TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 + Snow Exposure = Frustration

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Amendale, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Amendale

Amendale Member

To be fair I've owned 4 cars before the Model 3, all in this climate, none of which had this issue. They did not have frameless windows, but I never recall not being able to use the door handle, or the gas cap being frozen.

• Like x 1
  2. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Active Member

Climate is different from weather. But do you mind sharing the make/model of cars that don't freeze shut when it snows, melts and then freezes hard?

3. Amendale

Amendale Member

Hondas and Hyundais. Sure they ice over during extreme conditions, but can be easily remedied with an ice scraper. The problem with Model 3 is that while beautiful, its not easy to remove the ice from the handle or charge port. Honestly I would rather have a regular handle. The charge port should have some kind of rubber cover on it, which I'm sure will be/is available from some 3rd party supplier. Not too sure what can be done about the frameless windows, might be just something we have to live with given the design.

4. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Active Member

A Google search for "prevent door seals from icing up" shows this is a real problem. But I didn't see any Tesla's in the links, just ICE cars. Any car will ice up in freezing rain, etc. and an ice scraper is not the solution in those links. Most of them deal with seals freezing. This is not even close to being unique to Tesla.

I put Gummi Pfledge on my door seals last October and haven't had any problems even after nasty freeze/thaw events.
    ★ NEW Gummi Pflege Car Auto Door Seal Rubber Care Treatment Germany BMW Audi VW | eBay
    The most I've had to do is hit the door handle with the heel of my closed fist a couple of times. I've had to do that on every car I've ever owned. Disclaimer: I'm a frequent snow skier so I see more than my share of winter nasties.

I think people are making a mountain out of a molehill. It's called winter, it happens with every car, deal with it.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 3
  5. happyzod

happyzod Member

Hey, sorry for the bad experience. I'll tell you what I do. I find that I can always open the rear trunk in cold weather. I will open the rear trunk and get a bottle of Isopropyl alcohol (with a spray atomizer on top) and a piece of microfiber cloth. Spraying the door handle will unfreeze it. Make sure you spray the driver's side window as well. Wipe IPA off with microfiber towel.

• Informative x 1
  6. Amendale

Amendale Member

Hmm while I have heard this as a solution, I have also heard that the alcohol is bad for the paint and rubber seals. People recommend a windshield de-icer instead.

7. Amendale

Amendale Member

Im just speaking of personal experience. I agree every car freezes, but seems to be Model 3 is more prone to it than others. Although I like the car I'm not going to pretend thats its perfect. Also I'm not saying this is a deal breaker, just looking for a solution and what other people have done.

• Like x 3
  8. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Active Member

I also put CRC silicone spray on the charge port door arm as a preventive measure.

9. Amendale

Amendale Member

Yeah I was thinking of doing that and also on the back of the handles, because thats where the ice seems to form.

10. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

There ix nothing to freeze in there. There is nothing for water to stick to and freeze. I've had the door opened many many times.

Its no different than an ICE car.

Tesla's don't have special windows.

• Disagree x 5
    • Like x 2
  11. tomc603

tomc603 Member

Just scrape your windows with a window scraper. Don't wait for the defroster to melt the ice. As for the thaw/freeze/precipitation cycle, that's just kind of life with any car in a place that gets those cycles. Remember having to buy lock cylinder de-icer so you could get your key in and turn the damn thing?

Anyway, silicone lube on the seals will keep the ice from sticking too bad, scraping the ice off your windows, and then between the seals is pretty standard fare for everyone in the winter.

A 120v 15A circuit doesn't supply nearly enough power to keep the climate system running without draining the battery. Inside my garage on a -6C day, the car pulls 4kW from my HPWC after the cabin is warmed up. When it's first warming, it easily draws all 11kW available to it.

This is to address charger cables frozen into the port. It doesn't do anything for a frozen door. The best way I've seen to handle a frozen shut charge door is to clear all the ice off it by gently banging it to break it off, to warm it up so the ice melts, or to pry the door gently.

• Informative x 1
  12. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

I don't agree that the model 3 is more prone than others concerning freezing.

• Disagree x 5
    • Like x 2
  13. Mironski

Mironski Member

ECO-DOME – Alex Industries

Protection for the charge port. Developed in Québec... where we can go from -10 too +15 and back to -25 in the same 24hrs... Snow-rain-freezin rain-rain-snow-rain...

• Like x 1
  14. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

39C (102F) here today. I wouldn't mind a little ice...

• Like x 2
  15. antoinearnau

antoinearnau Member

Charge port frozen :
    If you can, an hair dryer will solve the problem in a couple minute.
    Did it last night.

• Informative x 1
  16. phigment

phigment Member

Had my Toyota freeze shut. But the handle was still lose. Unfortunately when I pulled it the ice on the seal suck and tore all the way around the door.

Be careful trying to open the door no matter what make of car you have.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Closed Cell foam insulation can fix that issue...

18. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

My wife complained for months that her defroster was weak, I came checked the car out and sure enough she wasn't double tapping the Model S defroster heater to turn from blue (cold) to red (hot)....

• Helpful x 2
  19. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Active Member

I've never torn a seal on any of my long list of cars but that is only because I know if the door is frozen shut to the seal I need to pound around the perimeter with the heel of a closed fist while gently applying a pulling force to the handle. This has always worked for me in the past without damage even when the door was really frozen HARD to the seal. But it can take a while to get it to release.

Since I'm using Gummi Pfludge on the Tesla seals it looks like that might make it much less likely that the seal will freeze to the glass. The water-based coating dries to a very slippery feel. It seems to fill any microscopic pores in the seal material. So far, so good.

• Like x 1
  20. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Active Member

Good find. Also, if you plan to use the cabin heater remotely to thaw out the cabin, If your heater is on "Manual" when turning off the car in the evening, it's a good idea (during freezing weather) to make sure the A/C is "off" and the fan is on a high enough setting to thaw out the cabin in the morning. Sometimes I use A/C to defog window glass in humid weather and forget to turn it off. This greatly reduces the speed of defrosting the entire cabin.

• Informative x 1