Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2018.44.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To edit this, the port then unlocks itself again after some time. So unless charging, the port is always unlocked.
I just got 44.2. I have my car set for scheduled charging and both the car and the charge port are locked, while not charging. So it seems, my experience, so far, is different from yours. So I'm not sure what changes in charge connections I should be expecting.

• Informative
Reactions: Moeshorzon
I was quite surprised to get a software update notification on Thanksgiving. If I were managing update deployments at Tesla there’s no way in hell I’d be deploying any updates on Thanksgiving.
Why not?

If you don’t want an update to install on the day you are notified it is available, you can change the install date through the center display.

Why not?

If you don’t want an update to install on the day you are notified it is available, you can change the install date through the center display.

I’m quite aware I can change when the update is scheduled to install. My point was that it was surprising of Tesla to push out a new version on Thanksgiving. At most companies it’s not good practice to release updates to a production environment around or on major holidays. If there’s some major issue they’ll have minimal staff available to help with any unexpected issues. It’s one of the reasons that we don’t make any major changes or upgrades on Fridays at my job if it can be avoided.

Reactions: davedavedave
I just got 44.2. I have my car set for scheduled charging and both the car and the charge port are locked, while not charging. So it seems, my experience, so far, is different from yours. So I'm not sure what changes in charge connections I should be expecting.
I couldn't edit or update my previous post, but I need to do so. Like everyone else who have reported that the charge port remains unlocked unless charging is occurring, my charge port unlocked after a period of time before my scheduled charging began. I can't confirm it locked during the scheduled charging, but several hours later after charging, the charging port was unlocked, even though the car was locked. I am guessing this is not a bug, but is intentional to allow removal of the charging cable by not allowing the locking mechanism to lock and perhaps freeze after charging. During charging, the charge port isn't as likely to freeze up, so locking it is allowed.
One advantage other than preventing your cable getting frozen into the port, will be your being able to immediately remove the cable in the morning even before the car is woken up or unlocked. A disadvantage would be that your cable is more easily subject to theft.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I wonder if they pulled the 44.2 update? I see a flurry of installs this morning on TeslaFi, had an update notification come through on my phone last night just before midnight CST, but when I tried to install this morning, the prompt is gone from both my phone and the car.

I received the notice in the app, as well. Went to install it via the app, and it's gone. TeslaFi is showing others still installing well after mine disappeared, tho.

Reactions: ConcordeSST
Question:

The manual states the best thing for the car is to always be plugged in when possible. I believe this was due to the trickle-charge of the 12v systems via the wall connector. When I plug in my wall connector before the update, it would lock and engage as if the car is drawing some current. Now without the lock, the wall connector doesn't engage.

Is this not bad for the overall system operation and battery life?

I got exactly the same problem just after the update. Never had it before.

I wonder if they pulled the 44.2 update? I see a flurry of installs this morning on TeslaFi, had an update notification come through on my phone last night just before midnight CST, but when I tried to install this morning, the prompt is gone from both my phone and the car.

Same problem. Woke up this morning with an update notification on my phone. Clicked on it — nothing happened. Walked to the car and no update was showing as available. This is the second time this has happened to me. I eventually got V9. But only after a second notification.

Same. App notice for update last night. No update available this morning. I wanted to try the update from the app, but that option never showed in my app. Car is version 2018.42.3xx and Android Phone is 3.6.2xx .

Reactions: ConcordeSST
Talk later @TT97 I'm heading up to Snowbird in less time than it will take you to drive from Santa Monica to Manhattan Beach. :)

Snowbird; Low 10°, High 27°. Santa Monica; 55-74°. You may get there faster but will use three times the kWh! :)

Having said that, I just bought my 4 y.o. his first snowboard for Christmas so I am itching to get up to the mountains.

Reactions: 1deepthink
Got the notification last night about 11:45 pm. Updated via the app. Woke up this morning with 44.2 installed. Looks like everything worked. Haven’t checked the car yet.

Went for a quick errand run before the billizard hits here. I use a HPWC to charge at home. When I went to unplug it, it was not locked. I could just pull it out with no resistance. Not sure I liked it. Nice thing is you don’t have to worry about waking the car in morning to unplug.

When I got home I plugged it in and it took a few seconds before it locked the plug. Normally it locks as soon as you insert the plug. I had plenty of time to remove the plug before it locked. Not sure I liked it either.

Reactions: McFlurri
One advantage other than preventing your cable getting frozen into the port, will be your being able to immediately remove the cable in the morning even before the car is woken up or unlocked. A disadvantage would be that your cable is more easily subject to theft.
Is this for the HPWC or the UMC (or both)? I'm not worried about my HPWC being stolen.