Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 seats are horrible compromise decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think all you who think these seats are comfortable and don't agree with the OP must not have any back issues. I have back issues and the M3 seats are indeed uncomfortable. Even my doctor told me what you want for back problems are stiff and sportive seats without any give. That's because give lets the back go into bad posture positions. When I am in my wife's Mazda RX9, for example, I don't ever have any back pain because the seats have very little give and are very supportive with thick real stitched leather and large side bolster support. M3 seats give me pain after just a few minutes.

I'm in the same boat. The gen 1 seats were tolerable, but I get shooting pains after a few hours in the gen 2 seats (never had a problem with the seats in the Roadster, S, or X). Fortunately I found this "butt cup" on Amazon which solves the problem for me. Passing along the link if anyone else wants to try it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CP2SDZ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Reactions: beachmiles
3) Seat base length. Too short to properly support the bottom of the legs for someone of my height (5' 10") without creating pressure. I'm 175 lbs not 250 so it's not my weight or legs. Would a little more length hurt?

Finally! I've found someone else with this exact same complaint! I have many threads on Twitter about my experience (pain) with the seat bottoms being too short. I'm 6'2" AND I drive 1,100 miles per week, 48 weeks per year!

I've only had my Model 3 since last October. I currently have over 15,000 miles on it, and I'm now experimenting with a cushion between my left leg and the door to keep my leg from resting in a rotated position. It puts pressure on the piriformis muscle and causes me extreme pain in my left hip. My 2014 Model S has better support in this area because the seat bottoms almost extend to the backs of my knees.

I'm so used to my European cars having that adjustable knee support. Tesla needs this in the 3.

Look through this thread starting here: Nicholas T. Gallman on Twitter

You can see how far my knees are from where the seats stop as well as the cushion I'm testing to see if it helps.

Do push ups, pull ups and sits up everyday to strengthen your back and any car seat will be comfortable

Model 3's seats are the most cushioned seats in a car I've ever sat in. I love them
"Most cushioned" does not mean most comfortable. Bad backs need support and something cushy is the opposite of support because they give in too much, promoting bad posture. I find that stiffer seats like the ones in the BMWs or Mazda CX9 are much more comfortable for my bad back.

Reactions: rlb4
Do push ups, pull ups and sits up everyday to strengthen your back and any car seat will be comfortable

For those of us that can feel the medal because they didnt put in enough padding your comment is silly. The variation between seats is insane, they replaced a component of mine and now it has co.pletely different problems but actually worse.

How many service visits does it take to get a seat as good as Gen 1 seats? Sigh.

• Informative
My C class seats are more supportive but my 3’s seats are far more comfy. Side bolsters need help, I felt far more secure in my e46 M3’s seats.

One handy tip, when buckled pull the shoulder strap sharply until it locks, then pull/push it out hard to cinch down the lap belt. Helps me feel more locked down.

What I find way more obnoxious is the battery hump near the pedals. Really puts my foot in a weird position.

I am spoiled coming from Volvo XC90 Nappa Massage seats, but, in all honestly the Model 3 seats are mediocre. At first they feel great because they are soft and cushiony but for long trips, they really do not hold up. They should be firmer with better lumbar support.

Sometimes I am shocked by the cheap parts and sound system inside the Model 3, but then I forget about it when I hit accelerate by someone.

I am spoiled coming from Volvo XC90 Nappa Massage seats, but, in all honestly the Model 3 seats are mediocre. At first they feel great because they are soft and cushiony but for long trips, they really do not hold up. They should be firmer with better lumbar support.

Sometimes I am shocked by the cheap parts and sound system inside the Model 3, but then I forget about it when I hit accelerate by someone.
I thought the 3's sound system is rather pretty good. What don't you like about it?

It's fine, but mostly flat and lacking in the highs. At 30k-40k, the system is pretty good, but at 45-50k it is lacking IMO. Competing systems from Volvo, BMW, Audi, etc in the 45-60k range are MUCH better. I don't know if it is the amp or the speakers or both. I remind myself that Tesla's investment is in the drivetrain, battery, etc and that is why the car can be priced the way it is. The competing Polestar will be in the 60k range and likely will have better sound but at a cost.

I alternate between my Volvo XC90 (dogs) and my M3 often. My XC90 has a Bower Wilkins system which is absolutely amazing so I might be harsh on the M3's system. The Volvo is the first I have owned where I did not want to rip and replace the audio system. I am an audiophile that does a lot of critical listening so I am tough critic.

