Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 seats with lower back problems - others having discomfort?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a chronic bad lower back with pain.

In my Model S, it's quite comfy for me and I can drive 1-2 hours without any significant pain. Since taking delivery of my Model 3 a week and a half ago, I've had significant back discomfort while driving the 3. I've tried to adjust the seat and lumbar multiple times but can't quite get it right.

Are others having similar discomfort in the 3? Or is it me?

I don’t think the seats on the 3 are bad...but coming from the X...those seats are much more conformable. Except the headrest which is as hard as a rock.
I have the Next Generation seats on my S and for a couple of months I kept fidgeting and felt uncomfortable. It wasn't until I raised or lowered it, that I'm finally happy with it. I think I tried to make tilt similarly to my previous car and that was my mistake. I felt comfortable right away on the 3 and haven't had to make any significant changes to seat settings. It just varies with different people.

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd
Nextgen seats. No air suspension. It was pre-vegan seats so it's the regular leather.

The 3's seats feel closer to the original S seats (with a bit more thigh bolstering and a different headrest angle). They are very firm. I find them a bit less comfortable than the next gens in our P85D, but overall OK for me.

It might be the firmness causing trouble. Lots of folks had the same issue with the original seats, and there was even a modification Tesla could do to clip a few springs.

Dr Reid, I had the same problem. Took me 10 months to figure out. The lumbar support at the bottom back of the seat was inflating by itself all the time and putting pressure on a sensitive nerve I had in my lower back. I've been sitting on a pad to avoid it. Today I deflated and disabled the bladder and problem is gone! Yay.

I have a chronic bad lower back with pain.

In my Model S, it's quite comfy for me and I can drive 1-2 hours without any significant pain. Since taking delivery of my Model 3 a week and a half ago, I've had significant back discomfort while driving the 3. I've tried to adjust the seat and lumbar multiple times but can't quite get it right.

Are others having similar discomfort in the 3? Or is it me?
I have the same issue. I think it is because the Model 3 seats are too soft. My doctor told me that I need something more stiff for my bad back. It sounds unintuitive that softer hurts more but he said there isn't enough support to keep the back straight and with a soft seat, your pelvis will curve forward creating a more slouching position. When I sit in my wife's Mazda CX-9 which has very stiff hard leather supportive seats I feel much better.

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd and mswlogo
Dr Reid, I had the same problem. Took me 10 months to figure out. The lumbar support at the bottom back of the seat was inflating by itself all the time and putting pressure on a sensitive nerve I had in my lower back. I've been sitting on a pad to avoid it. Today I deflated and disabled the bladder and problem is gone! Yay.
I have the exact opposite problem. My lumbar bladder always deflates over night and my back is very painfull without it inflated to 100%. I have to reinflate it every-time I get in the car.

I have the same issue with it inflating on its own. How did you disable the bladder?

yes, I was getting lower back discomfort on a 1 hour commute. I constantly play with the model 3 seats. Feels like I am sitting on a marshmellow with poor lower back support and the bolsters are way too soft. I have the white seats. Right before I took the car in it felt like I was sitting on a bar or something. I weigh about 220lbs and 6 feel tall to give others an idea of size and height.

I have not have any discomfort in my loaner 2014 S 85 with air suspension which has the old style seats, which are not as comfortable as the new S seats.

So far I find the model 3 seats the least comfortable on all the teslas I have sat in, at least for longer commutes. The old gen 1 seats have allot to be desired (not enough bolsters or other support), but they do not cause me lower back pain.

I believe my lower back pain is from lack of general support in the soft marshmellow seats, while it feels comfortable when you first sit down, that's where it ends. The material is cushy but does not allow for proper support. I hope this does not become a great issue for me, like it did in my ford focus.

I think I sit more ergonomically when I put the back of the seat up more, but then I'm too tall to see out the window properly.

Last edited:
I have the same issue. I think it is because the Model 3 seats are too soft. My doctor told me that I need something more stiff for my bad back. It sounds unintuitive that softer hurts more but he said there isn't enough support to keep the back straight and with a soft seat, your pelvis will curve forward creating a more slouching position. When I sit in my wife's Mazda CX-9 which has very stiff hard leather supportive seats I feel much better.

.. bit off topoc..but the newer cx9 has amazingly comfy seats. Way better than an x5. The ventilated/ Volvo seats like on the v90 is what tesla should be aspiring for.

Reactions: bd7349 and Perry
I have just recovered from middle back problems, a little different than lower back. I had to play with the seat back position and then the lumbar position until I found a very comfortable position. I make a regular 250 mile trip to see grandkids and I think the seats are great. I have had no issue with the lumbar support once I set it.

Same chronic low back problems. Initially loved the 3's seats in the showroom, but that is where the love affair ended...

I have played with them every which way and they just don't give proper support. They are way too soft. For some reason under the seat there is a bunch of little foam bits, not sure why.

I didn't have any problem in the 2018 Model S loaner I had for 5 weeks...

I don't see how the 3's seats are ever going to stand the test of time 10 years down the road...

I've been dealing with a bad lower back for about 35 years (surgery at age 19). I have to be pretty picky about seats and I find the Model 3 to be quite comfortable. It took a little while to find the sweet spot, though.

The Gen 1 Model S seats were not great for me. After about 1.5-2 hours, I was squirming. Not so, with the Model 3. I guess I have the Gen 2 seats in the 3 - July build, black.

One thing to remember about the Model 3 is that you can move the steering wheel much more freely. Since there is no instrument cluster to peer at through the wheel, you are free to adjust it purely for comfort (and usability, of course). A different steering wheel position can allow different seat arrangements. Don't forget to try all the options.

For reference, I'm 6 feet tall, 185 pounds and I'm one of the long-torso builds (my torso thinks I'm 6'4" but my legs know better). I find it best to have knees and elbows bent to about 90-120 angles, which is consistent with doctors' advice. I keep the seat fairly low for head room, pretty far forward for my short legs, and tilted back (IOW, I raise the front part of the seat for thigh support, which also tilts the pelvis back). I also keep the back reclined a bit more than most people find comfortable -- not gangsta-low, but pretty low. My wheel is positioned so that I can see the forward part of the dash over the top and telescoped towards me, to keep my elbows comfortably bent.

I know that's not really likely to work for many others, but it works well for me. The point is to use all the variability you've been given. A 12-way seat is 6 degrees of freedom, plus the wheel is 2 more. That's a lot of options to play with. Good luck!

I have had pretty severe back problems over time. I just finished a 400 mile round trip road trip in the 3 with white interior. I thought it was great. No back issues at all. In my BMW I would occasionally get bad spasms after a road trip. The only thing on my wish list is extendable thigh supports since I am taller.

Man, I'm glad I found this thread. I have the same issues. I have nextgen seats in the S and never could get comfortable. I finally took one of the foam cushions off of the seat in my race car (old recaro seat) and used it as a lumbar support. That did the trick. Now I'm having the same problem with the white seats in the 3. I guess I'll just use that same cushion and transport it back and forth between the cars. I think the issue for me is that the lumbar support doesn't go low enough. Even at its lowest, it's still hitting me a little too high. Also, the Model 3 seats are lousy for performance driving. There is nowhere near enough side bolster support. I'm sure they will fix that eventually, but Porsche seats are way better. My wife's last BMW had sport seats and I hated those too, so I am aware that I am just a malcontent in the seat department.