Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Under side mirrors setting, you can toggle side mirror to auto tilt when you put car in reverse. Which is also adjustable and saved for each driver profile.

The steering is looking for torque (slight weight or tug on the wheel) No squeeze sensor.
I thought it was some kind of pressure sensor. I assumed that’s why squeezing an orange into the steering wheel worked. I’ll try a slight tug next time. Thanks.

Reactions: chibi_kurochan
Sorry for newb question. How does one know if an update is available on the car? I received a notification on my phone that an update is available but didn’t find any indication of it on the car.

The screen should show a very big message telling you the update is available, and giving you the option to "Update Now" or to schedule the update for a later time. But the car needs cell connectivity. If you have no connectivity maybe it won't even show the message (?).

I got the alert on my phone and ran right out to the garage, and I was lucky that I had connectivity, changing between one bar and two. Usually I don't have connectivity when the car is in my garage. Lousy AT&T!

Did anyone get 18.12 yet supposedly (reddit) it allows speed change via scroll wheel when using AP/TACC now.

People are just now getting 2018.10.5. Is somebody saying they're going to skip over 2018.11 and jump from 2018.10 to 2018.12?

That would be very nice, to get speed change via the scroll wheel. I also want to change AP follow distance via the scroll wheel (right click, left click) because on the freeway I want to leave more distance when traffic is light, and less when it's heavy.

Reactions: KentuckyX
People are just now getting 2018.10.5. Is somebody saying they're going to skip over 2018.11 and jump from 2018.10 to 2018.12?

That would be very nice, to get speed change via the scroll wheel. I also want to change AP follow distance via the scroll wheel (right click, left click) because on the freeway I want to leave more distance when traffic is light, and less when it's heavy.
2018.12 Vehicle Software Update Megathread • r/teslamotors
Someone posted the release notes, but I am not sure if they are vehicle specific or if every Tesla sees every other models notes.

It’s funny to watch sometimes. TMC posts insider info, Reddit picks it up, then TMC posts the reddit info... ;)

Original post was/is here with, what looks like, internal Tesla release note details: Firmware Update 2018.12

WOW!!! Thanks for that. From that post:

18.12 Release Notes:

Model 3:
Steering wheel button updates
For your convenience, we've updated the functions of the scroll buttons on the steering wheel.
The right scroll button now lets you quickly adjust Traffic-Aware Cruise Control settings. To increase or decrease the set cruising speed, roll the right button up or down. To adjust the follow distance between you and the vehicle ahead, press the right button to the left or right.

So they're doing exactly what I and others have been begging for!

So is 2018.12 an update that S and X are getting now? Or is this a leak of what's to come? Are they skipping 2018.11 and jumping right from 10 to 12, or is this plans for the more distant future?

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
WOW!!! Thanks for that. From that post:

So they're doing exactly what I and others have been begging for!

So is 2018.12 an update that S and X are getting now? Or is this a leak of what's to come? Are they skipping 2018.11 and jumping right from 10 to 12, or is this plans for the more distant future?
They have 2 week cadence for releases. Meaning, 2018.10.5 was from week 10 of 2018. Next one is from week 12. There is usually 5 day delay between week N release number and when drivers start receiving the update.

Yes, it appears to be going to the S&X though people aren't being shown the release notes about the navigation change. (You can view data on firmware versions here: Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App)

Odd releases appear to be beta releases for people in the Tesla Early Access Program. (They don't go to the public.)

So yes going from 2018.10 to 2018.12 would be normal.

They have 2 week cadence for releases. Meaning, 2018.10.5 was from week 10 of 2018. Next one is from week 12. There is usually 5 day delay between week N release number and when drivers start receiving the update.
Visually...
bTBVjG7.jpg

Under side mirrors setting, you can toggle side mirror to auto tilt when you put car in reverse. Which is also adjustable and saved for each driver profile.
With 2018.10.5 It now saves the reverse settings (both!) correctly so the mirrors work like they do on the S/X! Now I can dispense with the reverse driver profile work-around.

Reactions: chibi_kurochan
I forgot to mention the best change I’ve noticed so far... post-update the left scroll wheel is now adjusting the volume on every tic/click. It used to need a couple tics for the volume to actually change.
I've noticed there's sometimes a huge volume change on the first tick! Like up to 11 in one tick; takes 20 or so bring it back to reasonable. Kind of annoying bug.

So we're getting those TACC/AP upgrades in just a couple of weeks??? OMFG that's fantastic! :) :) :) :cool:

BTW, my previous two times using AP, one yesterday on the new software, and one a couple of weeks ago on the old, both times I headed east, away from town, on the freeway towards Coeur d'Alene to be in lighter traffic. Today I had to go to downtown Spokane (heavier freeway traffic) and AP worked like a champ.

I have not tried Lane Change in AP in the heavier traffic. Fact is, when the car is doing the driving I was happy to set the speed at just a little over the limit and stay in the middle lane at the speed of traffic without feeling the need to pass. I did use it in the lighter traffic and it works much better than it did before.

Sorry for newb question. How does one know if an update is available on the car? I received a notification on my phone that an update is available but didn’t find any indication of it on the car.

Both times that I have received an update I had an orange alarm clock on the top right side of my screen. When I clicked on the alarm clock I was able to schedule the software update.