Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Sound Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here. Every couple days a track starts playing with heavy crackling. Pausing/playing usually fixes it. I captured a video of it happening, and sent it to Tesla service as well. This is with firmware 2017.50.12.

Nice, very curious as to what they come back with. I'm on same FW so hopefully it can be fixed.

The S&X work the same way. (As does the recent GM rental I had.) I would try to adjust the GPS volume, but it was done reading before I could get it to the level I wanted and it started adjusting the music again. It just sucks. (And Tesla has that nice big screen that they could put a volume control panel on so you could adjust the music, phone, and navigation levels all in one nice simple to use spot.)
There's a volume adjuster on the nav screen - towards the upper right while navigation is on, if I remember right.

with 50.13 I get occasionally crackly streaming audio from Slacker, skipping the track fixes it. Doesn't seem to be consistent in regards to the track.

Would like a normalization system like "Sound Check" in iTunes so that going from a comparatively quiet song to something louder isn't so shocking.

Would also like nav to normalize against the music with the offset being adjustable.

I just picked up our Model 3 today and have had to reboot the system twice already, due to no sound. Driving down the road and listening to the radio and all of the sudden no sound from anywhere. No GPS voice directions, no FM, streaming or Tunein sound, no voice controls in car. Holding down both steering wheel buttons resets the system and solves the problem. This may only happen every 6 months in our Model S. Twice in the first day of ownership was unexpected.

I haven’t read about anyone else having the same issue, so i’m asking for help. In case it might be a Bluetooth problem my wife has an IPhone 6s and I have an IPhone 7Plus. The first time it happened, my phone wasn’t set up with the car yet. The second time it happened, I was the only one in the car.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
I just took delivery of my car 2 months ago and this just started happening to me. I'm less than 200 miles in and it has happened twice already. The music goes silent and there's zero voice control in the car too. I had to reboot as well, in which case the sound came back on. It's so strange because it happens mid-way during my commute at random moments. I'm running on an iphone x. I was listening to the radio the first time it happened and the second time was on streaming. I'm puzzled but will definitely ask the Tesla service techs. If I find out anything useful, I'll definitely ping you.

Try muting the sound on your GPS. I believe the complete loss of sound issue it is related to voice guidance. I had lost sound completely once, not even blinkers made noise. Called service and this is what they told me. I rebooted the screen and muted the GPS and have not had the problem since.
Ah, this makes sense. Thanks for sharing because I had the same issue. Will try!

Try muting the sound on your GPS. I believe the complete loss of sound issue it is related to voice guidance. I had lost sound completely once, not even blinkers made noise. Called service and this is what they told me. I rebooted the screen and muted the GPS and have not had the problem since.
Btw, this evening I loss sound to my radio/streaming again and tried what you posted. It worked! Thanks a bunch, your suggestion was super helpful.

I've had my Model 3 a few days and it's never had sound . Have tried rebooting, not sure I know the correct sequence. I'll try muting GPS. Does the manual explain how to do either?
Congrats on your new 3

Do you see volume raising when you scroll left thumbwheel upward?
If so, do you see a mute speaker icon? If so, press just the left thumbwheel to unmute

If not, then Hard reset is
  • park
  • press and hold brake pedal while pressing in both thumbwheels on the steering wheel
  • Keep pressing thumbwheels until screen has gone black and displays Tesla T
If neither work, call support number - press T on display and it’s in bottom right corner.

• Helpful
Reactions: JES2 and TEG
Congrats on your new 3

Do you see volume raising when you scroll left thumbwheel upward?
If so, do you see a mute speaker icon? If so, press just the left thumbwheel to unmute

If not, then Hard reset is
  • park
  • press and hold brake pedal while pressing in both thumbwheels on the steering wheel
  • Keep pressing thumbwheels until screen has gone black and displays Tesla T
If neither work, call support number - press T on display and it’s in bottom right corner.

Turns out it seems to need a new computer.