Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair enough. I just get exhausted by anyone who thinks the car is perfect, with no room for dissent. Some of it can be worked around with planning (windows freezing in place), some is a little inconvenient, like the wipers.

16,000 miles in, those are my only real gripes. And they've at least tried to address both with software fixed, which is more than other OEMs would have done.

And fair enough right back. Sorry it became a tad testy between us. Definitely not my intent! Enjoy your car...I am only 2,000 miles in at this point.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
I noticed that the mirrors folded before putting the vehicle in park with auto folding mirrors based on location. The mirrors even tilt downward while folded. This is a problem if you are backing into a parking spot and you don't rely solely on the backup camera. Anyone else have this problem? I searched and found nothing.
Same issue here. I have mirrors set to auto fold at my home since I have a garage. However when backing up they should unfold, but they don’t. Definitely needs a software fix.

Same issue here. I have mirrors set to auto fold at my home since I have a garage. However when backing up they should unfold, but they don’t. Definitely needs a software fix.
I've never understood the rational for folding mirrors geolocated anyhow.
If it's because you have a tight garage (I do) wouldn't you rather use the mirrors as locators as you drive in, instead of having them fold and using your fenders? I would much rather misjudge and hit a mirror than scrape my fender along the garage entry.
I don't think any modern garage door is less than 83 inches wide.

If it's because you have a tight garage (I do) wouldn't you rather use the mirrors as locators as you drive in, instead of having them fold and using your fenders? I would much rather misjudge and hit a mirror than scrape my fender along the garage entry.

We always have the mirrors on our cars folded when we enter and exit the garage. Our mirrors will definitely hit the garage door frames if we don't. And our house was built in 2014.

Poorly designed, at least.

Complete rabbit trail, but yes I can't believe all the new houses where either the door is too tight or the length is so short you can't park a small SUV in and close the door because it either doesn't fit or once the door is closed there is literally 0 space to walk to the other side of the vehicle.

Folding mirrors would make me nervous that someone would hit their fender.

Complete rabbit trail, but yes I can't believe all the new houses where either the door is too tight or the length is so short you can't park a small SUV in and close the door because it either doesn't fit or once the door is closed there is literally 0 space to walk to the other side of the vehicle.

Folding mirrors would make me nervous that someone would hit their fender.

Yeah, rabbit trail indeed but my general theory is that if your house was built after about 1950 and can't fit a Model 3 in the garage, your architect was a moron.

Reactions: C141medic
Good point for driving in. I was trying to use auto fold for summon. It seems like it doesn’t really matter with or without auto fold when using summon. Either way I have to repeatedly activate summon when pulling into the garage. Pulling out is much simpler.

If they would hit driving in, wouldn't they hit driving out as well? Why would you need to have them folded only when driving in?
They don’t hit when unfolded driving in or out. I just thought, since I use summon, I’d have a little more leeway with the mirrors folded in case the summon veered in either direction. They should unfold when backing up so you can utilize the mirrors, if there’s a curb, as well as the dash cam for backing up. I think I’m just going to turn off location based autofold at my house for now.

They don’t hit when unfolded driving in or out. I just thought, since I use summon, I’d have a little more leeway with the mirrors folded in case the summon veered in either direction. They should unfold when backing up so you can utilize the mirrors, if there’s a curb, as well as the dash cam for backing up. I think I’m just going to turn off location based autofold at my house for now.

If it's just for Summon, if the car is locked and the mirrors fold, they will not unfold for Summon. Just lock the car before using Summon.

At the car wash it works for me.

I absolutely prefer backing out of the garage with the mirrors folded.

I think they should unfold at the same time the car issues the command to close the garage door.

Reactions: C141medic