Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2018.50.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're correct. Which is why there is the "premium connectivity" option which is $8/month.

Some of us are grandfathered though and have that free for life.
Understand, I’m also grandfathered. But the original post talked about streaming services which currently aren’t well supported. I suspect that even those grandfathered would not receive streaming without a fee...too expensive. Sort of like internet on an airplane. Even in first class they want their $5 lol. But, no one knows, just my guess.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I'll second that. Also, if I open the back door to grab something, it doesn't need to steal the bluetooth from my headset and start playing it in the car.
Unfortunately for my use case I want the exact opposite. When my car is plugged in at home I have zero reason for everything to kick on when I open the door. The car is plugged in so I’m clearly not going anywhere and it’s at home so it’s in the garage and at a moderate temperature. If I wanted it preconditioned before departure I would have done so from my sofa.

When the car isn’t plugged in it’s likely to be outdoors and I’m likely to be going somewhere when I open the door. In this case I certainly want the HVAC to kick on as quickly as possible to bring the cabin to a comfortable temperature.

What I don’t need is my car in the garage, plugged in, not going anywhere, to fire up the HVAC and EVSE for 90 seconds while I get a box of Tide out of the back seat that I forgot to bring in from the grocery store. The car can stay inert and avoid wasting electricity and adding a wear cycle to its components.

I'm torn here. I can understand both sides.

Sometimes, I'm cleaning the car, plugged in, HVAC on, BT connected, because, quite honestly, I want to not sweat/freeze in the car as I make it pretty and love the sound. I've also left a thing or two in the car and don't need BT/HVAC.

One thing I can think of is using the app and deep sleep function here. Tesla engineers/programmers could design a 'continue sleeping' option on the app. Allow a time of say five minutes where the car is unlocked but otherwise sleeping. No HVAC, no BT, just quick in and out. I am not sure any other programming works, unless maybe utilizing the sensors in the seats to prevent activating HVAC/BT capability if not in use. However, I, for one, use the auto connection on door opening to play music. Possibly, put all these as options in the UI.

I'm torn here. I can understand both sides.

Sometimes, I'm cleaning the car, plugged in, HVAC on, BT connected, because, quite honestly, I want to not sweat/freeze in the car as I make it pretty and love the sound. I've also left a thing or two in the car and don't need BT/HVAC.

One thing I can think of is using the app and deep sleep function here. Tesla engineers/programmers could design a 'continue sleeping' option on the app. Allow a time of say five minutes where the car is unlocked but otherwise sleeping. No HVAC, no BT, just quick in and out. I am not sure any other programming works, unless maybe utilizing the sensors in the seats to prevent activating HVAC/BT capability if not in use. However, I, for one, use the auto connection on door opening to play music. Possibly, put all these as options in the UI.

I think there's an easy solution here. If one wants to fart around in the car for a while (cleaning, Atari, etc.) and have it draw power from the EVSE just press the brake pedal while it's plugged in to initiate running from shore power while at home. Otherwise stick to the charge timer settings and leave the systems down until unplugged.

Yeah...that's true.

I also wonder why it has now taken weeks to roll out an update. Does it have to do with how many cars they have to send updates too "now a days"?

Me too, and I also wonder what "access to priority updates" means in my loot box in the tesla app.. seeing as how I dont have this yet either and I have that turned on in my tesla app.

Still on 2018.48, no WiFi in my garage now so maybe that’s why...

I used to receive very late updates over LTE as my home wifi didn't have the reach. I've since connected to my office wifi and most of my update notifications only happens when I'm parked at the office so it's very likely wifi prioritizes you. I'm not sure how big the update files are but if Tesla is paying for bandwidth, that definitely adds up for the tens of thousands or more cars that aren't on wifi.

Also if anyone is wondering, the public hotspots provided by ISPs like Xfinity won't work because they require a browser login authentication that Tesla doesn't yet appear to support. Might also not be reliable with Starbucks since sometimes I have to accept terms before I get connected but other times I don't.

Last edited: