Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to know where the list of things the car listens for came from. Perhaps there is an API that is documented somewhere. Or perhaps it had just been collected from people having success with certain words, sure do wish it recognized the phrase "Directions To..."

Perhaps someone just read a dictionary into their car...

-Randy

Reactions: Drax
Interesting. I'm not getting any notification. I'll see if I can put the car on Wi-Fi and see what happens. Now does this install of version 9 include the all-wheel-drive performance Model 3 vehicles? In other words does version 9 go out to everybody simultaneously or is it released in a staged and vehicle specific fashion?

Last edited:
The rollout of the highly anticipated 9.0 software could happen over the coming WEEKS. The schedule for upgrading the fleet is not rated in hours like it is for an Apple iOS updates. I know we’re all anxious to get the new software update, but we need to be patient. If all members on TMC posted “I’m still waiting” messages, that’s all we’d see here. When we start seeing a mass rollout of the new software to people that are not part of the early access program, and when you still haven’t received the update two to thee weeks after that point, you should:
  1. Verify your car is logged into your wi-fi network. Being on wi-fi gives you a little higher priority to download updates, but it’s not going to immediately start the download just because you’re on wi-fi when parked at home or work
  2. Contact Tesla Service - only do this at something like 3 or more weeks from the point that you are waiting on a release that has been widely distributed for a long time; calling them because you are a week behind on software updates just adds to the work for the already busy group. I personally waited just shy of a month to receive the software update that added the Summon feature.
One thing that has been mentioned as a possible upgrade by Elon is a way to have the owner force a check for the latest software update. That currently isn’t in the Tesla software and also isn’t mentioned as a new feature in the 9.0 release notes that I have read. We’ll just continue to have to wait on the rollout of new software that happens slower than what we desire, especially when talking about such a major release with some major new features.

At least the new software update will let you approve pending updates from the phone. That will be more convenient when you want to start a software update for a notification that you received while you were asleep. Kick off the update from your bedroom while you’re getting ready in the morning so you can play with the new software on the morning commute that day...

Interesting. I'm not getting any notification. I'll see if I can put the car on Wi-Fi and see what happens. Now does this install of version 9 include the all-wheel-drive performance Model 3 vehicles? In other words does version 9 go out to everybody simultaneously or is it released in a staged and vehicle specific fashion?

Tesla normally releases major new updates to small batches at a time, not to everyone at once. Sometimes the batches are for specific feature combinations, other times they are just random.