Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Version 2018.26.x has lock confirmation sounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is exactly what my wife and I have been doing so far, after initially experiencing hit-and-miss iPhone malfunctions and unreliability as a phone key. The key card is 100% reliable. And those folding mirrors take only a second to start folding before walking away from the car.
I found the key card to be finicky too, in terms of where you had to swipe it and how many swipes it takes.
Tesla replaced reliable key fobs with finicky phone keys and finicky key cards. Dumb decision. You need a 99.99% reliable way to get into your car. You don't want to be running from a mugger or caught in a downpour screwing around with your fancy car opening devices.

I found the key card to be finicky too, in terms of where you had to swipe it and how many swipes it takes.
Tesla replaced reliable key fobs with finicky phone keys and finicky key cards. Dumb decision. You need a 99.99% reliable way to get into your car. You don't want to be running from a mugger or caught in a downpour screwing around with your fancy car opening devices.

Why do you swipe? I think the correct method in the book is to hold the key card a couple of inches under the camera (to align with the reader) until the locking/unlocking begins as indicated by the folding action of the mirrors. This is what the owners manual says:
"Note: You may need to physically touch the driver's side door pillar with the key card, and you may need to hold it against the transmitter for one or two seconds. You must position the key card within an inch or two of a card reader to allow Model 3 to read it. You may need to physically touch the center console or driver's side door pillar with the key card, and you may need to hold it against the transmitter for one or two seconds."

Why do you swipe? I think the correct method in the book is to hold the key card a couple of inches under the camera (to align with the reader) until the locking/unlocking begins as indicated by the folding action of the mirrors. This is what the owners manual says:
"Note: You may need to physically touch the driver's side door pillar with the key card, and you may need to hold it against the transmitter for one or two seconds. You must position the key card within an inch or two of a card reader to allow Model 3 to read it. You may need to physically touch the center console or driver's side door pillar with the key card, and you may need to hold it against the transmitter for one or two seconds."
I dont think the words "may need" should ever appear in instructions on how to open your car. It should be something simple and reliable. Not something that MAY NEED this or that.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte
I do hope they improve the timeline of the updates. I recognize it's purely emotional, yet to read of updates others have received and to not have received, is a bit of a frustration. I do appreciate the "soft" rollout to work on bugs etc...however, I wish there was a better plan in place. Still no summon update (cabin overheat etc...) here. Picked mine up June 1st.

I'd like to see an option for steering settings to adjust based on speed. Comfort steering under 25 perhaps, and then to standard, and sport over 65...just an example....user defined settings. Is it nit picky? Perhaps. Just a thought.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
Is anyone getting this? I'm still on .19, my S just received 26. TeslaFi is not showing much action for 3s.
Seems like 3 haven't had the wide rollout that S and X have so far.

Still no reported installs of 2018.26 on any Model 3 as far as I’m aware. Crossing my fingers we’ll get some sort of widely distributed update soon.

I feel like summer will be over before I get cabin overheat protection. Tesla customer service told me they typically push updates out a month after you got your last one. I got 21.9 on 6/12, so almost a month and a half. I guess the waiting with the car will never stop :).