Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Odd. I got the notification for 36.1 or 36.2 a few days ago but was waiting until today to update and now the update option is gone. Still on 34.1

I had the same thing happened, I’m on 34.2, got notice on Thursday or Friday, postponed it, and now... no clock icon.

If it’s not just me, I suspect a new update is coming with known fixes to whatever they pushed previously.

When do you guys get update notifications? Right when you start the car and then it goes away if you don’t take action on the notification?

Reason for asking is that I haven’t received an update since purchase. Still on 32.3. I’m starting to think that when the valet brings my car around a notification comes up and it’s gone by the time I get in.

When do you guys get update notifications? Right when you start the car and then it goes away if you don’t take action on the notification?

Reason for asking is that I haven’t received an update since purchase. Still on 32.3. I’m starting to think that when the valet brings my car around a notification comes up and it’s gone by the time I get in.

I get the notification on my phone and then it’s usually waiting for me when I get in the car.

ChrisH - Got it. Given that I’m going to call and see if there is an issue since I haven’t received any updates. Did get a prompt the other day that maps data was in need of update and to ensure I was hooked up to Wifi. Connected car to my building’s WiFi in the garage so we shall see if that makes a difference.

Few small things I noticed tho not sure when this got implemented because I went to 34.1 to 36.2.
1. There’s a pedal icon
2. random pop-up notification while driving on the highway.
3. The temporary missing supercharger information is probably Because Tesla was updating the pricing.

View attachment 337317 View attachment 337316
I got the navigation needed to be updated message too a few days ago and it only appeared once. Today I finally connected to Wifi and almost immediately received the 36.2 update notification. Not sure if nav has been updated. Did update your nav?

I received the update today and went from 36.1 to 36.2. I had two occurrences that I have not experienced before so I thought I should at least mention them. First, I was in the car pool lane doing about 75 with AP engaged. After rounding a curve I could see that traffic was stopped some distance ahead. As I got closer, I kept expecting the car to start to slow down or stop but it held its speed with no sign that it saw the stopped vehicles ahead. I let it go as long as I dared but then chickened out when I saw I would need to slam on my brakes to avoid a collision. I pressed the brakes hard and brought the car to a stop with only a few feet to spare. I admit I was too chicken to just let it go and see what would happen. Second incident, again in the car pool lane on the 55 FWY going east in stop and go traffic. I was doing about 15 mph and a car jumped into my lane from the right. My car acted like it did not see the car and did not brake. I braked with about a foot between us. I think my car would have hit the vehicle had I not applied the brakes. I haven't experienced this behavior before with prior builds. A third minor incident was on the same roadway and there is a point where it splits and to the left takes you to the 5 north and staying in the right lane keeps you on the 55 going east. It tried to exit to the left rather than following the roadway to the right. I had to take control of the wheel to put it on the right path. I did let it go a little way to see whether it would self correct and it didn't. One nice thing when I forced the wheel to follow the path I wanted it didn't release as suddenly as it has in the past which causes a momentary oversteer.
This happened to me once on the 405 north at 605 where there is a sharp bend. I was in carpool lane too. I think the bend makes the cars stopped beyond the bend invisible to the front cameras and radar. The cars are out of range even though they are near. I had to take over as well. Didn’t want to take any chances. That’s why we should always be aware.

I hope version 9 will address this issue by relying more on vision. The stopped cars were clearly visible with time to slow down and stop. They were near an underpass so I can understand the radar might not see them. It should also look at tail lights (even though that is not 100% reliable as some cars have non-working stop lights); however it is reliable at least 98% of the time (my estimate).

I'm currently out of the country and leaving my Model 3 Parked for about 3 months (plugged into 50% charge).

I've gotten a couple notifications through the app about software updates. I won't be able to actually get into the car and update it though for a few months.

Anyone think this will be a problem? I'm concerned the car software will be so outdated and have so many updates by the time I get back it will cause problems.

I'm currently out of the country and leaving my Model 3 Parked for about 3 months (plugged into 50% charge).

