TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model 3 Sedan or Coupe

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by cfsaxNY, Mar 7, 2016.

1. cfsaxNY

cfsaxNY Member

If one of the BIG surprises is that Elon will offer a coupe, I am in!! Anyone else interested in a 2 door?

2. vortexz

vortexz Member

I would definetly buy a coupe,because I already own a large sedan ( bmw 5 series f10) but we already know it is going to be a SEDAN, because Elon already said that many many times

3. Trips

Trips Member

I hope EM is thinking bigger than just a personal transportation device. In five years you could "Uber" your TeslaTransportation driverless vehicle to take you to the grocery store. Because of this you need four doors to easily get in and out.

4. vciotti

vciotti New Member

I would love to see a coupe! So maybe the surprise is that you can get either one? Probably doubtful because that would just complicate manufacturing.

5. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

I am no longer hopeful that the Model ≡ will be shown in multiple configurations. I believe they will eventually come, of course... But I expect the car shown on March 31, 2016 will be a Sedan.

I'm sure the Model ≡ Sedan will be an awesome car that I would personally like a lot. However, I don't particularly like Sedans, in general. If I enjoyed sitting in a car like a preying mantis with my legs bent up to my shoulders behind the steering wheel, I'd probably like Sedans. Unfortunately, I don't find that seating positing particularly comfortable. And, with the advent of increased crash test requirements since the early 1990s, the B-Pillar in Sedans has steadily gotten larger, wider, and thicker than every before. For someone that needs to stretch his legs in the drivers' seat, the B-Pillar in a Sedan is immediately in the way when attempting to make safe lane changes -- SIGNAL, MIRROR, OVER-THE-SHOULDER, GO! I have to lean forward, lean backward, crane my neck, hope like heck I didn't miss someone else's signal in the blindspot, then change lanes. It is a real pain in the [BUM].

That can be avoided a bit by driving a Coupe. Typically a Coupe has longer doors, so the B-Pillar is moved further back, leaving a clear view of my surroundings when looking over my shoulder. A quick glance, without any acrobatics, and I can change lanes, unmolested. So, I'm hoping that there will be a Model ≡ Coupe -- with Falcon Wing Doors -- so that I can be safe on the road at all times. I understand that most people don't have these concerns and buy Sedans by default -- when they aren't getting Pickups, SUVs, and Crossovers instead. Thus, it is very likely that I will have to wait to get a Coupe from Tesla Motors. Though I hope for a Model ≡ P120D Coupe, I could settle for a Model S P135D Coupe instead. Whichever arrives first, I'll buy it.

6. Lonnie123

Lonnie123 Member

It will be one car, the Model 3, a sedan.

Almost positive a Rep from Tesla confirmed this after an article posited that multiple variants would be shown at the event. I think it was on Elektrek but I dont have the inclination to find it right now