Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 software super-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NO cars got a 5% range increase. NONE of them.

AWD and RWD both have the same range as always.
Perhaps we're getting hung up on terminology? Some Model 3's definitely observed a 5% increase in their "software range estimate" (state of charge expressed in terms of distance). Did release 2019.5.15 increase the range?

My understanding is that this the +5% "software range estimate" is associated with Tesla reducing the battery's reserve capacity. If the 0% SOC number is linked to a certain battery voltage X, then if you change that 0% SOC critical battery voltage number to say 0.99*X, then there would be more actual amp-hours available between 100% and 0% SOC. So if these assumptions are correct, the +5% range would be a real-world thing, not just a scaling factor on SOC.

There is definitely evidence both for (post linked above) and against (me) this change. Some have suggested this may be regional or dependent on some other factor. So, literally... YMMV.

12.1 and 12.1.1 seems like a US thing. In fact, above 8.5, seems to be that. Interesting. Would it have to do with regulatory issues? In the EU, most anything to do with self driving is not allowed.

As I mentioned before, I'm on 8.5 and there's no NOA at all.

2019.12.1.1 pushed tonight. Can’t find a difference - same release notes, same nav data as 2019.12.1.

Must’ve been a serious bug to push this quickly - I only got 2019.12.1 yesterday.

Attachments

• 64BA00AA-0357-4DC5-95CA-27704A2A0137.jpeg
    64BA00AA-0357-4DC5-95CA-27704A2A0137.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: Enginerd
2019.12.1.1 4b1dd29 came down today, one day after 12.1 -- didnt use long enough to know, but in the very short time i used the browser, it froze when using gmail, and that has stopped. This could just be from the reboot, don't know.

also while i guess its obvious to most/all here now --on ABRP it showed my browser as "Chrome" on Linux. Heartwarming, as the browser really works well now.

Perhaps we're getting hung up on terminology? Some Model 3's definitely observed a 5% increase in their "software range estimate" (state of charge expressed in terms of distance). Did release 2019.5.15 increase the range?

My understanding is that this the +5% "software range estimate" is associated with Tesla reducing the battery's reserve capacity. If the 0% SOC number is linked to a certain battery voltage X, then if you change that 0% SOC critical battery voltage number to say 0.99*X, then there would be more actual amp-hours available between 100% and 0% SOC. So if these assumptions are correct, the +5% range would be a real-world thing, not just a scaling factor on SOC.

There is definitely evidence both for (post linked above) and against (me) this change. Some have suggested this may be regional or dependent on some other factor. So, literally... YMMV.

the thing is no matter how you calculate it, there isn't a 5% range number. If you go by the Tesla press release wording there is also no mention of 5% range.

$35,000 Tesla Model 3 Available Now

We’re also excited to announce that we’re implementing a number of firmware upgrades for both new and existing customers. These upgrades will increase the range of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 to 325 miles, increase the top speed of Model 3 Performance to 162 mph, and add an average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles.

Note that is a change in range from 310 to 325 and a change in peak power of 5%.

310/325 = 95.38% and 325/310 = 104.83%

So when you round either of those to 5% you are confusing people that read the press release or articles quoting the press release. It'd be less confusing to call it "325 mile range for LR RWD" instead of "+5% range" if you want to seperate it.

If you think all are in the same release a better name would be "325 mile range for LR RWD, 162 mph top speed for Performance Model 3, +5% peak power for All Model 3".

If you don't think all are in the same release then you need one for each of those. But no row or column should be called +5% range.

Last edited: