TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Side Mirrors

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by tomc603, Sep 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. tomc603

tomc603 Member

After watching a couple videos about the side mirrors on a Model 3, they look like they're the exact same ones as the Model S. Can anybody confirm this? Whether or not they're the same part number, I don't know. But I'm mostly wondering are they effectively the same devices and do they come apart the same way?

I've already seen Rolf's video, but he doesn't disassemble the mirror itself, he just removes it from the vehicle. I'm looking for how to take the moving mirror off the fixed point that is attached to the door near the A pillar.

Thanks for any info!

2. compu85

compu85 Supporting Member

The mirrors overall are smaller than the S. I don't know if the mechanism inside is the same.

3. scottm

scottm Version 9 software sufferer

I wonder if I could take the smaller side mirrors of the 3 and put them on my S? Less is more efficient.

4. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

The shiny silver 'base' that connects the mirror to the door is the same. They're also both annoyingly bright and reflective when the sun is at a less than stellar (see what I did there?) angle relative to the driver's retinas.

• Like x 1
  5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

They are most definitely not. They are smaller. I’ve compared them in parking lots when I’ve seen an S and a 3 near each other. And I’ve compared my 3 mirrors to my X mirrors and they are different.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

No, they are different. I’ve looked at them side by side. The 3 ‘base’ is a duller finish, not chromed like the S/X.

7. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

OK I guess I was just speaking to the outputs, not the inputs. Same effect: blinding.

8. Mellenger

Mellenger Member

Does anyone have any information on how to take the mirror apart? I have a problem with them that I need to figure out.

• Funny x 1
  9. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Member

I wonder why the mirrors rotate another 10 or 20 degree toward the side windows?
    This would save may be about one inch on each side, something that could be usefull if you have a narrow garage.

10. TelsaDude

TelsaDude Member

Check out Tesla DIY's YouTube video, he shows how to remove the mirror to do the chrome delete.
    I'm not sure if I can post YouTube links here so here is his video title:

Chrome Delete for your Tesla Model 3 for $80 with 3M 1080 Satin Black Vinyl

• Informative x 1
  11. Watts 4 Me

Watts 4 Me Member

I saw a video on YouTube where all you have to do is pull the painted portion up. It will come off then.

12. SumaPerformance

Models 3, S, and X have different sizes. We know because we make them. Here is a video how to take the mirror off.