Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Versions/Differences with Trims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed our M3LR has a completely different software version branch than our M3SR+. Is that normal? Our M3LR came with 2022.15.101.1 and our M3SR+ has 2022.16.3. I never saw the former with our SR+ so I'm assuming each trim has their own branch of software.

I noticed our M3LR has a completely different software version branch than our M3SR+. Is that normal? Our M3LR came with 2022.15.101.1 and our M3SR+ has 2022.16.3. I never saw the former with our SR+ so I'm assuming each trim has their own branch of software.

That firmware with "101" in it is what the firmware looks like from the factory. They seem to come with a firmware that is not in regular circulation, and take "some amount of time" before they are updated.

With that being said, it will be common for your cars to be on different software versions, one car to possibly skip a version etc. I have a model 3 and Y and the model 3 we got in 2018, while the model Y is 2022. For the first month - 6 weeks or so they were on different firmware, even leapfrogging themselves.

Interestingly enough however, they both now are on the same firmware version, and received download prompts within 24 hours of each other to install it, for the last 3 firmware versions.

Thats anecdotal of course, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

Reactions: tm1v2
Wishful thinking I know, but I would prefer to stay on the version we have in our M3LR. It's a night and day difference with the HVAC system for one. A/C blows colder and more forceful in the LR than it has in our SR+ for the last 2 months or so, even more forceful for the rear vents. My wife is very hesitant to let it update now.

Wishful thinking I know, but I would prefer to stay on the version we have in our M3LR. It's a night and day difference with the HVAC system for one. A/C blows colder and more forceful in the LR than it has in our SR+ for the last 2 months or so, even more forceful for the rear vents. My wife is very hesitant to let it update now.

There could be differences because of firmware, and you are welcome to do whatever, but just know that eventually tesla can deny warranty work if you wont update the firmware if they think whatever issue you have is firmware related (its in the warranty disclosures actually).

Im not saying "you have to", just informing you that clause is in there.

My wife is very hesitant to let it update now.
@ElectricNerd I can't blame her. I've become hesitant too ever since this software change fundamentally worsened the driving experience:

On my MCU1 S I've had new UI bugs introduced with software updates (I mean outright bugs, not "I don't like this new UI"), so that made me a little wary, but the driving experience on that car has never changed or worsened with a software update. Which made the Model 3 steering change all the more shocking and frustrating, especially since Tesla corporate / engineering seems to be ignoring the negative feedback many of us have tried to give about it.

Reactions: ElectricNerd
@ElectricNerd I can't blame her. I've become hesitant too ever since this software change fundamentally worsened the driving experience:

On my MCU1 S I've had new UI bugs introduced with software updates (I mean outright bugs, not "I don't like this new UI"), so that made me a little wary, but the driving experience on that car has never changed or worsened with a software update. Which made the Model 3 steering change all the more shocking and frustrating, especially since Tesla corporate / engineering seems to be ignoring the negative feedback many of us have tried to give about it.
I told her that if it does update to what's similar to our SR+ and the HVAC is affected, I'll know for sure it's a software update that did it.

Reactions: tm1v2