Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the mysteries of the Model 3 is the actual volume of the passenger cabin, which Tesla has not published. However, I believe we can infer the lower bounds of the cabin volume using available information.

First, we know that the Model 3 is classified as an EPA Midsize car. EPA test docs posted to Electrek confirm as much: Tesla could be underselling Model 3’s range and charging capacity, reveals EPA document (see the FE label on p. 6 of the scribd hosted doc at the bottom of the article).

EPA classifies a midsize car as having 110-119 cubic feet of interior space for passenger compartment plus cargo volume: Frequently Asked Questions A large car is 120+ cubic feet. This establishes a lower bound for the Model 3's cabin + luggage at 110 cubic feet.

Tesla lists the Model 3 has having luggage volume of 15 cubic feet (including trunk and frunk): Model 3

Here's where things get interesting.

EPA apparently does not count the Model S' frunk space as part of "cargo volume". Model S is listed as 94 cubic feet cabin, 26 cubic feet cargo: 2017 Tesla Model S AWD - 75D, while Tesla says that Model S has 30 cubic feet total storage in the comparison chart with Model 3: Model 3.

As best I can eyeball it, Model 3's "frunk" is about 2 cubic feet. MOC's video shows the frunk has max width of 34", max length 18", and max height 9", but the space is irregularly shaped, like a tapered trapazoidal block. 2 cubic feet is my best guess. 15 cubic feet total - 2 cubic feet frunk = 13 cubic feet trunk.

Assuming that Model 3's rear trunk is 13 cubic feet, this places the lower bound of the Model 3's cabin at 97 cubic feet!

• Informative
Reactions: T34ME
Interesting calculation and I think you are very close. I have a 2012 Prius with passenger volume of 93.7 cuft. The TM3 is 1 to 2 inches bigger in every dimension - hip room, shoulder room, leg room, headroom, etc. So I think your prediction of ~97 cuft is about right. Most people find the Prius interior quite roomy for 5 passengers. I believe there will be very few complaints (there are always some) with the size of the TM3 interior, especially the feeling of openness with the sky roof.

Reactions: PJFW8
Has anybody seen any reports of actual real world range now that there are a decent number of model 3's on the road.
I'm curious what the difference is between the 18" rims (with Aero covers on) and the 19" sport rims. I'm quite surprised that there isn't more information out there about this (That I could find at least) Do both version report the same rated range at 90% or 100% charge, or is the number different?

Has anybody seen any reports of actual real world range now that there are a decent number of model 3's on the road.
I'm curious what the difference is between the 18" rims (with Aero covers on) and the 19" sport rims. I'm quite surprised that there isn't more information out there about this (That I could find at least) Do both version report the same rated range at 90% or 100% charge, or is the number different?
I'm not sure I'd call a few hundred cars a "decent" amount. I assume though that the rated range is at 100% charge, with the 18" wheels and the aero covers.

I would think there are enough out there that somebody with the 19” rims would have stated that my car reports X miles at 100% (or Y at 90%) charge.
I don't think that the car knows what size tires you have so it will not factor that in. What you need people to do is monitor their Wh per mile using both sets of tires and then reporting that.

Great thing about the semi unveil is we now know Tesla designed the 3 drivetrain to last at least a million miles!

Elon was talking about a million mile drivetrain when he introduced the Model S. In theory any decent EV should have that kind of lifespan. There are vastly fewer moving parts and it is a much simpler mechanism than an ICE. Tesla did have some problems with the early Model S drive systems, but that was some sort of engineering flaw. I think the recent Model S and X could see 1 million miles on their original motors. There are some early Ss over 100,000 miles now.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Elon was talking about a million mile drivetrain when he introduced the Model S. In theory any decent EV should have that kind of lifespan. There are vastly fewer moving parts and it is a much simpler mechanism than an ICE. Tesla did have some problems with the early Model S drive systems, but that was some sort of engineering flaw. I think the recent Model S and X could see 1 million miles on their original motors. There are some early Ss over 100,000 miles now.

Ya I think that was their goal at the time, but now we have explicit guarantee from the semi event.

Ya I think that was their goal at the time, but now we have explicit guarantee from the semi event.

I thought the guarantee was only for the semi, not the Model 3. To sell the semi, they need to have a lot of guarantees to sell skeptical fleet managers that the truck is a good gamble. On paper the semi looks much cheaper to operate, but fleet managers are going to be skeptical of the reliability and want assurances they will be covered if the new tech fails on them.

Yes, it was for the semi, but the semi uses the same motors as the 3.

There are rumors the Model S and X small motors are going to be Model 3 motors too. But there is more to a drive system than just the motors. I would expect the semi's gears to be heavier duty, they need to get larger loads moving. There is also the inverter, battery packs, wiring, etc. to consider too. I'm sure there is a lot of overlap, but the Model 3 and semi are vehicles with very different uses and there will have to be some differences in equipment.

I believe they have said the motor will be the same between the Model 3 and the semi, but I suspect the drive unit itself will have some differences.

I think Tesla's plan is to standardize on this motor design going forward. They may make a larger version for some applications, or they may just vary the number of motors. It does sound like it is a more efficient motor design than the original for the Model S and X and I suspect they took lessons learned from the earlier designs to make the M3 motor more reliable over the long term. The smaller motor in the S/X is already more reliable than the large motor which dates back to the original Model S in 2012.

Its the production stupid!
Production, production, production...

M3 motor is (intended to be) produced with 0 human work, in large large large numbers.
That's how you get the price of single unit way down, very close to raw material costs (of motors and production equipment).

I would not be surprised if R2 also used three plain M3 motors, 576 kW could be enough - 2 ton car needs 'only' 390 kW average output during those 1,9s 0-60 run. Remember, P100D is limited by its battery power. But I suspect tesla also has a 'soupped' up version of the M3 motor for P3D.
Fully loaded semi at 80.000 pounds doing 0-60 in 20 seconds averages 670 kW, 4 plain M3 motors can do 768 kW in the middle of their rpm range (~ 20 - 40 mph).
1 MWh pack should had little problem providing the juice.

Reactions: FlatSix911