Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: sizing information?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
After my little excitement a couple of months ago which caused me to cancel my Model S order, I am now back in the market! However, I am warming - just a little - to the M3: however I am concerned about the boot space and can't find any specs on this.
Using a boot, as I do, for carrying all sorts of largish items, I need to know the dimensions of the "opening": can I get a sheet of MDF in? a chest of drawers?
If any kind soul can give me his measurements or a link to a spec sheet I'd be grateful!

Measuring my car, the widest point of the opening to the boot is 1050mm. However, the narrowest point of the boot is between the wheel wells, and that is 960mm (and there's no way to go over it). The height of the boot opening is 450mm. You're not going to get a sheet of MDF in there. I doubt you're going to get a chest of drawers in.

After my little excitement a couple of months ago which caused me to cancel my Model S order, I am now back in the market! However, I am warming - just a little - to the M3: however I am concerned about the boot space and can't find any specs on this.
Using a boot, as I do, for carrying all sorts of largish items, I need to know the dimensions of the "opening": can I get a sheet of MDF in? a chest of drawers?
If any kind soul can give me his measurements or a link to a spec sheet I'd be grateful!
Don't know what the volumes are but the S can fit a lot more than you think (full size dining buffet + more) v the 3 which looks small and awkward for bulky items.

Speaking from experience - getting a chest of drawers or other bulky pieces including bits of mdf into the boot is a piece of cake with the Model S. The boot and opening are just huge. Now I have a Model 3, I will need to use the wife’s Tiguan (reluctantly as I struggle with ICE cars now) for such things.

The Model S's boot is massive as its a pretty big car, on the other hand the Model 3 is quite a bit smaller.
Your not going to be carrying bodies, criminal evidence, chests of draws in it, again the Model Y is your best bet, but if you really like that sedan style then get the Model S.

Measuring my car, the widest point of the opening to the boot is 1050mm.
However, the narrowest point of the boot is between the wheel wells, and that is 960mm (and there's no way to go over it).
The height of the boot opening is 450mm. You're not going to get a sheet of MDF in there.
I doubt you're going to get a chest of drawers in.
This is correct, the openning between the wheels and under the rear speaker shelf is about:

18" (450mm) height
38" (960mm) width

I would recommend geting the Tesla Model 3 roof rack if you have largers items,
like 4 x 8 MDF (1,22 m x 2,44 m) but lesser than a total of 150 lbs (70 kg)
Or installing a Tow Hitch to carry bicycles or a box carrier.

Getting a Model S or a Model X would be certainly more convenient, but pricey.
Or wait for another year for getting a Model Y.

Otherwise, if you don't carry that often larger items, you could just loan a pickup truck or a van when needed.

You could also convert your Model 3 into a Ute...

IMG_7645_copy.0.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: possum22
Thanks everyone!

It does look as if my original MS order will have to be reinstated. I do tend to plonk some pretty odd things into my cars - those of us who DIY will know the frustration of finding the space between the wheel wells is 1/2 in less that the item to be shifted but bending said item can often make a difference. But the M3 bending would obviously make for a big clean up of many shards.
At my age waiting for another year for the Y isn't a viable alternative - I don't buy green bananas any more.....

Thanks everyone!

It does look as if my original MS order will have to be reinstated.
I do tend to plonk some pretty odd things into my cars
- those of us who DIY will know the frustration of finding the space between the wheel wells is 1/2 in less
that the item to be shifted but bending said item can often make a difference.
But the M3 bending would obviously make for a big clean up of many shards.
At my age waiting for another year for the Y isn't a viable alternative
- I don't buy green bananas any more.....

Why not geting a Model X instead? The trunk seems even more roomy, especially with the 5 seats version.

It costs about $5k (US) more between the Model S ($80k US) and the Model X 5 seats ($85k US)

Last time when I went to an electrical store to get all the parts to install my Power Wall in my garage,

I was surprised to see the number of Model X used by local electrician contractors instead of typical pickup trucks or vans.

I didn't asked to the Model X owners, but I imagine that they can fit those 10 feet conduits
from the dashboard, by folding the passenger seat, all the way to the trunk.

Last edited:
Not too keen on the X - those doors at the back look a bit too complex. Actually, that same thing applies to many of Tesla's gizmos such as extending door handles - I would be surprised if haven't given problems over time. And as for the attention given to games on the screen.................