Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 size comparison?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed!

Screen%20Shot%202013-07-31%20at%202.38.43%20PM.png

For those that weren't around then, that hood treatment is definitely, shall we say, optional.... :)

Used to love the back seat with the overhead views, a forerunner of moonroofs and the X, of course!

They actually did make 2 Vista Cruisers with W30 packages and the W25 hood. Only 2. One is rumored to be in Japan, and one in the US probably. They are most likely still around.

That picture was taken before the US car was sold to a private collector.

Ok, this is a bit offtopic, but if you have a family with 1 or 2 small kids (like us), a minivan should definitely be an option. I know, for some strange and hard to understand reasons Americans seem to dislike minvans, but over here they are extremely popular with young families. And having had one for years ourselves I can attest that they are the best when it comes to "room economy" i.e. how good they make use of the available space while still offering an attractive yet compact exterior package/footprint.
Appreciate the suggestion, but I have absolutely no interest in ever owning a minivan or large SUV. I understand that some people value their utility for hauling kids, stuff, or multiple people, and that there's a huge hype machine geared toward evangelizing that message, but those types of vehicles just doesn't fit our lifestyle. Environmental impact aside, I suppose our rejection of large ICE cars also ties into our desire to live, work, and raise our family in an urban environment (Seattle, WA!) where parking and driving space can be limited, versus a suburban or rural environment. We just prefer to walk, bike, or drive short distances to most places we need to get to and have always been fine relying on smaller sedans for longer trips. Heck, I'm probably a lot closer to attaching a kid's seat or pull cart to my bike to transport my son around the city than I am to buying a minivan, lol.

Anyway, our Tesla fandom is based on our appreciation for sexy green people movers, and Elon's general vision for a better future. The ILX is definitely the smallest car we've owned, so I'm definitely hoping that the 3 offers a bit more space.

Last edited:
In the 80's, the station wagon had the family-car stigma (unexciting). Minivans exploded in popularity during that time (with the introduction of the Dodge Caravan), because they were "cooler" than station wagons, yet had the interior room of a station wagon.

Funny you should mention that, because next to minivans, station wagons are extremely popular over here too.
SUVs otoh, while also slowly gaining in the family market, are often seen as fashion accessories for the elderly, because they cater more for their needs, i.e. easy entry, good visibility due to the higher seating position, plus more robust against minor accidents ;)

Appreciate the suggestion, but I have absolutely no interest in ever owning a minivan or large SUV. I understand that some people value their utility for hauling kids, stuff, or multiple people, and that there's a huge hype machine geared toward evangelizing that message, but those types of vehicles just doesn't fit our lifestyle. Environmental impact aside, I suppose our rejection of large ICE cars also ties into our desire to live, work, and raise our family in an urban environment (Seattle, WA!) where parking and driving space can be limited, versus a suburban or rural environment.

Your described lifestyle is very similar to ours, except that we live more in the countryside, even though we are still very close to the Rhein-Main urban area. In Germany you are rarely ever very far from some major urban area after all ;)

What I found interesting is that you said parking and driving space in your area is limited, therefor you would prefer not to have a "large" ICE car. But, at least over here, that is one of the main reasons why people love minivans, because of their compact footprint in spite of their extremely roomy interior. Our VW Touran for example is shorter and narrower than a Model 3, judging by the purported dimensions so far.

Anyone have a good idea of how Model 3 compares size-wise to other small or mid-sized cars that it will competing with (replacing), like the Lexus IS, Audi A4/3, BMW 3 series, Acura ILX/TLX, Toyota Corolla, or Honda Civic?

I'm especially interested in hearing from someone who took a test ride or has seen the M3 in-person. We have an ILX right now, and I've always hated how small the car has felt to me (wife loved it when we were looking for a new small car a few years ago). I'm 6'1", and can only really sit in the ILX's driver's seat with it adjusted all the back and down without feeling super cramped.

Thanks!

You might want to look at my Signature for the detailed comparison table !

Reactions: X Fan and boaterva
Wikipedia shows the following for Model 3 measurements
Wheelbase 2,870 mm (113 in) est.[2]
Length 4,694 mm (184.8 in)[3]
Width 1,885 mm (74.2 in) est.[2]
Height 1,435 mm (56.5 in) est.[2]

If I compare that to my current car ('08 Lancer) 180″ L x 69″ W x 59″ H The model 3 comes in longer and wider, but also shorter. My car isn't crazy tall. 56.5 is shorter than many cars, Honda Accord, Chevy Bolt, Toyota Prius, etc etc. Not sure what that says about the headroom (maybe you won't care :) )

Reactions: Red Sage and X-Auto
Wikipedia shows the following for Model 3 measurements
Wheelbase 2,870 mm (113 in) est.[2]
Length 4,694 mm (184.8 in)[3]
Width 1,885 mm (74.2 in) est.[2]
Height 1,435 mm (56.5 in) est.[2]

If I compare that to my current car ('08 Lancer) 180″ L x 69″ W x 59″ H The model 3 comes in longer and wider, but also shorter. My car isn't crazy tall. 56.5 is shorter than many cars, Honda Accord, Chevy Bolt, Toyota Prius, etc etc. Not sure what that says about the headroom (maybe you won't care :) )

It's a more sporty car than any of the other ones you mention, with a more reclined seating position. 56.5" is the same height as the Model S, BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Mercedes C class, etc etc

Reactions: X-Auto