Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how you are coming to this conclusion in terms of performance those with FSD, but it certainly seems like more of the higher VINs are getting the update. Here's a screenshot with as many of the most recent updates as I can fit. I see a VIN in the 5k range and a few other low-ish VINs, but most are above 50, with a lot in the 70 to 100+ range.

View attachment 343136

Note: probably have to open image in a new tab and zoom in to read it.

Good findings, Boourns. Just as you showed, Performance M3s are mostly with VIN higher than 50. More in the 70- 100 range. My observation is also from the forum members who got the V9 update. They almost all said they had the performance version.

First of all, if you read my post properly. I didn't bash Tesla. I bash the ones denying the fact. Also, I only said VAST MAJORITY of V9 update went to P3Ds first. So, couple of regular RWD may have got the updates.
I will ask again: what exactly are you basing this "fact" on?
Also, in case some fans just lied to claim they got V9 with regular RWD to deny the fact, please just post legitimate screenshots to approve it. I like to be approved wrong. I always like to accept the fact.
:rolleyes:

Reactions: outdoors
Got a notification that the Version 9 update was ready to install, ran the installation last night after work, got another notification that the update was successful and this morning started the car to find I was still running 36.2. Very, very weird. (I'm in an AWD)

It would certainly be unfair to those of us that bought before AWD or performance versions were available. We took the larger risk in support of Tesla, especially those coming from owning an S or X. This would send the wrong message.

Unfortunately, Tesla is in a stage that the gross margin is a matter of life or death. I think that's also why Tesla is afraid of disclosing publicly that it prioritize updates on more expensive cars.

By the way, do you have AP? I observed on Teslafi that Model S and X without AP also get updates much later than the ones with it. Once again, AP is a high gross margin product for Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: heems and outdoors
Some Tesla fans may dislike that Tesla prioritize updates on P3Ds, but they cannot deny the fact. It is crystal clear that the vast majority models getting the V9 updates are the performance versions.

That's why I dispute the assertion that Tesla push out updates randomly.

However, I don't blame Tesla for such a roll out strategy. As a company, you have to give your VIPs special treatment to be fair. Somebody spending $70k to give Tesla a much richer margin will be more important than somebody buying the $49k model, which has a lot less gross margin. Also, the ones spending $70k also likely will appreciate the quick update more.

My major problem is some Tesla fans deny the fact that Tesla is giving more expensive cars quicker updates. They will set the wrong expectations for many M3 owners with regular RWD models.
I got my Version 9 update two days ago. My RWD VIN is under 10,000 as you can see in my signature. So much your theory.

Reactions: outdoors
VIN 11xxxx LR AWD LR (not performance)

I got 39.6 on Tuesday night and 39.7 last night. I am still curious as to why my iPhone app used to show the car's software version (36.2), but when the car got the 39.6 update, the ios app showed version 3.6.0, which someone said was the phone app's version. Now with the car updated to 39.7, the iphone app again shows 39.7.

Reactions: forkee
initially, i had this problem but it has been resolved. it felt like my access points have been fighting to the point that i got a rogue access point alert. after that, car is reliably showing similar WIFI signal strength as iphone xs.
Model 3 WiFi antenna seems to be in left outside mirror.

Model S is in right outside mirror.

Takes some skill to get both cars positioned in driveway for good home wireless signal.

Also, Wink Hub has reputation of disrupting Tesla connections. I did better after setting up separate subnet for the cars, doorbell and a few other items.

Just updated to 39.7 (VIN 17xxx) which took about 20 minutes only. Definitely rolling out to cars connected to WiFi first - I only connected mine after I returned from work this evening and the car wouldn’t go to sleep. I watched my router serve the download and sure enough, got notified about the update.