to small claims court. Please see my sad tale in full elsewhere in this forum...

Last edited:
Hello fellow Model 3 owners 👋

Bad luck brought me to this forum where I will try to ask for your help.

Until recently me and my wife were very happy owners of the car. We own it since new (Dec 2020) and looking back we never regretted our decision of choosing Model 3 from a broad spectrum of EV's Norwegian market has to offer. I believe many of you here can say the same.

But then...

Last weekend the car was parked on the driveway since Saturday evening until Monday evening when we decided we take a plunge in a local swimming pool.
The trip was about 20mins. Everything was ok when we left home. Ten minutes into the drive the map started goin wild, zooming in and out, marking random locations and navigating there. The screen was also unresponsive to touches.

My first thought was maybe software fixation of some sort... Didn't think much about it at that moment.
We arrived our destination and went straight to the pool as we were going to use the last hour of the opening time.

Then we are back in the car with the screen still unresponsive. Before we left the place I rebooted it thinking it will solve the issue. Not before then we spotted the crack in the bottom of the screen. WHAT?! HOW?! Was our first reaction. We looked closely to check for possible impact points. There were none. Just a very fine crack. Nobody was even touching the screen at the time the map started going mad - when we think the crack appeared.

We couldn't start the car to leave for home as we have pin to drive protection on. Luckily there is the possibility to start it from the app. On the way home broken screen made few random telephone calls and played music of its will...

Deeply shocked, not thinking much or checking the web before hand I reported the problem in the app. Describing the situation in a similar manner as in this post for you. On Wednesday we went to drop in service as the closest available regular service spot was a month away.

Model 3 without a key element operating properly. The screen cracking by itself without any sort of external interference has to be sorted out as a product failure and covered on guarantee was our thinking.
Oh how wrong we were.

They made us cover 100% for replacement of the screen unit! :mad:

Our explanations were of no use. One of a surly serviceman kept implying it must have happened as a result of our input. Someone pressed the corner with its knee or hand, etc. A load of crap...
They closely monitor any suspect issues and keep it in their database and never heard of a similar case in the world he said!!!
I asked for his supervisor to come talk to us. He came back saying the supervisor will have nothing more to say than him. We have to cover the repair as they think it was caused by external force - our limbs or fingers.
Their justification for charging us goes like: "... it can be confirmed - force was applied to the screen..."

We didn't want to talk to the unpleasant serviceman any longer and needed the car to get back to work. We asked for the cracked screen unit, received it and left the place lighter by equivalent of 1500 us dollars :confused:
Sooo disappointed in Tesla service in Oslo.

So lucky you have such an understanding Tesla service in UK.

Thank you if you are still here reading this a bit lenghty post 🙏 Just wanted to present full picture of my case.

Here is where I want to ask for your help.

Marc Roberts and​

Genevazurich

Would that be possible for you to find invoices you received for the screen replacement and Tesla service justification for not charging you?

I will write an official complaint and don't want to come empty handed with my verbal story only. Your cases would serve as an examples confirming the possibility of screen cracking spontaneously in Model 3.

I found one more case in Swedish Tesla forum by the way.

You can see my invoice with their justification I marked red and picture of mine cracked screen.

I will keep you posted about development of the situation.

Cheers
Bart
This happened to me 2 weeks ago. My screen just went wild and when I left my car for service they discovered a hairline crack across the while screen. I had to pay 17.000 Nkr to get my car out from service ( which I need everyday for work) even though I explained that I never hit it with anything . I am the only driver and I rarely have anybody driving with me. I have the old screen and there is no sign of impact on the screen or on the frame around it. The people working at Moss service center were reakly unfriendly and claimed that they never heard of this happening before. It is not covered by insurance either and I would like to take it further in the system….but where to begin?

We just had the same issue yesterday. My wife went to drop our son at school and when she came back screen was not responsive. Only after looking closely she noticed a fine vertical crack along the screen. No other signs of physical damage, only barely visible line. Model Y 2021. Going to try to get it fixed by waranty.

