Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Servicing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is 18 months old. 15k miles. I plan to service the brakes at some point soon and will probably have to change the cabin filters at at some point.
Is there anything else to service? I will probably do them both myself or get a local garage to do the brakes. Not doing an 80 mile round trip to a service centre when there is nothing special about the brakes at all. would consider a ranger but never seen that option around here

Do you think there is any benefit at all to getting "main dealer" servicing?

I've always gone with main dealers on previous cars purely from a maintaining residual value point of view, but this is the first car I've had without a formal service interval. I'd probably rather go to somewhere like Cleevely Motors if it makes no difference or there is a reasonable cost differential.

Here's all the recommended servicing

1625484454912.png

I'm going to replace the air filters soon myself, before taking hayfever son on our Summer Holidays. Planning to ask my local garage to check the brake fluid and lubricate the callipers, check the pads and disks etc. It'll only have done 17K miles in the 2 years (yay, lockdown).

There is no checking or replacing battery coolant unless the car tells you to.

Here's all the recommended servicing

View attachment 681529
I'm going to replace the air filters soon myself, before taking hayfever son on our Summer Holidays. Planning to ask my local garage to check the brake fluid and lubricate the callipers, check the pads and disks etc. It'll only have done 17K miles in the 2 years (yay, lockdown).

There is no checking or replacing battery coolant unless the car tells you to.
Filters don't stop working when they get old they just restrict air flow and in Tesla's case at least I believe they can start to smell bad but replacing them will not actually improve the pollen filtration at all so if that is your only reason for doing it early I would not bother.

Tyre rotation keeps the tyre wear even so that all the tyres wear out at the same rate and need replacing at the same time. it also may keep the front rear balance more consistent than say with very old at one end and new at the other. On the other hand having all 4 tyres with 2mm tread in heavy rain rather than 2 isn't necessarily a good thing either. The main benefit seems to be to tyre fitters. Does anyone outside of the US do it?

Filters don't stop working when they get old they just restrict air flow and in Tesla's case at least I believe they can start to smell bad but replacing them will not actually improve the pollen filtration at all so if that is your only reason for doing it early I would not bother.

Tyre rotation keeps the tyre wear even so that all the tyres wear out at the same rate and need replacing at the same time. it also may keep the front rear balance more consistent than say with very old at one end and new at the other. On the other hand having all 4 tyres with 2mm tread in heavy rain rather than 2 isn't necessarily a good thing either. The main benefit seems to be to tyre fitters. Does anyone outside of the US do it?
It won't be early, actually it'll be spot on 2 years. While I agree with you to a degree, having reduced airflow when using recirculating air means you are cleaning the air less quickly, hence any pollen from when the doors were open remains longer. Replacing pollen filters does help hay fever sufferers.

Tat
Checking battery fluids I believe is a thing ?

Plus eventually it would be good to get suspension checked etc - from what I remember of most of my cars they start having problems in this area

Checking battery fluids I believe is a thing ?

Plus eventually it would be good to get suspension checked etc - from what I remember of most of my cars they start having problems in this area
That might be your excellaration boost causing you to hit the speed bumps too fast.🤣

I bought a demo from Tesla which was 1 year old at the time. I’ve now had it for a year. So my question is whether Tesla would have serviced the brakes before selling the car or did they simply wash it and put it up for sale? Does anyone have any experience of being in a similar situation? Thanks

I bought a demo from Tesla which was 1 year old at the time. I’ve now had it for a year. So my question is whether Tesla would have serviced the brakes before selling the car or did they simply wash it and put it up for sale? Does anyone have any experience of being in a similar situation? Thanks
If your Tesla service centres are like the ones here, they absolutely checked the brakes when selling it.
if your car is now two years old, (one year since last service) the brakes are due to be checked.
If you get any winter conditions, or salt on your roads, you should have the brakes cleaned once a year.
Tesla brakes last much longer than regular cars, only if you have them cleaned regularly. If you just drive it, and forget it, they will corrode and need replacing sooner than you would like.

Reactions: SR-Plus
Here’s details on the UK,part of the Tesla website Tesla service, so cabin filter and possible brake fluid for the 2 year service. Changing brake fluid every two or three years is pretty normal as brake fluid is hydroscopic, so performance decreases the more moisture that is absorbed (in extreme cases you can corrode brake lines from the inside, though that only really occurs on a old cars that are’t regularly serviced).

Here’s details on the UK,part of the Tesla website Tesla service, so cabin filter and possible brake fluid for the 2 year service. Changing brake fluid every two or three years is pretty normal as brake fluid is hydroscopic, so performance decreases the more moisture that is absorbed (in extreme cases you can corrode brake lines from the inside, though that only really occurs on a old cars that are’t regularly serviced).

(Hygroscopic rather than hydroscopic) ... the fluid should be tested and replaced if it is below spec. In practice it usually takes longer than 2 years to degrade and I wouldn't jump at a change unless a test showed it was an issue, or if it's a track car.

(Hygroscopic rather than hydroscopic) ... the fluid should be tested and replaced if it is below spec. In practice it usually takes longer than 2 years to degrade and I wouldn't jump at a change unless a test showed it was an issue, or if it's a track car.
Meant to type Hygroscopic (joys of autocorrect). Agree there may not be a need to change it, but Tesla do recommend getting it checked and changed if needed.

Reactions: Adopado
I booked a two-year service for August via the App. Tesla got back to me and tried to put me off, saying it wasn't necessary. I cancelled.

I also requested that they fit the front mud flaps that were given out some time ago, and supply and fit rear ones. They replied that they cannot supply the flaps. So I cancelled that as well.