Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting this SD card reformatting too. I asked if it was widespread and the tech said no, they have a new program and are testing remote reformatting on my car because it raised a flag in a new alert system. If it is successful I won’t get any kind of alert. If it fails I may get an error message and I will get a call from tech support.
This car had a series of failed updat attempts shortly after delivery. The SD card was implicated but eventually the whole MCU was replaced and a few updates have happened without difficulty—until the last one.
Since upgrading to 2018 .18.3 my car has a doppelgänger. The phone app switches back-and-forth every few seconds between my car with the correct name, the correct location, accurate charging status and another car with open frunk, open trunk, wrong name and wrong location. Tech-support describes this as the server receiving two sets of information from the same VIN. One set is the last data from before the MCU replacement and the other is current. A ghost in the machine which I am hoping can be exorcised with this new reformatting process.

just got model 3 today..drove to store got back to car and it said it started the update.. but i wanted to get home 1st..so it canceled when i started driving..it hasn't reinitiated the update. do i just need to wait for it to decide to do it? it didn;t give me option to pick a time
thoughts?
jb

just got model 3 today..drove to store got back to car and it said it started the update.. but i wanted to get home 1st..so it canceled when i started driving..it hasn't reinitiated the update. do i just need to wait for it to decide to do it? it didn;t give me option to pick a time
thoughts?
jb
Did you tap something without realizing it? The update window has two options— install now, or set a time to install. It defaults to the middle of the night, which is the best time to install an update, as you won’t be tempted to “check on it”. If you cancelled, you should still have the update icon at the top of the screen. It looks like a little clock.

I am getting this SD card reformatting too. I asked if it was widespread and the tech said no, they have a new program and are testing remote reformatting on my car because it raised a flag in a new alert system. If it is successful I won’t get any kind of alert. If it fails I may get an error message and I will get a call from tech support.
This car had a series of failed updat attempts shortly after delivery. The SD card was implicated but eventually the whole MCU was replaced and a few updates have happened without difficulty—until the last one.
Since upgrading to 2018 .18.3 my car has a doppelgänger. The phone app switches back-and-forth every few seconds between my car with the correct name, the correct location, accurate charging status and another car with open frunk, open trunk, wrong name and wrong location. Tech-support describes this as the server receiving two sets of information from the same VIN. One set is the last data from before the MCU replacement and the other is current. A ghost in the machine which I am hoping can be exorcised with this new reformatting process.
This is exactly why I was against my SC wanting to replace my MCU before consulting with engineering. It’s a brand new car for heaven’s sake, why would so many of us need new MCU. If that was the case, then Tesla really have quality issues. A lot of these issues most likely caused by bugs..

Did you tap something without realizing it? The update window has two options— install now, or set a time to install. It defaults to the middle of the night, which is the best time to install an update, as you won’t be tempted to “check on it”. If you cancelled, you should still have the update icon at the top of the screen. It looks like a little clock.
thnx... didn't see option to insall later..it said..installing..thought i was stuck there for a few hours... will take another look
jb

Got home from a three-week trip (car stayed at home, was not a road trip) and the car said an update was available so I told it to install. 2018.18.13. Since the release notes only refer to the current release, and I might have skipped over one, I don't know if other stuff might have changed.

The one change in this release is that they've made it harder to play music from my USB flash drive because the choice for USB is now buried another level deeper in the menu.

Come on, Tesla, there should be a button right at the top of the Music menu for "Resume last music source." It would not be a problem if the car would simply remember the last music source, but half the time it resumes playing when I get in the car, and half the time the music is off, and no source is selected, and I have to go through all the menus to get to USB, and then go to Albums, and select the album and track.

The CD players in other cars I have just resume playing where they left off. Would it be so hard for the Model 3 to always resume playing where it left off? My Roadster does it when playing from a connected iPod.

They mean that the wiper card only comes up temporarily and then goes away, rather than taking over the card section when you use the wiper mist control.

Love that it's now temporary. One swipe right and you get trip info, one swipe left is tire pressure. Press the mist button and wiper card comes up temporary then goes away after a two seconds or so. Also love how we can continually improve the car with OTA updates. One huge reason why Tesla is way ahead of the game IMO.

Reactions: VBruce
They mean that the wiper card only comes up temporarily and then goes away, rather than taking over the card section when you use the wiper mist control.

Now if only they would keep the headlights from turning on every time a quick windshield wiper swipe/mist is used activated by pressing the stalk it and save it for when the full wiper control is turned on pressing the card.

Reactions: BMWLover
Hadn’t seen this in this thread/3 forum yet. Apologies if I missed it.

Updated earlier today to 2018.21.9. M3 and MS now on exactly the same build versions.

Addition of autopilot freeway exit deceleration, cars in adjacent lanes now on display (though doesn’t disambiguate trucks, motorbikes, etc from cars yet) and easier saving of driver profile settings (now with Hvac stored too)

Wipers still frustrating when rain-sensing. Needs to rain in Fremont more... ;)

Screenshots

D6A6B88E-82D8-48C2-B356-DB7CC12C3F28.jpeg

F4F50DF3-16D0-453F-BA8D-74670607E302.jpeg

298A52E3-1EC8-4C61-AC29-53DA779FAB69.jpeg