Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not? My 2011 Audi TTS only has 265hp and can do 0-60 under 5. Model 3 will be slightly heavier so don't see why 5.1 is unrealistic.

Your Audi likely weighs hundreds less than model 3. Germans are also notorious for under rating the engines in their cars.

According to BMW my 340i has 320 horsepower. According to dynojet testing its more like 360 horsepower.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
3900 lb at 60mph has 637414J kinetic.
The motor has to add 125kJ/s.
13kW or less to overcome losses up to 60mph.
258hp is 192kW.
I don't see how it'd be unrealistic, since the low bit would be easy.
I bolded the part I wonder about. How did you come up with 13 kW or less ? I've thought about this question of figuring out power requirements for 0-60 mph results and I always come up with "it is complicated *." While 125 kW will cover inertia, there is still air friction, rolling friction, drivetrain losses, inverter and motor losses, battery losses and probably a couple other things I'm forgetting.

The road friction energy losses seemed within my grasp: starting from 0.009 CRR and 0.5*a*t*t distance, the energy would be 0.009*1600 Kg * 9.8 * 0.5 * a * t *t joules

I was less sure about the energy to push air out of the way. I started from the mass of air extending from the front of the car out 0.5*a*t*5 feet away and then integrated 0.5 * m*v*v from 0 to 60 mph.

I can only guess at the remainder, but certainly 10% overhead ... maybe 20% since the motor power curve is at the edge.

Last edited:
Here are some snaps that explain more about the differences between Standard and Premium....

View attachment 239008 View attachment 239009

"A seat heater and usb port (4 total) for every passenger"

2 things:
1) I thought this seats 5 people so shouldn't that be 5 usb ports
2) Does this mean 4 seat heaters as well? 2 front and 2 rear? If so, see #1 re 5 passengers. Should it be 5 seat heaters?

"A seat heater and usb port (4 total) for every passenger"

2 things:
1) I thought this seats 5 people so shouldn't that be 5 usb ports
2) Does this mean 4 seat heaters as well? 2 front and 2 rear? If so, see #1 re 5 passengers. Should it be 5 seat heaters?

"...for every passenger (except the sucker in the middle, he has no room to use a tablet anyway)."

Reactions: Foxhound199
The pictures I've seen of the back side of the center console only show two USB ports for the back seat.

Tesla-Model-3-Rear-USB.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
You don't see the value of a feature that uses perhaps 300-400 watts tops that can warm your frigid hands in the winter and reduce the need to crank the 6-8 kW heater in an all-electric vehicle? o_O

It should be part of a cold package. Make it heated front and rear seats, heated side mirrors, heated windshield washer nozzles and heated steering wheel.

My Mercedes does not have a heated steering wheel and I live in Canada. Would I want one? Sure, but it's not a deal breaker. Every car I've owned has never had a heated steering wheel.

Reactions: T3SLA3 and GSP
Back in the late '70s when I lived in Alaska for awhile, I was car shopping and the SAAB dealer was extolling the virtues of the Swedish marque with its front-wheel drive and heated seats. As a young man at the time, I was concerned about raising my body temperature in certain regions and the impact it may have on my future ability to be fruitful and multiply. I did not buy the SAAB (but that wasn't the sole reason). :)

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911