I've gotten a couple notifications through the app about software updates. I won't be able to actually get into the car and update it though for a few months.

Anyone think this will be a problem? I'm concerned the car software will be so outdated and have so many updates by the time I get back it will cause problems.

It will not be a problem - once you get the first update after returning, any old changes will be included with the latest update.

I received the update today and went from 36.1 to 36.2. I had two occurrences that I have not experienced before so I thought I should at least mention them. First, I was in the car pool lane doing about 75 with AP engaged. After rounding a curve I could see that traffic was stopped some distance ahead. As I got closer, I kept expecting the car to start to slow down or stop but it held its speed with no sign that it saw the stopped vehicles ahead. I let it go as long as I dared but then chickened out when I saw I would need to slam on my brakes to avoid a collision. I pressed the brakes hard and brought the car to a stop with only a few feet to spare. I admit I was too chicken to just let it go and see what would happen. Second incident, again in the car pool lane on the 55 FWY going east in stop and go traffic. I was doing about 15 mph and a car jumped into my lane from the right. My car acted like it did not see the car and did not brake. I braked with about a foot between us. I think my car would have hit the vehicle had I not applied the brakes. I haven't experienced this behavior before with prior builds. A third minor incident was on the same roadway and there is a point where it splits and to the left takes you to the 5 north and staying in the right lane keeps you on the 55 going east. It tried to exit to the left rather than following the roadway to the right. I had to take control of the wheel to put it on the right path. I did let it go a little way to see whether it would self correct and it didn't. One nice thing when I forced the wheel to follow the path I wanted it didn't release as suddenly as it has in the past which causes a momentary oversteer.

yea, after having updated to 36.2 from 34.1, Auto Pilot is a lot worse in my opinion. It's definitely not slowing down quickly when cars change lanes in front of me, and it seems to take turns a lot more recklessly (it seems to get real close to the outer area of the lane)...a couple times i almost chickened out and took over because i thought it was going to hit a median while in the left lane. Also something very annoying, is the lane change is only working about 1/2 the time for me. Otherwise, the blinker just goes forever and nothing happens. I thought autopilot was close to perfect with 34.1, but this "upgrade" definitely made it worse.

Updated this am.noticed on the map, the supercharger availability is gone.
in light of the wifi maps update requirement... and the fact that the supercharger availability was working the next day...

I think since I installed the update while at work (which I had never done before), it didn't update the maps, and that's why that data was missing. THen once I got home, it updated the maps file, and it worked the next day.

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
in light of the wifi maps update requirement... and the fact that the supercharger availability was working the next day...

I think since I installed the update while at work (which I had never done before), it didn't update the maps, and that's why that data was missing. THen once I got home, it updated the maps file, and it worked the next day.
How do you know your map version? And how to you get it to download them if you don’t have the latest version?

I got the navigation needed to be updated message too a few days ago and it only appeared once. Today I finally connected to Wifi and almost immediately received the 36.2 update notification. Not sure if nav has been updated. Did update your nav?
I have no clue if the map ever updates itself or not. Haven’t gotten any other notification since then. I’m always connected to WiFi at home every night.

I took delivery of my car this past Thursday morning. There was a notification of an update to 36 when I got in the car (it was on 32). I deferred to that evening. When I checked in the AM there was a message saying that the update failed and that it would attempt again. Over the weekend I received the maps out of date message. By Monday it hadn't attempted 36 again, so I called the service line. The person told me that my car wasn't queued for an update, but said he would put it in the queue and that it should push that night or the next night and to call if it didn't. As of this AM it still had not pushed, so I called back. The person I spoke with just now said that 36 was "hammered", explaining that meant that there was an issue with it so they had stopped pushing it out, and that there wasn't another update in between 32 and 36. She noted that v9 was going out to Beta now, and that it only takes a couple of days usually before it goes wide, but that it could still take several days as they roll it out.

Not a big deal, the car works fine, I was mostly concerned that the first update failed and never came back (and the map issue), but I'm fine with waiting for v9. It does seem like there is conflicting info about 36 out there though.