Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a notification for software update yesterday and I set it to install at 2 AM, but I did not read which version was being installed because I was in a hurry to leave home.

This morning I received a notification on my cell phone that software was updated.

But when I check my software version, it is still 40.1

Did this happen to anyone?

Is there somewhere on the screen/menu that I can initiate the installation again?

Did a drive with drive-on-nav

Ok so I noticed most people haven't seem to have gotten the new update and, knowing how excruciating the wait can be, I made a video demonstration of the feature to maybe make the wait more (or less) bearable.

Now I'm clearly a novice in YouTube filmmaking so don't expect too much :(

The video quality should improve once the video is fully processed by YouTube.

Maybe the "free" ones that current owners can order are $15 to cover shipping and handling?

Perhaps. If it’s only $15 I’ll definitely be getting one just to have it. However I will be quite surprised if this the case.

What I won’t be surprised by is someone here quoting one of my posts about this if I’m wrong simply to say “I told you so”. :p

• Funny
Reactions: dhanson865
Probably people that got it earlier and scheduled it to install overnight.

I'm sure that's a good portion of it too. I've been watching TeslaFi the last two hours and many in Europe are upgrading too...

goMs9ch.png

jYueQXE.png

Definitely looks like somehow tons of S and X downloads and virtually no 3’s overnight. Now to see what the next step is. Wonder if that was to equalize the millions of miles Elon talked about getting for 42.2’s lane changing?

Still weird the 3 side sorta stopped.

(Nothing on either of my cars....)

I received 42.2 over the weekend (upgraded from 39.7) and this morning was my first chance to test it during my daily commute. My initial impressions...

Lane changes are much more decisive. I don't know if this change came in 39.7 or 42.2 but I had previously found lane change to be more of a "can I avoid dropping out of AP to change lanes?" than a reliable feature. I had resorted to only using it when traffic was very light and even then it sometimes would just let me sit there in the lane with the turn signal on. I used it today several times and it worked without issue.

With 42.2, AP also suggests lane changes if traffic is lighter in another lane and also for lane changes needed to take exits (if you enable Nav on AP). I have the setting for speed based lane changes set to "Mild" and AP suggested only a few lane changes. I'll try "Average" on my next drive but I'm guessing "Mad Max" might suggest lane changes a bit too frequently.

I'll need to try my morning drive again to be sure, but it seemed that the Navigate on AP feature was suggesting a lane change to a lane that was 'exit only' before my desired exit. This was at the start of my drive so it may have been traffic related lane changes; I was still trying to figure out the notifications popping up on the screen. Will try to verify this the next time I take this drive.

Not sure if this was posted already, but the Nav on AP lane changes are shown in blue vs regular navigation steps.
Nav turns.jpg
Of these four steps, I only took over for the final merge. I'm not sure if AP would have handled that fine but this merge to the right is into a lane where there were cars approaching and attempting to merge into my lane. May need to try another time to see if AP can handle it.

One thing that pleasantly surprised me was how AP handled the exit from I95S to I676. As shown below, I was in a lane where you can keep left to remain on I95 or keep right to exit. Up until 42.2 I had to disengage AP so that I could keep right and exit. Not only did AP keep right but it turned on the right turn signal! Maybe that's in the release notes but it still elicited an "Oh wow" from me.
To 676W.jpg

Someone mentioned somewhere (lol) there is no new setting and that the increase didn’t even make it into 42.2. Forgot which thread that was in but in any case the intent is fixing the current standard regen setting to more like the S/X level.
That’s what I understand, anyway.
My P3D is in the shop and I have an S loaner. The S regenerative braking is really weak (about half) compared to my 3. So if they make the 3 more like the S level they will be lessening the regen then.

• Funny
Reactions: Alketi
My Samsung Galaxy S8 is spotty at best.

Phone as key works 90% of the time. Quite frustrating to be honest. So i really wouldnt mind an actual reliable key for my car

Mine isn't frustrating AT ALL...ever.

I'm a male and I don't need a key fob bulging out of my pocket when I already have a phone with me. I usually only have 4 pockets and I don't need to occupy them with anything more than a phone. If I carried a purse or a man-bag...then.... maybe.....

I don't carry a key chain anymore... and rarely do I need to carry a wallet. Phone-only is enough.

Lane changes are much more decisive. I don't know if this change came in 39.7 or 42.2 but I had previously found lane change to be more of a "can I avoid dropping out of AP to change lanes?" than a reliable feature. I had resorted to only using it when traffic was very light and even then it sometimes would just let me sit there in the lane with the turn signal on. I used it today several times and it worked without issue.

I hope that is the case. It is definitely absolutely unequivocally not from 39.7. The lane change in 39.7 is terrible, it makes lane changes like a Floridian retiree. It takes forever to start once you turn on the blinker and many times it ping pongs back to the original lane even though there are no cars in the adjacent lane. I end up overriding EAP and manually making the lane change almost every time.