Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Seat Comfort

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so much so that lower back pain / sciatica has been resurfacing in these past weeks

I used to have this problem, unrelated to any specific car model. I'm not a medical professional or ergonomist so take what I say with a healthy dose of salt, but the first thing I would do when you get in the seat is make the backrest angle higher than you are used to, then adjust everything else - distance to pedals, steering wheel reach, seat squab angle etc. around that. I had been setting the backrest way too upright.

I found by doing this you avoid pinching off blood flow to the lower back/thigh area.

It's been about 6-7 weeks since I picked up a Model 3 and I've not been able to find a driving seat position that's comfortable, so much so that lower back pain / sciatica has been resurfacing in these past weeks. I've tried all different levels of adjustment but cannot find one that my body agrees with.

I'm not going to blame the seats but my lack of ability to find a suitable configuration for me.

Has anybody had similar issues and found a process to find their ideal seating position? For reference I'm fairly average at 5'8" / 172cm and 11.5st / 73kg.

TIA.
Hello,
I have same issue and after just 2k miles called the technician and he said everything is OK. After another 10k I feel that whenever I steer to left, I am almost falling out of the right bolster. Called technician again and they say everything if fine. I tried all possible adjustments without luck. No issues with passenger seat or driving other Tesla cars or different cars. Now they say is wear and tear and if I want my seat replaced I need to pay for it.
I need to mention that I am sitting perfectly in the middle of the seat and since I got the car I am constantly needing to adjust position when driving ( and is worse on longer trips)
I am 156cm tall and 62 kg.
Not what you would expect from Tesla.

Hello,
I have same issue and after just 2k miles called the technician and he said everything is OK. After another 10k I feel that whenever I steer to left, I am almost falling out of the right bolster. Called technician again and they say everything if fine. I tried all possible adjustments without luck. No issues with passenger seat or driving other Tesla cars or different cars. Now they say is wear and tear and if I want my seat replaced I need to pay for it.
I need to mention that I am sitting perfectly in the middle of the seat and since I got the car I am constantly needing to adjust position when driving ( and is worse on longer trips)
I am 156cm tall and 62 kg.
Not what you would expect from Tesla.
Clearly not normal and you are entitled to replacement at no cost. The process of getting there is the challenge of course ...

I have a model 3 and I find the seat is too concave in the upper back portion. Super uncomfortable compared to any other car I've driven. This is exacerbated by the fact that the suspension and headrest are both firm and if my head rests against the headrest, it keeps bouncing off the headrest as I go over small bumps.

I bought this:

Placed it at the upper portion of the seat to fill in the part that's concave. Surprisingly, even 1.25" is too thick. So, I used scissors to cut away at the foam insert to make it thinner. I also tapered the bottom, basically turning the rectangular cross section into a triangle, so that the bottom blends with the lower portion of the seat.

So far, it's significantly more comfortable than anything else I've tried but it's clear that it's still too thick and needs to be trimmed even more.

I suspect even just a 1/2" thick patch of extra interior foam at the top portion of the seat would make the seat dramatically more comfortable. But I don't think I want to attempt this.

Reactions: Skavatar
I tried reversing the headrest in my Model 3, but it felt super unsafe because of how far back it was. I tried all sorts of pillows and cushions. Eventually found a solution that works for me.

I took a 12x12 inch piece of 1/2 inch thick memory foam and added it inside the seat. Picture is below.

This does two things, it makes the upper back portion of the seat slightly less concave, and it pushes your upper back slightly forward away from the headrest.

I'm still not crazy about the comfort of the seat, but it's comfortable enough. This is the only solution I've found that allows me to drive without thinking about seat comfort.

PXL_20240218_203612584.jpg

I keep the lumbar support fully inflated plus a small pillow and a neck support from the internet

Has anyone else tried one of the lumbar supports available from Teslaunch or Morfit UK for Model Y? Or anything else anyone tried as I find the seat too concave in the upper portion and bit of gap in lumbar region eventhough the lumbar support is fully inflated. My previous Model 3 was ok I was comfy in that. And the 2019 courtesy car was a perfect fit. But this one looks like it needs lot of padding up to fit my contour.

I was looking at these two, any reviews will help:

Are the seats any different in the Highland, apart from being ventilated?
Had a test drive a bit ago and I think they are. The sides of the seats didnt seem to go up quite as much so if larger body size I could see it being more comfortable. Also I felt like the seat wasn't quite as squishy as it is on our 2023 M3P, so a little less soft but still very comfortable.