Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Request" is not quite the same as "get." Presumably, a request will not strain the servers, and they will still serve them out at a rate the servers can handle. But some folks will want the update right away and others will prefer to wait and make sure there are no bugs. This will be better than just sending them out by purchase-date priority.

What evidence do you have they're sending firmware updates out in order of purchase date? It certainly doesn't work that way for the S/X.

I do agree with your statement about "request" and "get". Based on no substantive information whatsoever, I think that this new feature will allow a car to check for eligible software updates on demand, but individual cars will continue to have different "newest" versions, depending on hardware configuration or Tesla's rollout strategies. In other words, I've seen a lot of people reading (IMHO) way too much into Elon's tweet.

Bruce.

I am seeing many people get their updates yet I haven’t. I have had the car since 3/8 and Dallas service center says there is an issue with the update and has stopped pushing it til it gets fixed. I’ve tried twice asking them for an update. Are they lying since it seems people are being updated?

F9E3AE3F-6237-40CA-816F-B8E886D8073F.jpeg
745F327E-DD70-4D84-8529-22CC257FF07F.jpeg
7D8BC1B4-BD4B-438E-9D01-A80B4AD281D9.jpeg
745F327E-DD70-4D84-8529-22CC257FF07F.jpeg
Is that newer than 2018.10.5? I assume yes. If so, what’s new!?

Got it today, courtesy of service center.
Here’s the major change, I’ll have to play with it more today to see.
On second note, it’s 2018.12.1

Last edited:
I am seeing many people get their updates yet I haven’t. I have had the car since 3/8 and Dallas service center says there is an issue with the update and has stopped pushing it til it gets fixed. I’ve tried twice asking them for an update. Are they lying since it seems people are being updated?
Updates get stopped and restarted all the time. This is why they don’t go to everyone all at once—so if a problem is found it doesn’t affect the whole fleet (and overwhelm the service centers). Just be patient about updates and don’t assume the service people are lying.

Reactions: chibi_kurochan
On 2018.10.5 if I try to unplug the car when I do not have the phone with me it does not release. But if I have the phone with me I can unplug it. I do not need to touch the door at all. Phone is an iPhone SE running iOS 10. I never upgraded to iOS 11 because of all the reported issues. I never force-close the Tesla app so I guess it's always running in the background, but it's never in the forefront and the phone screen is locked.

Don't know if this makes a difference: I have to walk past the car, close to it, to get to the back of the car where it plugs in. So the phone comes close to wherever the sensors are.

A correction: The above was an accurate description until this morning, when the charge cable would not unplug until I opened the door. I had not driven the car for a few days because I had no need to go anywhere and the weather was not pleasant enough for a joyride.

Speculation: If the car has gone to sleep it must be awakened by opening a door or using the app before the cable can be unplugged. If the car has not gone to sleep the cable can be unplugged if the phone is in range but not otherwise.

I'm still on 2018.10.5

I got 2018.12.1 yesterday from the service center. All is good, but I had to do a restore of favorite radio stations (unrelated to 12.1) and when I added a favorite FM station it created two favorites. The correct one and a "phantom favorite" labeled "0.1". Very strange. If I delete the FM favorites the "0.1" phantom stays. If I am listening to Slacker and click on the "0.1" it goes to the first FM favorite. Anyone else with 12.1 able to reproduce it? I know with a handle like "All digital" I should be embarrassed posting an FM radio issue. My wife is not all digital.

IMG_5835.jpg

I got 2018.12.1 yesterday from the service center. All is good, but I had to do a restore of favorite radio stations (unrelated to 12.1) and when I added a favorite FM station it created two favorites. The correct one and a "phantom favorite" labeled "0.1". Very strange. If I delete the FM favorites the "0.1" phantom stays. If I am listening to Slacker and click on the "0.1" it goes to the first FM favorite. Anyone else with 12.1 able to reproduce it? I know with a handle like "All digital" I should be embarrassed posting an FM radio issue. My wife is not all digital.

View attachment 292519
We’ve had the phantom 0.1 radio station that we can’t delete since getting the car in December (2017.X firmware). Also sometimes the radio station won’t really change channels although the UI says it did. Poor beta level software quality on Tesla’s part...

Hopefully 12.1 will fix my backup camera issue. About 2/3 of the time the screen is black but shows the directional lines. The screen also becomes unresponsive for a few seconds. Then sometimes it just works. Anyone else experience this?

Attachments

• EE36DF24-52E4-4D06-B42C-BCD64E5186E9.jpeg
    EE36DF24-52E4-4D06-B42C-BCD64E5186E9.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 50
Well, I called Tesla and they indicated that while an update was pushed to my car, engineering revoked it due to issues with the update and should wait for the next one to drop. Still on 2018.4.9 and no updates yet.

I think this happened to me. Our Model 3 was delivered with 2018.4.9 and on or about 3/27 I received notification on my phone that an update was available. The car was in the shop being wrapped and tinted at the time so later that day I texted the wrap guy and asked him to kick off the software update. He responded that he couldn't find anywhere on the UI to do so. I couldn't figure out why he was unable to see the alarm clock icon and why I haven't seen any icon since I picked the car up. I guess I just need to wait.

Reactions: chibi_kurochan
Thanks for the graphic info, now I understand the wording of 'only' use left wheel to control both mirrors.
I can live with this trade off for utilizing right wheel to change autopiliot speed/following distance.
Yes, it’s 100x better to be able to control autopilot speed and distance right on the steering. Just have to master the quick scroll = long press (+-5 mph) for the autopilot speed adjustment

The left button applies for both mirror and steering adjustments.

I suppose they are worried about people getting confused about what function each scroll wheel does. Not that big of a deal if you accidentally raise the audio volume, but accidental TACC speed change could be dangerous. Of course people should pay attention to what they are doing and even RTFM, but we know that rarely happens.

I understand the auto wiper feature is considered "beta" but wondered how well its working for everyone? For me about a third of the time I have to do a manual swipe since the wipers don't ever start. In general I also find the wipers don't wipe frequently enough when they do start up correctly. I imagine over time this behavior will be fixed but until then I probably intervene half the time. On 2018.12.1. They worked better on 2018.10.5.

Just don't do what I did and go into a touchless car wash and forget to disable the wipers. As soon as the soap and water was sprayed on the windshield the wipers started up and wiped off the soap! Just took a few seconds to figure out what to do but it in the meantime it was embarrassing.