Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Seats Causing Excessive Sweating, any breathable cover recommendations?

Dinko

Oct 19, 2021
New Zealand
Last month I purchased a new Model 3, and I've just picked it up this week.

One thing I've noticed when getting out of the car (despite having AC on pretty chilly) is that my back and bum are quite moist from sweat.

I did not have this issue in my previous car (a KIA Cerato with fabric/mesh seats).

This is pretty much the only gripe I have with this car.

TBF I am a pretty sweaty person, often when I sit on plastic seats I leave behind a sweat stain. But my sweatiness is not the topic of discussion. If you have any recommendations for breathable seat covers however, please let me know.

Dinko

Oct 19, 2021
New Zealand
Are you using fabric softener when washing your shirts? Fabric softener coats clothing in a moister impermeable coating, which kills any ability for clothing to wick moisture away.
I was actually made aware of this on a reddit thread a few years ago. I've since stopped using softener. It's just the way my body works.

Do you have any recommendations for seat covers, or websites which might sell them? Would be keen to find some good ones, but all Google has turned up look pretty cheap.

earthwormjim

Jun 25, 2019
California
I was actually made aware of this on a reddit thread a few years ago. I've since stopped using softener. It's just the way my body works.

Do you have any recommendations for seat covers, or websites which might sell them? Would be keen to find some good ones, but all Google has turned up look pretty cheap.

I don't have good recommendations. Have you checked Aliexpress though? Most aftermarket stuff starts out in the Chinese market, before importers pick from the best looking stuff to import and rebadge.

medphys3

Feb 10, 2020
Northwest Ohio
This is all I can think of. Not cheap though.

afadeev

Feb 28, 2019
NYC
Last month I purchased a new Model 3, and I've just picked it up this week.
One thing I've noticed when getting out of the car (despite having AC on pretty chilly) is that my back and bum are quite moist from sweat.
I did not have this issue in my previous car (a KIA Cerato with fabric/mesh seats).

Yeah, it's a known problem.
Tesla had down-graded its seat and steering wheel materials to polyurethane plastic crap (aka vegan-leather, aka faux-leather), caving to pressure from PETA.
For marketing purposes, Tesla insists on calling polyurethane "vegan leather", except that it has nothing to do with leather, and has none of the breathability, or durability, or quality, or luxurious feel of leather. Since it's not animal-sourced, Tesla gets to call it "vegan".

This is pretty much the only gripe I have with this car.
TBF I am a pretty sweaty person, often when I sit on plastic seats I leave behind a sweat stain. But my sweatiness is not the topic of discussion. If you have any recommendations for breathable seat covers however, please let me know.

If I were you, I would look into either upgrading the seats (re-upholster, add ventilation), or replace them altogether.
There a few aftermarket companies that offer seat re-upholstering upgrades.
Google around, or start here: Are Tesla Seats Real Leather? (Durability Test) - Rechargd

HTH,
a

BigNick

Infamous Fat Sweaty Guy
Dec 3, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
T-Sportline offers seat upgrades to real leather. They ship worldwide.

$1600 to $1700 USD isn't cheap, but isn't ridiculously expensive either (though shipping to NZ might be costly.) It also requires professional installation.
(I have not purchased this product so I can't vouch for its quality, and I have no affiliation with T-Sportline.)

Nautilus802

Dec 7, 2021
Texas
You are basically sitting on plastic, so its no surprise that this causes moisture to build up.

Cloth seats would honestly be a much much better option.

Even "real" leather in supposedly premium car makes these days is actually just compressed animal fibers that is then coated with a plastic substance. You have to really go to high end models to get the real deal these days--it is unbelievably nice if you get the real stuff.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC