Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 seats with lower back problems - others having discomfort?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been playing with the settings and I'm really trying to nail the sweet spot before my 16+ hr drive to MO from NY in a few weeks. I don't have a long commute so its hard to know if the settings i currently have is gonna hold up for more than my 5 mile commute to work. I only notice when I drove 70 miles upstate and halfway through my lower back was hurting.

Reactions: Glamisduner
Just did yet another 300 mile round trip.
They are the most comfortable seats I’ve had in a car.
Took a bit to get a decent driving position but now is outstanding.
Had to change seat position to take advantage of the different footwell heights so I could move my feet around and change hip angles etc. much further back and less upright than other cars I’ve had.
Very satisfied now.

I had a July build RWD with black interior that fit me like a glove. Loved the feel!

I now have a Performance with white interior and can honestly say I'm missing the black seats. These white ones are far too mushy and harder to get settled.

Why can't they just change the outer material color but keep the same seats? IMO these are totally different seats.

Why can't they just be the same seats

After one week in my 3, not liking the seats. As others have said, they’re too soft, thigh support does not extend out enough, and I find that the bolsters, while soft, pinch my hips (and I’m a 5’10” thin/normal build) and hurt. I sooooo miss the cloth plaid seats in my VW GTI. They were perfect, firm but comfortable, wide but the bolsters still served their function, very adjustable - loved them. Now I’m sad.

• Informative
Reactions: ediflyer
A lot of people don't adjust the seats properly.
The most common issue is not adjusting the front of the seat up high enough to support the legs.
The more weight you can shift from the tail bone to the thigh area the less pressure on your lower back.
The lumbar bladder doesn't reduce the pressure on the lower back, it adds it.
I would say, equal pressure on the legs and the tail bone is the perfect spot.

Reactions: evannole
I have a bad lower back and long drives usually aggravate it. So far the 3 has been very kind to my back. Have you made sure that you aren't sitting in an unusual position? For whatever reason I tend to sit a little sideways in the 3 (and in general) so I make sure to stay mindful of that.

We have 2 M3's, an April delivery (my car: Gen 1 seats) and an August delivery (wife's, Gen 2). I must say I particularly prefer the Gen 2. Unfortunately, we have the AP on the earlier car, so that's what gets taken on road trips.

Now, if I could swap the AP to the second car..... (offered to swap seats with the wifey, but she wouldn't have it.)

A lot of people don't adjust the seats properly.
The most common issue is not adjusting the front of the seat up high enough to support the legs.
The more weight you can shift from the tail bone to the thigh area the less pressure on your lower back.
The lumbar bladder doesn't reduce the pressure on the lower back, it adds it.
I would say, equal pressure on the legs and the tail bone is the perfect spot.
I had this issue with my Model S. After finally adjusting it due to constant shifting when driving and an aching ass, it is comfortable to me now. I do have the original seats on the Model 3 (pre-Alcantaragate) so I have no basis of comparison to the newer seats. Unless I drive very long distances, I've been mostly fine with the comfort.

LOL, man people's bodies are different. I prefer the old Model S seats over the nextgen ones. But of the nextgen, the fabric (only fabric S I've ever sat in) felt better than the leather ones.

My 3 is fine. I do have to adjust my seating position to make sure I am pressed up against the whole seat as I tend to slide forward, but otherwise I'm good. I'm a bit on the fence with how super soft the seat is, but overall, I think it's necessary as the suspension is so ridiculously stiff, I need the super softness to absorb all those bumps.

I picked up my M3 on July 1. I thought, and still think, the seats were/are very comfortable (as does everybody who's ridden in it). My only complaint is that the headrests aren't adjustable. My 2010 E550 had a couple of cool features that I wish my M3 had, built-in massager and auto adjusting side bolsters (they'd inflate to keep you in position if you take a hard turn). I do think the memory changes by itself in my M3. Many times it feels like it is further back when I get in it (I have easy entry on so it goes back and forth getting in and out) after it goes to the memory position when hitting the brake pedal. I have taken a couple of trips to Tahoe (400 miles rt) without any issues. In general I do have many pains (back, shoulder, foot, etc.) but none are related to the car.

IMO, the side bolsters should be another inch or two apart, as they press uncomfortably on my hips, the seat bucket is too deep and too soft, the seat should be bigger front to back, and the lumbar is difficult to adjust and doesn’t seem to hold its place (and is not included in the seat memory). Lots to be desired. Oh well, because it’s not changing. Which is a shame on a car otherwise so nice.

Reactions: ediflyer
I had some issues with the seats aggravating my lower back issues early on, but the solution for me was to DECREASE the lumbar support inflation. It was putting too much pressure, and it appears to be very narrow pressure right on the spine, versus my 2010 BMW 5-series where the lumbar support provided a much wider area of lumbar support. Feels to me that the lumbar balloon or whatever is too small.

Anyway, after reducing the inflation it's been fine.

We have 2 M3's, an April delivery (my car: Gen 1 seats) and an August delivery (wife's, Gen 2). I must say I particularly prefer the Gen 2. Unfortunately, we have the AP on the earlier car, so that's what gets taken on road trips.

Now, if I could swap the AP to the second car..... (offered to swap seats with the wifey, but she wouldn't have it.)

How are Model 3 gen 1 vs gen 2 front seats different? Thanks in advance.

The metal bar that runs on the side of the seats is KILLING my hip and left leg. I am getting squeezed into my seat by a metal bar.

I noticed this sitting in a showroom car, and have it with my MS. Really bad design to have a virtually unpadded metal bar in that position. If you raise the seat it improves a little, but unless the Euro seats are different, it's probably the dealbreaker for me.

I tend to be a side sleeper and some mornings I wake up with a bit of a backache. I actually look forward to getting in my Model 3 for a coffee run first thing and find sitting in the car for a while helps my back. When I do start to feel my back maybe starting to feel uncomfortable after sitting a while driving I find adjusting my butt in the seat’s lower cushion, think pushing it back into the seat at the two cushion planes is better, helps align my spine. Also have become more conscious of my “dead pedal” foot. Noticed I have a tendency to bend it at the knee with foot more on mat and sometimes I shift more weight to one leg than the other. Keeping the left leg straight out and on the dead pedal area helps with my posture. So does tilt of seat as others have said.

On hours long trips stopping along the way to get out and walk around a bit is probably a healthy thing to do to get blood flowing well everywhere.