Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 sleeping rather than Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 15 amp power outlet which is on a controlled load circuit (also known as J tariff), the circuit is used mainly for Hot Water systems, but in certain states you can also use for EV charging (and yes in SA it can be 15 amp powerpoint). It comes on somewhere between 11pm and 12:30, and runs for at least 7 hours.
My i-MiEV charged fine using this circuit. I would just get home and plug it in, and it would charge overnight. As I do not have my Tesla HWPC charger installed, I have been using the 230v 15 Amp Tesla charger to charge my Model 3.
But it seems if I plug in when I get home, the Model 3 goes to sleep before the power comes on. I have tried both Sentry on at home to keep it awake, and setting the Model 3 to start charging at 1am. But it seems it does not wake at 1am if there was no power at plug in.
Whether it will start charging depends on the time of when I plug in, and when I last look at the car in the app. Has anyone worked out how long the car stays awake after plug in or app usage? Will I have the same problem with the HWPC?

The vehicle expects power to be there all the time. It's my guess that the only way that's going to work is if you plug it in while it's live. If you plug the vehicle into a completely unpowered connection, it probably won't work at any time as it uses power to communicate and decide what to do with the power source immediately, and probably assumes the connection is faulty and refuses to use it after that. The HPWCs have power all the time so it shouldn't be a problem unless you connect them on a controlled load circuit as well.

It will charge if I go into the app, and wake the car up when the power is active. I have woken up in the middle of the night, gone into the app, and presto, it starts charging. However, I do not really want to set my alarm for 1am each night.....

Is your J rate only during that period for any power use at home or is it only from that one circuit? If former, then just use another receptacle and continue to use Tesla to schedule when it starts charging.
The whole circuit is controlled by the meter. It powers up that circuit late in the evening, and turns it off in the morning. There is some randomness in the start time, so not everyone in the area has their Hot Waters Systems come on at the same time. But the dollar cost is about half the normal rate. So definitely no power when plugged in, unless I get home very late.

I'm having the same trouble. The model 3 won't wake from sleep to charge.

Tesla are aware of the problem and we are patiently waiting for a firmware update. It was promised for end of 2019/quarter 1 this year (i.e. real soon now)

There is a thread over at myenergi

Last edited:

Tesla are aware of the problem and we are patiently waiting for a firmware update. It was promised for end of 2019/quarter 1 this year (i.e. real soon now)

I think people affected should all contact Tesla of the issue so they will offer some kind of solution... hopefully it's just a simple OTA update away - if change can be made on the car side. There are people with units like Juicebox, where you schedule charging on the wall charger, having the same issue/concerns. Makes me think the fix is a simple OTA update away.

... but check this thread first... seems to work fine on S and X... it's a Model 3 specific problem. :(
What controls charging? Juicebox or Tesla.

Last edited:

Interesting in that thread, Tesla say the vehicles schedule charging will work, where as I have found it doesn't if there is no power when plugged in.

I have had the same experience with the Tesla wall charger.
I have a time switch and contactor controlling the charger and the first time I tried it, late at night, it didn't work.
I haven't spent a great deal of time on this as I am charging during the day with my PV cells.
However I did find that the one time I tried late night charging via the time switch, with the car unlocked, it seemed to work.
Need to go back and do some more on this.This what I would do if going on a long trip the next day.

I have had the same experience with the Tesla wall charger.
I have a time switch and contactor controlling the charger and the first time I tried it, late at night, it didn't work.
I haven't spent a great deal of time on this as I am charging during the day with my PV cells.
However I did find that the one time I tried late night charging via the time switch, with the car unlocked, it seemed to work.
Need to go back and do some more on this.This what I would do if going on a long trip the next day.

Solar on Rooftop has always been a half solution missing the home battery. Those with Solar and can charge during the day should do so... and set your charging to closely match your solar production... this is the Greenest solution. Use of any grid power results in less than actually charging your car with 100% renewable.

Today's CAISO chart.
California ISO - Supply
upload_2020-1-1_19-44-28.png

The Model S does not do this, either with the HPWC or the UMC. You plug the type2 into the car when the power at the other end is off, and the charging screen comes up saying "Ready to Charge - check charger power". No scheduled charging, just plug in and go to bed. When the power is turned on (in my case to the HPWC when the hot-water tariff switches on) the car starts charging straight away.

Given that this will be an extremely common use-case, either your car charger has a hardware problem, or Tesla has made a massive blunder with the Model 3's charger. I can't imagine why this behaviour would intentionally change, as the chargers are probably the same in both cars.

The Model S does not do this, either with the HPWC or the UMC. You plug the type2 into the car when the power at the other end is off, and the charging screen comes up saying "Ready to Charge - check charger power". No scheduled charging, just plug in and go to bed. When the power is turned on (in my case to the HPWC when the hot-water tariff switches on) the car starts charging straight away.

Given that this will be an extremely common use-case, either your car charger has a hardware problem, or Tesla has made a massive blunder with the Model 3's charger. I can't imagine why this behaviour would intentionally change, as the chargers are probably the same in both cars.

See link in post #10. It's the car. This is a Model 3 specific problem.

I wouldn't call it a massive blunder.

I suspect Tesla Engineers have been trying to reduce the phantom power drain down to an absolute minimum by switching off various subsystems/ECUs when the car goes to sleep. This is a trade off between power consumption, and what can wake the car back up.

All they have done is (inadvertently) put to sleep the charger (or the ECU connected to the Control/Proximity Pilot signals of the Charging Port).

Tesla is working to resolve the issue.

In the mean time, as HarryD has elaborated, all you have to do is keep the car awake. One way of doing this is sentry mode.

But I do agree with you that it should be a common use-case. Full EV adoption will require demand side management and off peak charging. (I've been trying to command my TWC to dynamically switch on and off based on the power price and demand on the grid)

Last edited:
I reported this behaviour in a previous thread, it seems it's just a bug in the software really. Unfortunate, but it happens. I keep meaning to try leaving a door open to see if it keeps the car awake (I'm parked in a secure garage) ready to charge on schedule when the tariff comes on. I think that will use less juice than leaving sentry mode on.

The vehicle expects power to be there all the time. It's my guess that the only way that's going to work is if you plug it in while it's live. If you plug the vehicle into a completely unpowered connection, it probably won't work at any time as it uses power to communicate and decide what to do with the power source immediately, and probably assumes the connection is faulty and refuses to use it after that. The HPWCs have power all the time so it shouldn't be a problem unless you connect them on a controlled load circuit as well.

I did an experiment last night to test this. I plugged in while the controlled load was active and it started charging. I got the expected "charging interrupted" notification on my phone when the controlled load went off. I checked back later when it was back on, and the car was not charging - I had to I wake it up first.

In the past I've set scheduled charging and it's worked, but I don't know if I plugged in while the controlled load was on or not. I'll re-test that with it off at some point.