Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 46.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a L.A. --> Sacramento --> San Fran --> L.A. drive two weeks ago on 42.3 with NoA almost the entire trip - I don't think it's the maps. It was working fine before 46.2 and even with 46.2 it will still works roughly 10% of the drives.

Planning on a L.A. to San Jose/ SF in a few weeks... how much range loss (or gain?) did you experience up & down the Grapevine, and any other significant inclines/declines along the way?

The car nav takes elevation changes into account, no problem. Just enter your destination. All the trip planners do the same. The car does not consider temperature, as far as I know, unless you have already been driving in the current conditions for 30 miles or so. So if the first segment of your trip is immediately up and down Grapevine and the temperature is very low the car could underestimate the possible losses. That wasn't a big problem on our November trip from Arizona to Arches National Park. If the car is not starting cold soaked, the hit for mildly cold temps is not bad. We drove through New Mexico and got unexpected snow in the middle of the drive but didn't even have to slow down.

Planning on a L.A. to San Jose/ SF in a few weeks... how much range loss (or gain?) did you experience up & down the Grapevine, and any other significant inclines/declines along the way?

There is definitely range loss going up the Grapevine, but you get out back going back down.

The biggest ranges loses are due to the higher speed limits past the Grapevine as well as rain and heavy head winds I encountered coming back down.

The navigation is really good at calculating where you need to stop and for how long. If you stop at Gustine and go to Andersen's Pee Soup, their service is so slow you will have more charge than you need by the time you finish.

The upgrade to 46.2 has made the automatic windshield wipers totally usable now for me. Previously they wouldn't turn on until the windshield was so covered that I couldn't see properly. Now they seem more sensitive and actually turn on when I expect them to.

Well if you haven’t upgraded to 46.2 yet you might want to hold off. Got in my Model 3 dual motor yesterday, one day after upgrade. After putting car in Drive, for whole bunch or errors that traction control, regent braking, stability control and more were disabled, and car “needs service”. See screen shot.

View attachment 358551

Pulled over and called Tesla roadside assistance. They told me this is “known issue with 46.2” and “should be addressed in next update in 2 weeks”. He had me power off the car through the service menu, and after it restarted in about 2 minutes error messages were gone and car seemed to operate normally.

Doesn’t inspire confidence in the software update process for this new owner!

Anyone else seeing similar behavior?

I had the same issue last week. It’s likely your SCCM that has failed. (Steering Column control module)

It’s a known issue but limited to a small range of cars with that series of sCCM according to my SC.
Yes. Recent 46.2 update. Resolved with powerdown. Never happened before. 75xxx.

I got the same Error Messages today. So do we need to replace the SCCM or just wait for the next update ?

Had the same thing happen today. I drove the car to the local service center (fortunately it's not far from where I live). When I arrived and explained what happened the service tech knew all about it. It's a know bug. Apparently there is a glitch in the way Version 46.x loads various systems. The warnings we all got indicate that is the problem. He proposed a simple fix that worked fine.

Turn the car fully off (use the menu screen). Then use your key card to enter and start the car. That often resets the system and allows the software to load correctly. Once that's done the problem shouldn't reappear. If it does, request an update to Version 48.x. That version corrected the problem permanently (according to the service tech).

I will add that the Tesla team was knowledgeable, very helpful and genuinely interested in making sure everything worked properly. The tech walked me out to my car, followed the steps I outlined, checked the car after it restarted, and asked if I had any questions. Very pleased with the service, even if I was concerned after seeing all of the red service lights. By the way, my car is about 5 weeks old, approaching 1800 miles. This is the first "issue" I've had, and given the easy fix I have no complaints. When the pop-ups showed up on the screen the car drove very differently -- no regen, terrible energy efficiency, etc. The reset fixed everything.

Here is an image of the warning pop-up:

thumbnail.jpeg