Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Skid Plates - Upgrade from Fiberboard to Aluminum 👍

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
Dec 11, 2017
New Jersey
Upgraded my skid plates from the cheap and flimsy OEM fiber board type to these sleek and well designed aluminum ones. 😍

After 3+ years I found a chunk missing out of my rear skid plate and rather than spend the $250 Tesla wants for a single OEM replacement which would easily be damaged again (especially for those of us lowered cars).

I got this front and rear set for $350 shipped on eBay. Same ones Electrified Garage and RPM Tesla is selling for $500+. 🙄 You can get them for even less shipped directly from China, but I opted for a stateside seller and they arrived in perfect condition in individual boxes.

Perfect fit reusing the OEM hardware,

Attachments

• 5ABCEECA-79A1-4496-A0E3-37C1B46EC2DE.jpeg
    5ABCEECA-79A1-4496-A0E3-37C1B46EC2DE.jpeg
    592.6 KB · Views: 1,532
  • 42B9363B-C76A-4706-A7AA-FBB081835300.jpeg
    42B9363B-C76A-4706-A7AA-FBB081835300.jpeg
    677 KB · Views: 904
  • 54DE0618-87D8-4DB8-8837-85238240D057.jpeg
    54DE0618-87D8-4DB8-8837-85238240D057.jpeg
    346.9 KB · Views: 1,015
  • 64A6E660-2BBB-474A-A397-2E3159BFAE92.jpeg
    64A6E660-2BBB-474A-A397-2E3159BFAE92.jpeg
    371.1 KB · Views: 1,032
  • 08E3CFFF-7B11-4731-9DB9-146385775F38.png
    08E3CFFF-7B11-4731-9DB9-146385775F38.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,100
I am still waiting for RPM Tesla to get them in stock. :( I live close to RPM and they will install them for free.:)
Do they have the spray foem on them?
Cancel and order on eBay IMO...paying almost double for free install? 🤔 nothing more than a few fasteners on each piece reused from the OEM panels.

The RPM parts are the same as everyone else, they make nothing, just rebranded and marked up.

And yes, they have foam on the back side. It's adhesive backed, not sprayed on.

Upgraded my skid plates from the cheap and flimsy OEM fiber board type to these sleek and well designed aluminum ones. 😍

After 3+ years I found a chunk missing out of my rear skid plate and rather than spend the $250 Tesla wants for a single OEM replacement which would easily be damaged again (especially for those of us lowered cars).

I got this front and rear set for $350 shipped on eBay. Same ones Electrified Garage and RPM Tesla is selling for $500+. 🙄 You can get them for even less shipped directly from China, but I opted for a stateside seller and they arrived in perfect condition in individual boxes.

Perfect fit reusing the OEM hardware,
What year is your Model 3? Mine is 17 and I ask the seller on eBay and they say only fit 19+. But not sure if that’s really true. 😓

I got mine from rpm! It’s nice that they can do it for free. Audi charge me 370 to exchange and they were notorious for markups! Probably will go again or buy anything German! Sadly no one in town wanted to touch the car! It’s sad that even Tesla certified body shops refused to change them out for me. Super disappointed. I have my new plastics one 2nd gen! If anyone is thinking about budget friendly upgrade! It’s just sitting in the garage for me and I’ll ship it out to you for free!

Anyone try these yet? I am wondering why they are gold lol.

After seeing how many people damaged their packs and seeing my aeroshield ripped... I am looking to upgrade.

US $59.99 60%OFF | Engine Protection Plate for Tesla Model 3/Y Magnesium Alloy Chassis Cover Engine Guards Chassis Modification Parts for Tesla

Last edited:
Do you guys notice any noise difference with them installed? How are they holding up so far? Still recommend?
I put mine on a week ago on my 2022 M3. The back has a squeek, now, which is probably my fault for not using a torque wrench on it, so I need to get back under it and do it right. IMO, having been under it, the upgrade is maginally better than the plastic OEM plates. You probably won't run over anything that the plastic won't stop that the aluminum will. I do travel some mountain gravel roads. If and when I hit a rock, I will post a report with pictures.

For more noise damping, applying a layer of dynamat or alternative would give a layer of isolation.

Anyone try these yet? I am wondering why they are gold lol.

After seeing how many people damaged their packs and seeing my aeroshield ripped... I am looking to upgrade.

US $59.99 60%OFF | Engine Protection Plate for Tesla Model 3/Y Magnesium Alloy Chassis Cover Engine Guards Chassis Modification Parts for Tesla
That is not magnesium at that price. And you would not want magnesium anyways as it burns stupid hot once it ignites. Many a Porsches lay in the Porsche heaven due mag fires. Think about it, is it a good idea to have a lithium level fire hazard just outside of the battery enclosure?

I ordered this set from eBay. It looks like the same set selling on other sites. I will measure the thickness and post a review when it arrives.

My 3 has the soft fiber OEM shields right now. I had to cut a piece off that was hanging. I am not sure how I ripped it. Maybe from hitting chunks of snow on the highway over the winter.