Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 seat upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would get it done. Here's an option available online. I have no experience with them though. This is way more surgery than I would like to do though.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
I have a Model Y for a couple of days test drive. I’m basically convinced on the car, but the hot seats thing has totally thrown me. I’m in Ireland, so not exactly hot here (20C tops), but having driven the car a bunch of 1 hour trips, I find my legs and back sweaty every time. The heated seats are off, the AC is on and I’ve never experienced this in other cars with leather seats so it’s down to the seat cushion/cover material.

Feels like a very trivial reason not to buy a car, but this would irritate me every time I get into the car. I’d happily pay for a fix.

Dredging up an old thread but I've been thinking about something that this crowd might have some ideas on. Reading reviews on the aftermarket cooled seat covers, it seems like the back (most critical for me) doesn't get much cooling.

On the existing seats, there's a gap between the seat and seat back (of course) and, behind the seat, it's sort of covered by the upholstery except for openings on either side. Was thinking it might be possible to inject some cool air by running a tube in there tapped off of the rear vent air source. That way, it could be turned on by enabling rear vents. Obviously, it would use more energy than a dedicated cooled seat but no more than the already running AC.

Originally, I was thinking of covering the rear vents with the intake of that tube but I'm trying to figure out if there might be a more elegant (hidden/permanent) solution that could tap the source inside the center console; maybe with a manual mixing valve so allow rear vent priority as necessary. I've been looking for schematics but not having much luck even with the maintenance manual. Any ideas?

Will probably try a proof of concept using the original cover idea and post the results.

I just had my seats reupholstered in Katzkin perforated leather and they added the "Degreez" ventilated seat option. I'm really happy with them. We drive a lot between Portland and Palm Springs, so I appreciate the ventilation on long road trips.