Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm speculating here, based on widespread software engineering practices. Releases could start with the same source code, but there could be multiple different build targets. This would be based on significant hardware differences, to minimize download size. Apple does something like that with iOS. The TM3 build doesn't need any Tegra binaries, and the Tegra builds don't need any Atom binaries. HW1 cars don't need drivers from HW2 or HW2.5. Etc.

AFAICT it's all C++ so there would probably be some #ifdef sections for different build targets. Minor differences that don't justify a separate build target might be implemented on a capability basis. For example HW1 might be a build target, but deciding whether or not there's a sunroof could be done at runtime.

Code for a new platform would probably start life as a new branch, but would be merged back into master when it's ready, and then into release branches for production builds. For example there might be a semi branch and a roadster branch right now, but at some point they'll merge back into the main codebase.

Release cycles can be synchronized or not, depending on circumstances. If there's a security bug that affects all vehicles, release the fix on all build targets. If it's a bug fix for HW2.5 only, then there's no need to build and release for any other targets.

• Informative
Reactions: privater
I’m already at 2018.4.9 and today I got a new software update notification and tried installing it this morning but it failed.

Attachments

• BF3D993F-316C-4E82-AAB4-508773D6B1BA.jpeg
    BF3D993F-316C-4E82-AAB4-508773D6B1BA.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 84
C818A102-114E-49E3-99E2-03404B000A2A.jpeg
Sorry should have been more clear. I was on 50.12 and was being upgraded to 4.9 when it failed. They had to push the update again and I had to reinstall.

My bad! My model 3 actually completed the software update fine, not sure why it gave update fail notification.
I had 2018.4.8 9b31a91 from 23rd February and today I got 2018.4.9 700fb88

Looks like there are only 2 of us on ev-fw so far

Other than the other 31. :) (ev-fw doesn't report the hash code anymore, so yours will get rolled in with the rest when @HankLloydRight cleans up the data.

Fixed now, thanks.

Yeah, it's Tesla messing with me again. All the Model S firmware updates are in the format:

Year.Week.Build<space>Hash
or sometimes:
Year.Week<space>Hash

But the Model 3 firmware updates are (now) in the format of:

Year.Week.Build<dot>Hash

which kinda clobbered my code to remove the hash looking for the space. And before you say 'that's not so hard! All hashes are 7 characters long!!!" -- there was the 2017.38 f87c64d5 build with an 8 character hash. :rolleyes:

Just got my update to 2018.4.9 700fb88 from 2017.50.12 b707518 last night. First update since delivery 6 weeks ago.

Maybe it's just me but the turn signal sound is noticeably louder. Motor performance feels different too, car/acceleration feels quicker/punchier and full regen feels heavier.
Turn signal definitely louder. Not sure about performance or regen

Reactions: DFibRL8R
Not sure if turn signal is simply louder or that now it seems to be coming from the rear in addition to the front.
But overall - louder.
The click signal appears to vary in volume depending on speed. When the car is sitting at intersection waiting to turn, it seems about the same. But once I'm at highway speed definitely louder. Also, when using the turn indicator in AP, and you second press to stop when lane change complete, it continues to click for about 3 clicks. A bit annoying as I'm never sure if it is due to not pressing it correctly or not.

Also, when using the turn indicator in AP, and you second press to stop when lane change complete, it continues to click for about 3 clicks. A bit annoying as I'm never sure if it is due to not pressing it correctly or not.

I thought with the Model 3 when using Autosteer that the car cancels the turn signal automatically once it completes the lane change, so you don't need to do anything.

Reactions: kbecks13