Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 software "bugs" vs Model X/S (AP 2.5 or later)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
So I'm swapping from a Model 3 to an X this week.

I'm curious which fairly well know bugs on the Model 3 are across all Tesla's.
Like to keep this to more current X/S hardware because older hardware had it's own set of issues.
So anything AP2.5 or newer and MCU2 or newer.

Some of the ones I'd like to know about are:

1) Phantom Braking on TACC (I assume all Tesla's have that, I know it varies with some Model 3 owners).
2) Volume bouncing up after a Phone Call ends and then comes down. I thought this might be different hardware with different bugs.
3) Auto High beam. Some users on Model 3 think it works fine (I don't). My reference is a 17 Jeep Summit is flawless. Model 3 was a joke in comparison. Friend got pulled over by a cop for flashing his headlights. I thought perhaps the S/X and a more conventional implementation that does not rely on Neural Nets. They do work in some conditions.
4) Auto Wipers. Very similar to Auto High beams. Flawless on Jeep. Some people Ok with it. I'm not. But one big plus on the X I noticed is it appears to have to levels of sensitivity for Auto Wipers. That could help a ton.
5) Lost (Delayed) back up camera. I lost it for 1/2 a day once. But often it has annoying delay to pop up.
6) Charge port work around for freezing. Car would wake after 24 hours of sleep and pulse the Charge Port solenoid lock to thaw it. Only does this below ~40F. My Model 3 had new charge port to fix freezing and not sure if they added a code to turn that work around off.
7) Frozen windows and a software work around to deal with it. When below ~40F car will keep windows slightly cracked until you drive.

Some bugs I never ran into but know many have.

A) Lost Audio. Usually reboot or shutdown recovers it.
B) Lost Bass. Sometimes reboot or shutdown recovers it. This seems finally resolved.
C) MCU Lockup or Reboot.

And what bugs should I be aware of that are exclusive to the X.

1. I never had phantom braking on my 2018 Model X until the last few updates. Now I do have it once in a while.
  2. Never had that specific problem, but generally volume with phone calls can be a bit wonky.
  3. Auto brights works 70% well, but it also takes too long to brighten back up after dimming, so yeah it sucks.
  4. Autowipers used to be mediocre, now they're good.
  5. There used to be like a 30 second delay a few months ago, due to a bad firmware update I guess. Now it's either instant or takes about 1-2 seconds to turn on.
  6. Charge port has never been frozen. It's a different design, opens sideways. I assume it's less effort for S/X port to open in snow.
  7. Never had this problem, but only been in snow/ice one time since ownership.

A) Had lost audio plenty of times. Reboot fixes it.
B) Never had lost bass. I think this may be a Model 3-only issue.
C) MCU lockup happened only once in over a year, and that was over 8 months ago. It's been fine since.

1. I never had phantom braking on my 2018 Model X until the last few updates. Now I do have it once in a while.
  2. Never had that specific problem, but generally volume with phone calls can be a bit wonky.
  3. Auto brights works 70% well, but it also takes too long to brighten back up after dimming, so yeah it sucks.
  4. Autowipers used to be mediocre, now they're good.
  5. There used to be like a 30 second delay a few months ago, due to a bad firmware update I guess. Now it's either instant or takes about 1-2 seconds to turn on.
  6. Charge port has never been frozen. It's a different design, opens sideways. I assume it's less effort for S/X port to open in snow.
  7. Never had this problem, but only been in snow/ice one time since ownership.
A) Had lost audio plenty of times. Reboot fixes it.
B) Never had lost bass. I think this may be a Model 3-only issue.
C) MCU lockup happened only once in over a year, and that was over 8 months ago. It's been fine since.

Yeah Phantom Braking didn't happen until the last few months for me on Model 3.
Same on the backup camera (varies from no delay to a couple seconds).

Thanks for sharing.

Same software base, so same list. I think number 2 is fixed? And I don't know about the freezing issues since I am in the Pacific Northwest. On the X, the nice part about the lousy auto-wipers is that you have a stalk rotating switch with multiple positions so you can configure it for manual wipers: slow, medium, fast (just like my 72 chevy pickup had). The auto-wipers and auto high beam are a mystery to me when people say they work great: never been the case for me. I keep turning them back on every couple software releases and they are the same horrible application of neural networks.

Sounds like you would be going into X with eyes wide open.

Reactions: boaterva
Same software base, so same list. I think number 2 is fixed? And I don't know about the freezing issues since I am in the Pacific Northwest. On the X, the nice part about the lousy auto-wipers is that you have a stalk rotating switch with multiple positions so you can configure it for manual wipers: slow, medium, fast (just like my 72 chevy pickup had). The auto-wipers and auto high beam are a mystery to me when people say they work great: never been the case for me. I keep turning them back on every couple software releases and they are the same horrible application of neural networks.

Sounds like you would be going into X with eyes wide open.

It’s not quite the same software because of some hardware differences. Like the Wiper Stalk has two levels of auto (by looking at it) so that might help some. Wish it was 3. And the radio hardware is different. And it sounds like one bug might be gone that I had on the 3.

AP/EAP/FSD bugs are probably all the same.