TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 security ideas

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Jayc, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Jayc

Jayc Member

We already know that Model S is already one of the most difficult cars to break into or steal. I am opening this thread to discuss what others think of yet more layers of security.

As an example, there could be a secure key generated by the Tesla mobile app to unlock it before driving. Or a watchdog activity checker on the radio module to check that it is functioning well even if it is unable to pick up a mobile signal. The third idea would be for the car to hold its gps coordinates in secure non-volatile memory such that if it detects a significant change to gps coordinates without it being driven that distance, for it to go into a self deactivation mode unless that feature is defeated by owner. That would prevent it being hauled across without permission.

2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Secure key generated by the Tesla mobile app to unlock it before driving - no cell signal = can't drive?

If I see a woman with a Tesla and steal her purse with her cell phone and tesla keyfob in it... would any of your security measures have helped?

With regards to security think low tech first.

3. Jayc

Jayc Member

#3 Jayc, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    Don't forget that either the car and or mobile can be a transmitter so mobile signal is not mandatory. And nowadays bluetooth is on every mobile.

The idea behind additional security layers is to act as deterrents rather than complete prevention - lesson 0 in systems security. There is no cure for someone who is stupid but the main point here is that increasing the barriers would not make it any less secure. Basically, Tesla is already very good at this and they can increase their lead against the competition with little effort IMO. It's an opportunity for Tesla, that's my point. Specifically with wrt to the scenario where security key and key fob are both stolen, that's where a memorised pin comes into play. This is what the banking industry already does, nothing new or novel but the fact that Tesla has a full os running behind it's display makes these solutions low hanging fruit. And even better those who don't have faith in any of this or are simply not bothered can have extra security features disabled by Tesla.

Not talking about low tech security specifically as those should be common sense precautions that anyone sensible would know and do.

4. Rytis

Rytis Member

Time-based two-factor authentication would work fine even when offline (think Google Authenticator or security tokens provided by banks). Would be a bit of a hassle to input a code every time you wanted to drive, but would be a big security improvement, especially when a key fob is forgotten in a car.

• Like x 1
  5. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

Now we have to make sure that that every cell phone has activated a security lock code on it.

6. Garlan Garner

I know that the MS is supposed to look like a spaceship, but is starting the M3 going to have to be a 4 minute long missle launch sequence?

7. timk225

timk225 Member

Just like in The Transporter movies. A PIN code to be entered to make the car go.

8. Garlan Garner

Can you imagine having to go somewhere quickly and trying to remember your pin?

Tesla's aren't always sold to young people that can remember their pin.

9. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

#9 Canuck, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    We make it easy for thieves up here in Canada...

Thieves often greeted by unlocked doors and windows: Vancouver police

Not locking your doors is part of being Canadian.

Michael Moore reasserts Canadians don’t lock their doors, and then backtracks

I don't want my Model 3 locked down with any more security than my Model S.

Most vehicle thefts are drug related. If we're serious about preventing crime, than we just need to decriminalize drugs, provide them free to addicts, and offer them rehab at the same time. The addicts can get any drug they want now. That's not the problem. The problem is paying for them -- that's where crime comes in. But the last thing organized crime wants is decriminalization, and we stupidly play along, making them rich when the actual drugs are very cheap to produce -- and it's not like those of us here are going to go get them from the drop-in clinic, just like we won't get them from the drug dealer.

Well probably most of us here anyway.

• Like x 1
  10. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

In my current ICE car, I installed an extra switch to diseable the fuel pump.
    I use it when I park outside at night, like near a movie theater or near a train or subway station.
    I didn't make any modification to the car. I just used a fuse tap to access the fuel pump wire.

I suppose that something similar could be installed for an EV.

• Like x 1
  11. Jayc

Jayc Member

And that is why it is important to be able to disable extra security if that is preferred by owner.

That way we have the best of both worlds. Those who are perfectly happy with just the key fob - they can have their way. Those of us who value extra security can also have that. What is not to like about that?

12. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Yes, Teslas have a 12 volt cut loop wire which can be cut to stop the high voltage system and airbags. It's on the left side of the frunk.

If you really wanted, you could install a hidden switch to interrupt this loop without having to mess with the high voltage lines.

[​IMG]

• Informative x 1
  13. Garlan Garner

Most casual thief's won't go through anything as time consuming as technical passwords and stuff to steal a car.

14. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

Has there been a sudden increase in Tesla's being stolen? Why are we trying to create solutions to problems that don't really exist and making things more complicated in the process? I want to get in my car and drive, I don't want to have find the app on my phone every time, or enter a key code, I certainly don't want to have to share my code to let someone borrow my car.

• Like x 1
  15. Garlan Garner

You know John-Q-Public. He loves drama.

This isn't an issue.

Just like SC congestion is only a real issue in one state. But its getting clicks so it sells.

• Like x 2
  16. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

In the future thermal facial recognition solves this problem and doesn't need you to remember a password... unless you become horribly disfigured... in which case you have other problems :eek: in addition to using some kind of two factor authentication to re-register a set of thermal face images.
    [​IMG]

• Like x 1
  17. tga

tga Supporting Member

Wait, when did they start putting bullet proof (or, more accurately, "thrown-rock-proof") glass in the S?

18. Garlan Garner

Who said anything about bullet proof glass?

The statement is correct.

The MS is ONE of the most difficult cars to break into.

19. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Maybe we shouldn't say break into, but rather steal.

• Like x 1
  20. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

That's more accurate, since given a large enough hammer and 15 seconds, most people could break into most cars.

• Funny x 2