Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 screen went black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 screen went black as I was driving in Kuringai National Park.
No mobile reception but have had that before and screen stayed on.
Kept on driving. Was going to reset at home but the screen came on by itself after about 10 minutes.
Anyone else had this happen?

While driving I don't think so but I have had it freeze a few times while driving. Just a simple reboot fixed it. I've also had the screen stay black when I got into the car, again a reboot easily fixed it. Don't be afraid to reboot while driving.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Not entirely related but I've found after 2020.8.1 the screen takes quite a few seconds to turn on after I get into the car.

It used turn on the instant I open the door. Now I open the door, sit in the car and even after stepping on the brake I still have to wait a few seconds for the screen to turn on =(.

Not entirely related but I've found after 2020.8.1 the screen takes quite a few seconds to turn on after I get into the car.

It used turn on the instant I open the door. Now I open the door, sit in the car and even after stepping on the brake I still have to wait a few seconds for the screen to turn on =(.
I had that a couple of times as well

Same for me and very noticeable since 2020.8.x

car screen is now very slow to start ; I always end up with a black screen when I’m ready to drive it easily takes 20 seconds for the car to be ready to drive ...

Also Spotify is always marked « offline « when the thing finally boots up ; which never happened in the past

really makes the car look crappy ; I wish there was a way to report that do they listen to us :(

My Model 3 screen went black as I was driving in Kuringai National Park.
No mobile reception but have had that before and screen stayed on.
Kept on driving. Was going to reset at home but the screen came on by itself after about 10 minutes.
Anyone else had this happen?
It happens very occasionally although for some software releases it happens more often.

really makes the car look crappy ; I wish there was a way to report that do they listen to us :(
Its always worth reporting issues, that's how things get fixed - they are definitely listening.
Either use the bug report in the car by pressing the right steering wheel button and say "bug report" immediately followed by a short description - or from your Tesla account.
For complex things like 2-1 lane merges etc I've included things like grid coordinates etc, anything to help them figure out what is happening.
Using the in car report is interesting, if you're able to monitor your wifi, you will see the car upload large chunks of data.
Overriding AP will also trigger uploads so they can improve AP responses.
Either way - definitely worth reporting any issue you find.

It also worth remembering that new releases are constantly appearing every few weeks, so most fixes just get lumped into the standard "bug fixes and improvements" tagline.