TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model 3 skateboard chassis to be available separately?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Two9A, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Two9A

Two9A Member

At least one site seems to believe that the skateboard will be available for general purchase, to allow people to build their own bodies over the top and/or transplant bodies from other cars.

Now, I can't buy a 3 because I live in a... troubled area of England; I could, however, buy an old rust-bucket Toyota and fit a Tesla skateboard underneath without having to worry about the safety of the car when parked overnight. Can anyone confirm that this is a thing Tesla will be offering?

If it is, I'd buy one tomorrow (or at least, as soon as it's available).

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Almost certainly not true.

• Like x 1
  3. Metalbird

Metalbird Member

Motorchase got their info from CarAdvice and that article was their April Fools joke.

4. Two9A

Two9A Member

So I suppose I'll have to buy a 3 when they enter CPO, and tear the body off... I wonder how possible that is to do, while retaining the seats and other interior features.

5. tga

tga Active Member

Or hit it with a hammer a bunch of times, and sand off some paint and let it rust. Make your own rustbucket Toyota.

Or move... ;)

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

I for one would welcome a return to an age of bespoke coachworks. A skateboard chassis could really enable this. If they are not offered, they will be obtained by chopping off the factory body or adding to it (case in point: Will.i.am's clever car).