If it hadn't happened to me, I would totally agree with you. How the glass can crack on its own right? I wouldn't believe it.

That is why I searched the web to check if there were cases like mine. I found this thread confirming my instance isn't the only one in the world.

Imagine you leave the car parked one evening in perfect order. Couple of days later you drive somewhere and during the drive the screen goes crazy. You spot a crack that you know wasn't there when you left. What do you do? You report it in the app being certain Tesla will cover it cause you know there was no input from your side in causing it. Then bam! You have to pay big money to cover for something you know you had nothing to do with. Makes you feel first pissed then very disappointed. You look for help trying to prove them wrong. I know I have the option from my insurance company to cover most of the expense. But using this option equals admitting you have been of fault. That is something I cannot accept.

Please check the topic of this thread. Do you mean OP and Genevazurich should have payed for their screens replacements? What do you think was the cause of the screen cracking in their cases?

Including my case, ones from this thread and one more I found in Sweden we have 4 cases. So impossible? No. Very rare? Yes.

4 cases with no sign of external force, no nicks on the glass edge.

In three cases, Tesla covers the repair under warranty. Honestly ? I find it unfair of Tesla.

A screen protector is something I will definitely consider putting on. For the future, where I can actually hit the screen with something.

✌️B.
Same thing happened to me!!! Any luck getting through to Tesla?

Screen was glitching when I got in my car after work. Resetted it when I got home and went upstairs for the night thinking it'll be fixed. Come down in the morning for work, noticed my car had been running all night and the heat fully blasted for a good 14 hours. No crack noticed. Frunk was opened.

Next day, car starts locking and unlocking while driving, screen still glitching, frunk and trunk keep opening on their own. Tesla says bring it in and they'll check if its a safety issue as I drive far to and from work.

I bring it in the next day, noticed a crack on my screen. Tesla says that's why all the functions are happening due to the crack. I advised them I didn't crack it however my theory was that it cracked during the fluctuation of temperature in Vancouver, Canada (it was quite cold that week). It was still glitching before the crack so I do believe it should be covered under manufacturers warranty.. However Tesla might not think so. :(

I have a third party comprehensive coverage, they said they would've reimbursed me but because I'm still under manufacturer warranty and that Tesla should cover the cost for me..

I didn't think to show them the videos I had taken before bringing it in to Tesla, so I've spoken with the manager for reconsideration and will go in this Friday to have them review... Super frustrating but wish me luck.

Same thing happened to me!!! Any luck getting through to Tesla?

Screen was glitching when I got in my car after work. Resetted it when I got home and went upstairs for the night thinking it'll be fixed. Come down in the morning for work, noticed my car had been running all night and the heat fully blasted for a good 14 hours. No crack noticed. Frunk was opened.

Next day, car starts locking and unlocking while driving, screen still glitching, frunk and trunk keep opening on their own. Tesla says bring it in and they'll check if its a safety issue as I drive far to and from work.

I bring it in the next day, noticed a crack on my screen. Tesla says that's why all the functions are happening due to the crack. I advised them I didn't crack it however my theory was that it cracked during the fluctuation of temperature in Vancouver, Canada (it was quite cold that week). It was still glitching before the crack so I do believe it should be covered under manufacturers warranty.. However Tesla might not think so. :(

I have a third party comprehensive coverage, they said they would've reimbursed me but because I'm still under manufacturer warranty and that Tesla should cover the cost for me..

I didn't think to show them the videos I had taken before bringing it in to Tesla, so I've spoken with the manager for reconsideration and will go in this Friday to have them review... Super frustrating but wish me luck.
Hi, I’m from Vancouver and I notice the exact same issue. My driver side door glass has a crack developing from the inside and when a Tesla mobile technician came to see it he said it doesn’t feel crack when rubbing finger from the outside but it does feel from the inside. He suggested me to visit local service center. I’ve been in touch with Tesla chat support and so far they think this repair would cost money and not covered in warranty. If someone has luck with warranty or claiming this in insurance please let me know. Thanks!