Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 September 2019 Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered M3 LR AWD white on white with 19” wheels on 8/22 and haven’t had any communication from Tesla. 2 weeks and haven’t received a VIN yet. Anyone else experiencing this?

This would be considered normal. You won't hear back until the car is ready to be delivered. The cars are built in batches and if you pull a bad straw, you have to wait for your batch to be built and delivered. If you pulled the good straw, then you get your car out of inventory from a previous batch.

A batch probably needs enough cars to justify, hence an unusual config may take longer.

Having purchased two Teslas in our family, here's what I can say about the post-order process. Maybe it will help someone.

Typically during the 2nd thru 3rd quarter of the year, the U.S. cars start getting delivered (overseas orders built and shipped first due to the distance). Delivery movement then seems to go from East coast to West as it requires more time to get cars to the East coast with West coast a quicker delivery for them. So Colorado and Arizona you'll be no doubt getting yours soon and probably before those in California. Your delivery time all depends on where in the country they are delivering to, your order placement, and your configuration since the cars are built in batches by color and trim. As someone said you could get lucky if your order just falls in a good spot in their manufacturing/delivery schedule or unlucky if they just filled orders on the configuration you wanted or just delivered to your area before receiving your order. So you wait, but I think you've seen people here express how they feel the wait is worth it once they're in their car.

Even back when I ordered end of last June (my delivery near the factory in Calif wasn't til end of September), there wasn't much in the way of communication from them. You place your order, and when they are getting to your config they'll start requesting that you update the online form with the documents and info they need from you to start preparing your MVPA. Make sure the email and phone info you provided is correct. We had some emails from them and were called to schedule delivery date. As for your trade in vehicle, if you have one, they'll ask for photos of the car etc. towards the end of this period. You won't do this until close to delivery as the used cars go to a wholesaler and they will want to give Tesla a quote as close to the time as your car will be dropped off for your new car delivery. You can either accept it or make other plans. Tesla also needs an accepted trade-in figure for your MVPA so part of the reason this is done close to delivery. Generally sometime in the week before delivery you will get a VIN. Don't forget there will also be title, registration and sales tax charges added to your MVPA's total vehicle price.

Everyone is anxiously awaiting their car, and it can get stressful being such a large purchase for most people; and people get freaked out by the lack of communication but for the most part things are moving at Tesla's end like they need to. For the purchaser it is different than going into a dealership, picking a car out on the lot and negotiating the price and having the paperwork prepared in a few hours and driving home. With Tesla you might fret about the process but when you get in your car to drive home, you'll be driving home in a car unlike anything else you've driven if you aren't already a Tesla owner and sporting a grin :D.

Having purchased two Teslas in our family, here's what I can say about the post-order process.
This is a good post. The purchase-and-wait-and-eventually-receive experience would be greatly improved if the folks at the Tesla showrooms and delivery centers read and memorized it for reference. And if the "two weeks" estimate on the order page had any sort of connection to reality based on the selected delivery location. Thank you for the insights!

Having purchased two Teslas in our family, here's what I can say about the post-order process. Maybe it will help someone.

Typically during the 2nd thru 3rd quarter of the year, the U.S. cars start getting delivered (overseas orders built and shipped first due to the distance). Delivery movement then seems to go from East coast to West as it requires more time to get cars to the East coast with West coast a quicker delivery for them. So Colorado and Arizona you'll be no doubt getting yours soon and probably before those in California. Your delivery time all depends on where in the country they are delivering to, your order placement, and your configuration since the cars are built in batches by color and trim. As someone said you could get lucky if your order just falls in a good spot in their manufacturing/delivery schedule or unlucky if they just filled orders on the configuration you wanted or just delivered to your area before receiving your order. So you wait, but I think you've seen people here express how they feel the wait is worth it once they're in their car.

Even back when I ordered end of last June (my delivery near the factory in Calif wasn't til end of September), there wasn't much in the way of communication from them. You place your order, and when they are getting to your config they'll start requesting that you update the online form with the documents and info they need from you to start preparing your MVPA. Make sure the email and phone info you provided is correct. We had some emails from them and were called to schedule delivery date. As for your trade in vehicle, if you have one, they'll ask for photos of the car etc. towards the end of this period. You won't do this until close to delivery as the used cars go to a wholesaler and they will want to give Tesla a quote as close to the time as your car will be dropped off for your new car delivery. You can either accept it or make other plans. Tesla also needs an accepted trade-in figure for your MVPA so part of the reason this is done close to delivery. Generally sometime in the week before delivery you will get a VIN. Don't forget there will also be title, registration and sales tax charges added to your MVPA's total vehicle price.

Everyone is anxiously awaiting their car, and it can get stressful being such a large purchase for most people; and people get freaked out by the lack of communication but for the most part things are moving at Tesla's end like they need to. For the purchaser it is different than going into a dealership, picking a car out on the lot and negotiating the price and having the paperwork prepared in a few hours and driving home. With Tesla you might fret about the process but when you get in your car to drive home, you'll be driving home in a car unlike anything else you've driven if you aren't already a Tesla owner and sporting a grin :D.