Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 showing in MA - pay it forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey HiTech, REALLY love to be there with my Model S and knowing Tesla and EV enthusiasts you may be there a couple hours, I can make it by 1pm at latest, live in Shrewsbury, love to get together another time if this doesn't work out, Ed we will miss you buddy....

20180210_100937.jpg
20180210_101232.jpg
20180210_112027.jpg
20180210_101259.jpg
20180210_101000.jpg
20180210_100948.jpg
20180210_101221.jpg
20180210_101252.jpg
20180210_100917.jpg
20180210_100926.jpg

Red Model showing in Harvard, MA on 10th Feb.
Enjoyed the time and meeting everyone.

The turnout was excellent. Good folds, good questions, good time. :)
Glad to know the time helped.
Some people mentioned they went to Boston to see, but spent close tho am hour in line to get less than a min inside.
Also, for anyone wondering, we had couple guys close to 6'6". After seating inside, they felt very comfortable. Don't know how they did it, but plenty of space.
Lastly, some noticed that it was easier to get into and out off, than the S.

For those not able to make it today, I'd be willing to setup another showing (preferably with other M 3s around)... maybe several weeks out?

Review - 1k miles in a week

Right from the beginning, I'll say that this is a fun nimble TESLA!
There is no doubt that this baby has the Tesla blood in it.

Now the details... Between Sunday through last night (Tuesday), I put on about 1,000 miles on my new Red Model 3. Did a day trip down to CT, from MA, and back on Sunday (about 200 miles). Then I had a nice trip down to PA from MA on Monday, and back last night, through JFK (picking up my parents)... about 800 miles. Test many things... all of which were great.

Several points of note:
Temps were about 40-45 degrees for most of the drive, and stayed around 70-75 where traffic allowed... 18" aero wheels.

Energy: Energy usage averaged around 260 Wh/mile for the whole drive... My MS85 would have been around 340ish average (under similar conditions... I've done this drive many times before).

Luggage space: My parents came back on international trip... means they had 2 carry-ons and 3 check-ins, plus two back-packs... then I had my carry-on sized bag and back-pack. All fit perfectly, with 3 of us in the car. With all of this added weight, my energy efficiency went to approx. 270 wh/mile average from JFK to mid-CT (just over 100 miles).

Also, plenty of zip even with all of the extra weight. I couldn't feel any difference on the highway when tapping on the "throttle". :)

Auto-Pilot/TACC: My MS is from 2013 and therefore doesn't have the sensors, so this is a new experience for me. Got to say, it's really cool. I think there are absolutely areas of improvement required (which Tesla is working on), but absolutely see this will be an awesome long term solution for my longer commutes... heavy traffic commutes... well, just about anything, except those times I just want to enjoy a nice drive myself. :)
One of those areas of improvement I'd like rather sooner than later is picking up cars in side lanes (rather than only in front), because when a car cuts in front, the M3 doesn't recognize it until after it's in front... can lead to some "uncomfortable" situations. Especially when driving through NY (and all place close to NY border... like southern CT). Side topic... sorry. ;-)
I do have to add that it seems to get smoother and better over the 1 week I've had it already. Almost as if the sensors keep learning my habits or configuring to the road or something.

Heating: Compared to my MS85, the M3 seems to warm up quicker, and also seems to be a bit more insulated (fewer areas where cold air leaks in). Makes for a more comfortable drive in cooler weather.

Noise: I did notice there is a bit more road/air noise you can hear in the M3 compared to the MS, but still fairly quiet.

Seats: I'm actually enjoying the black seats, as I've noticed in another car (non-Tesla) that the lighter colored leather seats keep catching the color from clothes or other material. I'm hoping Tesla seat material will be better and doesn't do this, but thinking that the black will help the car/seats look newer for longer period of time. Though, I still wish white was available... the Red outside, with White inside would have been amazing!

There are a few things that I've noticed so far (nothing new) which will make the car truly amazing when it gets updated... which I know they will:
- Connectivity: I've found that my Samsung S8+ doesn't always connect with the M3, and open the door right when I walk up. I noticed this happens more when more phones (specifically my wife's, which also has the Tesla app added with it connected to this car... wondering if that has anything to do with it).

Though this is not writing in an beautifully crafted story, like many other reviews, I do hope this helps everyone.

Kind regards,
HiTech