Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Seats Causing Excessive Sweating, any breathable cover recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last month I purchased a new Model 3, and I've just picked it up this week.

One thing I've noticed when getting out of the car (despite having AC on pretty chilly) is that my back and bum are quite moist from sweat.

I did not have this issue in my previous car (a KIA Cerato with fabric/mesh seats).

This is pretty much the only gripe I have with this car.

TBF I am a pretty sweaty person, often when I sit on plastic seats I leave behind a sweat stain. But my sweatiness is not the topic of discussion. If you have any recommendations for breathable seat covers however, please let me know.

• Funny
Reactions: beachmiles and Mr X
Are you using fabric softener when washing your shirts? Fabric softener coats clothing in a moister impermeable coating, which kills any ability for clothing to wick moisture away.
I was actually made aware of this on a reddit thread a few years ago. I've since stopped using softener. It's just the way my body works.

Do you have any recommendations for seat covers, or websites which might sell them? Would be keen to find some good ones, but all Google has turned up look pretty cheap.

I was actually made aware of this on a reddit thread a few years ago. I've since stopped using softener. It's just the way my body works.

Do you have any recommendations for seat covers, or websites which might sell them? Would be keen to find some good ones, but all Google has turned up look pretty cheap.

I don't have good recommendations. Have you checked Aliexpress though? Most aftermarket stuff starts out in the Chinese market, before importers pick from the best looking stuff to import and rebadge.

One thing I've noticed when getting out of the car (despite having AC on pretty chilly) is that my back and bum are quite moist from sweat.
I did not have this issue in my previous car (a KIA Cerato with fabric/mesh seats).

Yeah, it's a known problem.
Tesla had down-graded its seat and steering wheel materials to polyurethane plastic crap (aka vegan-leather, aka faux-leather), caving to pressure from PETA.
For marketing purposes, Tesla insists on calling polyurethane "vegan leather", except that it has nothing to do with leather, and has none of the breathability, or durability, or quality, or luxurious feel of leather. Since it's not animal-sourced, Tesla gets to call it "vegan".

TBF I am a pretty sweaty person, often when I sit on plastic seats I leave behind a sweat stain. But my sweatiness is not the topic of discussion. If you have any recommendations for breathable seat covers however, please let me know.

If I were you, I would look into either upgrading the seats (re-upholster, add ventilation), or replace them altogether.
There a few aftermarket companies that offer seat re-upholstering upgrades.
Google around, or start here: Are Tesla Seats Real Leather? (Durability Test) - Rechargd

HTH,
a

T-Sportline offers seat upgrades to real leather. They ship worldwide.

$1600 to $1700 USD isn't cheap, but isn't ridiculously expensive either (though shipping to NZ might be costly.) It also requires professional installation.
(I have not purchased this product so I can't vouch for its quality, and I have no affiliation with T-Sportline.)

You are basically sitting on plastic, so its no surprise that this causes moisture to build up.

Cloth seats would honestly be a much much better option.

Even "real" leather in supposedly premium car makes these days is actually just compressed animal fibers that is then coated with a plastic substance. You have to really go to high end models to get the real deal these days--it is unbelievably nice if you get the real stuff.

Have you solved the issue? I have a new Model Y and experience the same thing, I get sweaty back while driving the car though it’s only 18C outside.

The neoprene is great for kids coming home from the beach. Sweat and liquid resistant and washable. Its more breathable and comfortable than vegan leather. They won't get super hot. I got them for my Tacoma when new and replaced them with the same. They survived 6 years of off roading beach going camping and everything and the OEM seats still look new. Got them for the M3 right away.

Cons - not wipeable, gotta keep them vacuumed and shampoo them on the seat for deeper cleaning. I got black for the M3 but when i had light grey in my Taco, stains really stood out. Installation - rear seats can be kind of a pain. Front seats got to take bolts off to get underneath. Seem to puncture and take damage more easily. I think they'll stay in nice condition in the Tesla but they looked rough when I replaced them in the truck.

They are waterproof so not sure about breathable but i do feel like i sweat much less YMMV.