Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Skid Plates - Upgrade from Fiberboard to Aluminum đź‘Ť

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered this set from eBay. It looks like the same set selling on other sites. I will measure the thickness and post a review when it arrives.

My 3 has the soft fiber OEM shields right now. I had to cut a piece off that was hanging. I am not sure how I ripped it. Maybe from hitting chunks of snow on the highway over the winter.

Apparently they switched from a fiber shield to a HDPE shield. My car, delivered in February, had a plastic shield, at least. I just replaced them with ones comparable to what you ordered. I had a squeek the first day of driving, which was frustrating because the car from the factory had no squeaks or creeks. Anyhow, I haven't had a chance to get back under it to do anything but I had it out in a rough road and the squeaks are gone.

I ordered this set from eBay. It looks like the same set selling on other sites. I will measure the thickness and post a review when it arrives.

My 3 has the soft fiber OEM shields right now. I had to cut a piece off that was hanging. I am not sure how I ripped it. Maybe from hitting chunks of snow on the highway over the winter.

Do you have an ETA for its arrival. I am considering ordering the same set.

I was scared that on my SR+ I would have something go through the fiberboard and hit the cooling line. I decided to go with the Mountain Pass Smash me plate lol. Same idea.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I was scared that on my SR+ I would have something go through the fiberboard and hit the cooling line. I decided to go with the Mountain Pass Smash me plate lol. Same idea.

HPS has front and rear. That’s what I have on mine

I received them today. They look to be the same ones sold by a few other places for significantly more.

The claimed sound dampening foam even comes on them as the others. The foam is useless if you ask me. The metal needs butyl sheets like dynamat.

They are measuring 2.8 - 2.9mm thick with my calipers. I haven't weighed them but I am guessing 10lbs.

Let us know how the install goes

My back corners were bent in shipping. I bent them back straight by hand. Not a bid deal.

I decided to leave the foam it comes with on for now to see if sound reflection is really a difference to begin with. I went over the foam with a roller to make sure it is stuck down really good. There were some areas where they just didn't bother pushing it down. Some air bubbles you will need to poke.

The holes all lined up for installation. There are two 15mm nuts you need to get on. You have to use some force to flex the plate to make those two. I installed them first. It seems like they could have made the stamping a little deeper for those two. Everything else just screws right in. Don't put to much torque on the 10mm screws. Tesla calls for 5Nm. That's pretty much just snug them down. I tightened them all and used some loctite to make sure they don't back out.

There is a little door you can open. I am not sure what it's for. Also there is a notch in the back middle. I think it's a drain for the AC condensation.

I didn't install the back yet.

PXL_20220522_192722717.jpg

Update: after driving with both the front and rear skid on for a month.

Totally happy with them. They do seem to cut down slightly on road noise from my tires. On the flip side you hear slightly more electric motor noise. That noise you hear when you accelerate hard. It's not loud at all and I find it adds something to the experience. Just cruising around the skid plates are not noticable.

Reactions: MarcWinNJ
I got mine from rpm! It’s nice that they can do it for free. Audi charge me 370 to exchange and they were notorious for markups! Probably will go again or buy anything German! Sadly no one in town wanted to touch the car! It’s sad that even Tesla certified body shops refused to change them out for me. Super disappointed. I have my new plastics one 2nd gen! If anyone is thinking about budget friendly upgrade! It’s just sitting in the garage for me and I’ll ship it out to you for free!
RPM just told me that they now charge $50 a plate to install.

• Disagree
Reactions: Kimmi
My back corners were bent in shipping. I bent them back straight by hand. Not a bid deal.

I decided to leave the foam it comes with on for now to see if sound reflection is really a difference to begin with. I went over the foam with a roller to make sure it is stuck down really good. There were some areas where they just didn't bother pushing it down. Some air bubbles you will need to poke.

The holes all lined up for installation. There are two 15mm nuts you need to get on. You have to use some force to flex the plate to make those two. I installed them first. It seems like they could have made the stamping a little deeper for those two. Everything else just screws right in. Don't put to much torque on the 10mm screws. Tesla calls for 5Nm. That's pretty much just snug them down. I tightened them all and used some loctite to make sure they don't back out.

There is a little door you can open. I am not sure what it's for. Also there is a notch in the back middle. I think it's a drain for the AC condensation.

I didn't install the back yet.
What fasteners do you use to put the new plates on?
The old ones or does the ebay plates include new hardware?

If you are missing some, skip the OE ones and pickup some slightly longer ones with wider/better engaging washers and bolt heads.

All you need is just a few minutes of time at a home improvement or hardware store with a stock bolt in hand as a point of comparison.