Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "smarter" than S/X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
S75D refresh owner here. Took a test drive at Austin just for kicks the other day (LR, RWD). The advisor emphatically told me M3 "took a picture" of the speed limit sign, not pulled from database as we changed roads. Would be exciting if part of it were true. Also, anybody think the fact that doors are electronically opened will lead to auto-open (or at least auto-unlatch) like the X?

S75D refresh owner here. Took a test drive at Austin just for kicks the other day (LR, RWD). The advisor emphatically told me M3 "took a picture" of the speed limit sign, not pulled from database as we changed roads. Would be exciting if part of it were true. Also, anybody think the fact that doors are electronically opened will lead to auto-open (or at least auto-unlatch) like the X?
Not yet, Autopilot is the same on S3X. he's BSing

My AP1 model S reads the speed limit signs for sure. Frequently when I'm entering a school zone it says 25 MPH. I've seen it read construction speed limit signs as well. I think it has a database too, because it also usually knows the speed shortly after entering a road.

Currently it does not read signs, although it can. It currently uses a database of information for speeds, and regrettably it seems to be pretty bad.

Currently it does not read signs, although it can. It currently uses a database of information for speeds, and regrettably it seems to be pretty bad.

Are we certain that AP2 is not reading signs? I have not seen any evidence that my Model 3 is showing an incorrect speed limit. The screen updates itself immediately passing every speed limit sign. And I've been on many dinky roads here in rural NH.

Are we certain that AP2 is not reading signs? I have not seen any evidence that my Model 3 is showing an incorrect speed limit. The screen updates itself immediately passing every speed limit sign. And I've been on many dinky roads here in rural NH.

AP2.x uses database ..AP1 reads signs ...