Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with an early production regular old RWD model 3 (extended range) get the update yet?? It looks like there’s one person so far. I took delivery in mid-February and typically get updates pretty early but nothing yet and I’m wondering if priority is going to the more expensive versions of the M3 and the S and X. Thoughts?

I'm VIN 88XX RWD had since March 2018, still on 36.2 in Oregon.

The problem is that for a major roll out that they sent out an email to get us all hyped up about, it is being dribbled out instead of being blasted out like they did for the Consumer Reports brake issue. In one weekend they had it out to all TM3s. Maybe it is a cost control issue to keep bandwidth costs down nothing else makes sense as they have enough out to know about any major bugs and if encountered they would probably stop roll out entirely until they had a fix. Given that they keep dribbling it out we have to assume that no major bugs have cropped up.

The problem is that for a major roll out that they sent out an email to get us all hyped up about, it is being dribbled out instead of being blasted out like they did for the Consumer Reports brake issue. In one weekend they had it out to all TM3s. Maybe it is a cost control issue to keep bandwidth costs down nothing else makes sense as they have enough out to know about any major bugs and if encountered they would probably stop roll out entirely until they had a fix. Given that they keep dribbling it out we have to assume that no major bugs have cropped up.

The update is 1/10 the size of the two map updates I got last month, I can't imagine it's a bandwidth issue (at least not over Wi-Fi).

Not the bandwidth, the cost for bandwidth for a massive roll out.

No, I understand. I was just making the point that the size for this update is 1/10 the size was for the map updates (and hence the cost for bandwidth would be 1/10 as well) so can't imagine it is a cost issue (now if it using their cellular connection for the downloading, then yes there could be higher costs). Also, this update is not much different size wise than other past updates, some which have been pushed out in mass.

No, I understand. I was just making the point that the size for this update is 1/10 the size was for the map updates (and hence the cost for bandwidth would be 1/10 as well) so can't imagine it is a cost issue (now if it using their cellular connection for the downloading, then yes there could be higher costs). Also, this update is not much different size wise than other past updates, some which have been pushed out in mass.
I wonder when they send them out, if you have to be on WiFi to receive it? If they send one to my car, and I’m in a area that doesn’t get WiFi , would they send it to someone else to receive it?

I wonder when they send them out, if you have to be on WiFi to receive it? If they send one to my car, and I’m in a area that doesn’t get WiFi , would they send it to someone else to receive it?

From what I read, Tesla would basically send a notice to the car that the update is ready for download. Once the car is connected to Wi-Fi, it will start to download the update and after fully downloaded, it will give the notice that the update is ready to install. In addition, there is a code that if the car does not connect to Wi-Fi within X hours (X hours being weeks), then the car will proceed to download via cellular.

Not the bandwidth, the cost for bandwidth for a massive roll out.

I don't think it's related to bandwidth at all, but to risk.

Tesla is being risk adverse with the rollout to Model 3's.

On Teslafi the roll out to Model S/X vehicles seems to be going a good rate when you consider that quite a few of the vehicles on Teslafi are international and they're not eligible for this update right now. So the North American install rate for V9 is pretty high after one week for the Model S/X.

The Model 3 on the other hand is abysmal where it's only on about 3-4% of the vehicles in the fleet a week after the email.

I think Tesla is trying to balance the need to roll out the release quickly while not overwhelming SC's and Rangers. If an update goes bad it could brick a car.

There is also the possibility that the cameras might not be working correctly. The 6 out of 8 of the cameras have been sitting dormant before this update. So who knows how many cars will need a little TLC to work.

I do expect the rollout for the Model 3 will accelerate. If it doesn't it's going to be around 100 days to update the fleet.

Reactions: TT97
hehe :) I plotted "V9.0 please" on the hidden notepad and "published" it, and voila... in an hour or two sure enough it started download and soon i had the notification... Coincidence? or they are indeed listening for hidden messages?..
updating now...

Updated to 39.7.

Last edited:
Reactions: xcat and Off Shore
lol....

43678738_199878317458559_3443481297899487232_n.jpg

Went from 36.2 to 39.7 tonight on my P3D+. It is going out, just really slowly. Hang in there everyone!

I can't wait to see the rollout of Navigate on Autopilot when it's ready. I have a feeling we'll all be back in the trenches for that one. Hopefully it rolls out faster than v9