Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Seat memory restore positioning issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

No42

Jun 25, 2018
WA
I am using easy entry feature on my Model 3 and noticed that after few days of usage it starts to deviate from original saved position when restoring my profile.
Over time after multiple ins and outs when seat goes back and force, it gets more obvious, so I need to re-save the seat/steering position again.
I have verified the issue using a tape to mark seat position and I see the shift from original position over time.
This btw applies to steering as well but less noticeable.

Did you guys notice similar problem?

I am using easy entry feature on my Model 3 and noticed that after few days of usage it starts to deviate from original saved position when restoring my profile.
Over time after multiple ins and outs when seat goes back and force, it gets more obvious, so I need to re-save the seat/steering position again.
I have verified the issue using a tape to mark seat position and I see the shift from original position over time.

Yep I’ve noticed the same thing.

OK So it’s not just me ;). I have to reset the seat and steering about once a week and re-save.

The seats not staying where you saved them are coming close to driving me completely crazy. I have to constantly readjust them to the point where it’s maddening. My wife thought I’ve developed some sort of OCD (which would be a first for me), until I started using a tape measurer to prove to her the car was moving the seat on me.

They absolutely do not restore correctly. They’ll be times when I adjust only the steering wheel tilt, hit restore, and then the entire seat moves into a new position even though nothing on the seat was changed. Other times restore will work perfectly fine. There doesn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason as to why or when it works and doesn’t. I don’t use easy entry, but my wife and I both drive the car and switch back and forth between our two profiles.

I tried creating a new profile every time I made a change, to see if it helped, but it didn’t.

My plan going forward is to not touch the seat at all and not let anyone else drive the car (apologies to my wife), so we never have to use restore, and see if the seat stays where it is. Hopefully it’s not moving overnight when the car sleeps and it’s only an issue of restoring itself to a certain position.

Totally defeats the purpose of having driver profiles to save, but I feel it’s better to lose that and keep my sanity.

Would love to know if this is a software issue, or if someone has had this remedied by a service appointment (some kind of seat calibration?). Would happily bring it in to be fixed if it’s something that they can actually fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seth2020
Mine has been fine since I disabled easy entry. My wife rare,y drives the car, so profiles aren’t often switched.

Tesla is probably timing the seat-motor runs to reposition the seat. Variances in friction will make that method inaccurate. After several seat position changes the errors add up. Without some type of seat position sensor, it’ll be hard to fix this.