Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2018.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, you are saying that if we visit SC, they can initiate the update?

I am still stuck in 2008.42

Why do some owners get update earlier than others? What determines who get the updates earlier than others.
There is no pattern.
If folks are a few updates behind however (.42 isn't that far back), it usually means that there has been a failed upload and a manual push from an SC usually puts the vehicle back into circulation.

I received this update last night. It’s my third time receiving on a Friday night. Also, the Tesla App now shows nearby charging locations and how many stalls are being occupied. Cool feature.

Attachments

• 32D69379-F6DE-4BFA-9501-E190BA173B43.png
    32D69379-F6DE-4BFA-9501-E190BA173B43.png
    536.1 KB · Views: 168
Reactions: remlemasi and DR61

Why do some owners get update earlier than others? What determines who get the updates earlier than others.
Yes, call or email you advisor. They can push the update OTA if you give them a good reason to do so. They don’t want you coming in if there’s a chance that software can fix a bug.

Yes, call or email you advisor. They can push the update OTA if you give them a good reason to do so. They don’t want you coming in if there’s a chance that software can fix a bug.
No, just be patient. “I want it now” is not a good reason, and unnecessary calls to service centers about updates are probably one reason they’re overwhelmed. Updates are sent out slowly over days (it used to be weeks!) so if there is a new bug it doesn’t affect the whole fleet. Also not every car gets every update, often an update is stopped because a problem is found and those who didn’t receive it will only get a later update. Don’t stress about updates. You don’t need every one as soon as it’s out and sometimes you’re better off if you’re not one of the early ones. This isn’t an iPhone.

No, just be patient. “I want it now” is not a good reason, and unnecessary calls to service centers about updates are probably one reason they’re overwhelmed. Updates are sent out slowly over days (it used to be weeks!) so if there is a new bug it doesn’t affect the whole fleet. Also not every car gets every update, often an update is stopped because a problem is found and those who didn’t receive it will only get a later update. Don’t stress about updates. You don’t need every one as soon as it’s out and sometimes you’re better off if you’re not one of the early ones. This isn’t an iPhone.
I said you should give them a good reason. For me, being on 42.x when 46.x was out with multiple bugs was a good reason. Turns out simply updating the software has worked 2/3 times I’ve requested it. This saved an appointment slot and hours of a tech and advisors time.

• Disagree
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt

Basically there’s two types of Tesla updates: Wide updates and minor updates. Wide updates tend to go out to the entire fleet over the course of a few days or a week. These updates are ones that Tesla decided EVERYONE needs (whether it’s because of a major new feature like version 9, or a security patch).

The minor updates in between are different. Some of them go out to about 20-30% of the population, and then a newer version goes out to 20-30% of the population again (like what’s likely happening with .46.2 vs .48). This selection is usually random luck. Sometimes it’s tied to specific HW configurations if they’re testing a specific feature (like we’ve seen them target air suspensions, specific battery sizes, S vs 3 vs X, etc)

Service centers can push minor updates to you. But they have a history of being annoyed at users requesting such pushes. Before long, they will start ignoring all of your communications, even for more serious problems, if you make a habit out of begging for update pushes.