It's fine, but mostly flat and lacking in the highs. At 30k-40k, the system is pretty good, but at 45-50k it is lacking IMO. Competing systems from Volvo, BMW, Audi, etc in the 45-60k range are MUCH better. I don't know if it is the amp or the speakers or both. I remind myself that Tesla's investment is in the drivetrain, battery, etc and that is why the car can be priced the way it is. The competing Polestar will be in the 60k range and likely will have better sound but at a cost.

I alternate between my Volvo XC90 (dogs) and my M3 often. My XC90 has a Bower Wilkins system which is absolutely amazing so I might be harsh on the M3's system. The Volvo is the first I have owned where I did not want to rip and replace the audio system. I am an audiophile that does a lot of critical listening so I am tough critic.
I feel like the system in the Model 3 sounded better than the HK systems in recent BMWs as well the Bang and Olufsen system in my R8. But I'm not an audiophile, so there's that.

I feel like the system in the Model 3 sounded better than the HK systems in recent BMWs as well the Bang and Olufsen system in my R8. But I'm not an audiophile, so there's that.

I don't doubt it. Some high-end systems are underwhelming and basically just a label as they are implemented without thought in speaker placement and acoustics. Volvo and BW designed everything from the ground up. For example, the subwoofer is built into the subframe.

The Bowers & Wilkins Audio System for the Volvo XC90

I will add that the speaker placement of the M3 is both unique and good. It does lend itself to an upgrade path that would show great results. It is very likely the doors would need additional dampening.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CrazyCoconut
OP. Have you thought about trying to retro fit the MD seats you like into your M3? This would be pretty cool. I know many of my friends who have put new year BMW m3 seats into older years because they like the new look and feel ect.

During the first week of ownership, after only an hour in the driver's seat, my back would be so sore I was afraid it was going to become undrivable. I spent more time fine-tuning my driving position than in any other car, but I can report that, while not perfect, it got substantially better. Perhaps the seat also needed to be broken into some degree.

Finally! I've found someone else with this exact same complaint! I have many threads on Twitter about my experience (pain) with the seat bottoms being too short. I'm 6'2" AND I drive 1,100 miles per week, 48 weeks per year!

I've only had my Model 3 since last October. I currently have over 15,000 miles on it, and I'm now experimenting with a cushion between my left leg and the door to keep my leg from resting in a rotated position. It puts pressure on the piriformis muscle and causes me extreme pain in my left hip. My 2014 Model S has better support in this area because the seat bottoms almost extend to the backs of my knees.

I'm so used to my European cars having that adjustable knee support. Tesla needs this in the 3.

Look through this thread starting here: Nicholas T. Gallman on Twitter

You can see how far my knees are from where the seats stop as well as the cushion I'm testing to see if it helps.

I stuff a towel between the side seat bolster and the door on long trips, the foam in the seat there is an absolute joke, it is like it was made from a pillow and does not support your leg in any way, it can be totally flattened by pushing with a few fingers. I don't know who designed these seats but they have no idea about ergonomics. Yes they seats are also too short which car lead to issues as well. Perhaps they consulted with the guy at "My Pillow" when they made these vs vastly superior design on the S. Just changing the foam would make them significantly better. Tesla should have had the design and spec outsourced as they did on the S.

Reactions: super20g and rlb4
I doubt there is a car in existence where EVERYONE would agree they think the seats are comfortable. People come in all shapes and sizes and making a "perfect" seat seems impossible to me. That said, the M3 seats are probably one of the things most people say are good about the M3, but you can't please everyone. I have an LR RWD (premium interior.)

Reactions: elf9 and WilliamG
It normally takes me only minutes to get a seat the way I want it. With my M3 it took me a week of changing things to get it. The lumbar support was the hardest and, as I understand it, that is not saved in the profile memory, so nobody gets to change that ever. The seat definitely needs to be deeper front to back.

Volvo seats are the best of any car I have ever driven. Actually nothing else comes close. Just not fair comparing with Volvos.

The seats in my P3D are very comfortable and work well for long trips, but I don't think they'd be good at all for track driving. (I have not driven it on a track, but would like to at some point). On the performance version at least, they should add an option for seats that are more suited to track driving. In my 2015 Model S I had the "next gen" seats, which were made by Recaro and they were a nice snug fit that would have been great for the track.