Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2018.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have lost almost all screen function with the new update. (2018.48)
See images of how it looks.

Did update Friday night, screen was messed like that most of the weekend after the update. At times it will flicker back to on with horrible graphics, but then go right back to the colored lines. Never had this issue before the Friday night update. And it has never flickered back on since, aside from last night...

After charging last night (Sunday night), the screen was fine when I got in the car, but a mile into my drive, right back to colored lines. Reboots don't fix (can't do the re-boot via the screen, only two scroll wheels)
I did get the message that the Update Completed successfully, so I'm hoping they can just roll me back to the old update to fix this, as I don't think it's an issue with the update not fully finishing.
I guess the screen could have just gone out coincidentally.

Next service appointment is Jan 9th which is crazy because I don't want to go over a month with no MPH, no Back up Camera, no Proximity Chimes when parking (turned those off the day before so the baby wouldn't wake up while parking), No Sound/Music (it's frozen on something and the left scroll wheel don't start any music), No Navigate on Auto Pilot to work, etc. (first world problems)

If anyone has experienced this, please let me know. Waiting for a call back from Tesla now.
(Update: they say, sorry, soonest is over a month away, tough luck. This bothers me a little, but i do understand somewhat)
Before you take it for service try this:
There is an option in the menu to power off the car, let the screen turn off for 2 mins then press on the breaks to turn it on. If that doesn’t work try soft reset by pressing the two buttons in steering wheel, hold it until the screen turns off and shows the Tesla sign.
Let us know if any of these resolve your issues.
In an extreme case, there is an option for factory reset.

And if you're feeling a bit more brave and have a set of torx bits, there's a little panel underneath the neck of the screen that you can pry off. From there, if you unfasten the two T-20 screws, the screen comes off. Check that cable connection. Unplug and reseat the cable while you have the screen unmounted.

I wouldn't say everything works, given the frequency with which the car fails to properly load USB media, shuts off when I close the door after getting in, auto high beams are a little schizophrenic, it failed to load the in-car manual when I was showing the interface to one of the guys from Rivian, etc. Plus, I'm still waiting for track mode.
I didn’t say everything works perfectly.

Ironically enough, 46.2 downloaded today. No issues yet but I haven’t moved the car. Fingers crossed.

I’ll bet the auto high beam behavior will always be a programming challenge. It probably requires HW3.0 to work, like all other neural net features. Part of the problem is that low beams are so bright that reflection is blinding sensors. But the low beams are so terrific that I’ve changed my thinking. I prefer and use low beams by default. In rare cases where brights are needed, I activate and think of the M3 as having an auto-dimming feature, not an auto bright feature. Yeah, it’s subtle. But my turn lever switch remains off (in) until I decide conditions require brights and push it out. The software pushes back if brights should not be on. Kinda makes a difference in my respect level.

.48 is buggy! Since update, we have had phantom wiper issues going on full speed in no rain, wipers not working in rain (automatically), app bug saying charger not properly plugged in, and now a phantom rear window constantly opening!

Made the call, apparently Tesla tried to revert the software today (before our call and window issue). Was canceled/not successfully. Ranger ordered. Took an 1hr:08 minutes on phone to wait and discuss.

Really this has been the first issue with this wonderful car, but the timing sucks. Going to try and drive tomorrow.

But, yes, we have PIN to drive now.

.48 is buggy! Since update, we have had phantom wiper issues going on full speed in no rain, wipers not working in rain (automatically), app bug saying charger not properly plugged in, and now a phantom rear window constantly opening!

Made the call, apparently Tesla tried to revert the software today (before our call and window issue). Was canceled/not successfully. Ranger ordered. Took an 1hr:08 minutes on phone to wait and discuss.

Really this has been the first issue with this wonderful car, but the timing sucks. Going to try and drive tomorrow.

The update has hit around 5% of the fleet, and the other 95% is eagerly clamoring for the update. This is a good example of why Tesla does limited rollouts like this. Sorry that you’ve got a rough experience this time around. I’ve had 1 update in my 2 years of Tesla ownership that was so buggy I wish I didn’t receive it at all. But even then, it lasted maybe 2-3 weeks before the next update came around to resolve it.

Hope you get a quick resolution too! It’s worth remembering that this is a lottery situation... You had a 95% chance of being held on a more stable update.

I got 46.2 last night and a few hours later I went to use the car and everything was lit up like a Christmas tree - regen braking not working, steering assist, cruise control, traction control, stability control, everything had warnings and errors. I rebooted the car and it all came up but it was freaky. Hope it doesn't happen again. Hasn't happened since then and drove quite a bit today.

I got 46.2 last night and a few hours later I went to use the car and everything was lit up like a Christmas tree - regen braking not working, steering assist, cruise control, traction control, stability control, everything had warnings and errors. I rebooted the car and it all came up but it was freaky. Hope it doesn't happen again. Hasn't happened since then and drove quite a bit today.
That just means one of the safety features threw out an error. When one does, they all do. Happened to me as well, not after an update, after SuperCharging. A reboot fixed it. Roadside assistance said this can happen and isn’t a big deal unless it doesn’t reset.

this narrative of "the car gets better over time" also is "some new bugs are introduced at any time" in this case.

I am really fine with my car "getting better" much less frequently, say once every 6 months rather than once every 3 weeks. Really fine.

What's the point of updates if existing features still stay in beta status, and the new features enter the car in even less stable status. Plus some stuff that worked before gets broken again from time to time. The sum of bugs just goes up over time. It's getting annoying.

Tesla. Please spend more than couple hours to couple days on QA in your release cycle! Also do what is known automated regression testing. I beg this much of you.

Last edited:
this narrative of "the car gets better over time" also is "some new bugs are introduced at any time" in this case.

I am really fine with my car "getting better" much less frequently, say once every 6 months rather than once every 3 weeks. Really fine.

What's the point of updates if existing features still stay in beta status, and the new features enter the car in even less stable status. Plus some stuff that worked before gets broken again from time to time. The sum of bugs just goes up over time. It's getting annoying.

Tesla. Please spend more than couple hours to couple days on QA in your release cycle! Also do what is knowing automated regression testing. I beg this much of you.

And it would be nice if they told us what version is ready for update in the app BEFORE you agree to update your software.

I got one software update last Thursday (didn’t upgrade) and another one pushed this morning. Have no idea what versions each might be but I’m waiting until more people have 48 in case this last version is that one. Too many new bugs issues with prior releases and I have neither the time nor patience to be a beta tester with the software.

And it would be nice if they told us what version is ready for update in the app BEFORE you agree to update your software.

I got one software update last Thursday (didn’t upgrade) and another one pushed this morning. Have no idea what versions each might be but I’m waiting until more people have 48 in case this last version is that one. Too many new bugs issues with prior releases and I have neither the time nor patience to be a beta tester with the software.

I'd also like to see semi-detailed release notes in the app before I click update (similar to what Apple does with iOS updates).

I have one car still on 42.4 and the other still on 42.8. Both have software updates pending that I'm not installing.

I'm fine with a software bug here and there in the media interface or an EAP hiccup on a new feature. But I'm not about to install something that screws the charge port. That's a fundamental item that's necessary for the operation of the car. It's not beta, and it's not a new feature. How Tesla could screw that up so badly is beyond me.

My two 3's aren't moving off of 42.x until that's fully sorted.

• Disagree
Reactions: CTreast

Everything is fine now. That window issue must have figured it out or was otherwise exorcised out! It only acted up that one night.