Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting ... how do you explain your torque values for the Model 3?
View attachment 264740
That's the amount of torque required from 0-38mph to cross over with the pack power limit (at speeds above 38) to yield the actual, measured acceleration data for the LR. It's not that complicated to derive a torque curve for a single-gear ratio PMAC motor.

Blue is torque and red is power (Chart in N*m and kW not lb-ft and hp, but it is in mph, for added units confusion :) )
upload_2017-12-5_9-29-6.png

Great thing about the semi unveil is we now know Tesla designed the 3 drivetrain to last at least a million miles!
If I recollect correct he did NOT give a warranty that the motors/DU's would last that long. What he said was that Tesla would give a 1 million miles *breakdown* warranty, and followed up to say that if one or two motors should stop working, you could continue with just two motors, and not having a roadside breakdown. My interception is that if you still can drive the car into the service center it is not a breakdown, and it does not fall within this "1 million miles warranty".

If I recollect correct he did NOT give a warranty that the motors/DU's would last that long. What he said was that Tesla would give a 1 million miles *breakdown* warranty, and followed up to say that if one or two motors should stop working, you could continue with just two motors, and not having a roadside breakdown. My interception is that if you still can drive the car into the service center it is not a breakdown, and it does not fall within this "1 million miles warranty".
Interesting point of view. In the high availability cloud services world, any given piece of hardware will fail on you at some point. So you plan on it failing with applicable redundancy (and hopefully a design that doesn't even require failover). It's the only way to get ever more 9s of uptime. This is essentially the same thing "you can't call it down if the truck still moves, even if we need to take one piece out and repair it."

Interesting calculation and I think you are very close. I have a 2012 Prius with passenger volume of 93.7 cuft. The TM3 is 1 to 2 inches bigger in every dimension - hip room, shoulder room, leg room, headroom, etc. So I think your prediction of ~97 cuft is about right. Most people find the Prius interior quite roomy for 5 passengers. I believe there will be very few complaints (there are always some) with the size of the TM3 interior, especially the feeling of openness with the sky roof.

Posted in the Investor's forum this morning: 2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

My prediction was correct: 97 cubic feet exactly!

Trunk volume was bigger than I expected: 17 cubic feet :eek:

I have a basic question about Model 3 options, are the Enhanced Autopilot (EA) and Self Driving Capability (SDC) software upgrades or are they hardware + software?
Reason I ask is, if I skimp on not getting the EA and SDC when I order the M3, will I be able to upgrade at a later time?

Another q, does anyone think Tesla will add Carplay option to the infotainment system in the future?

I have a basic question about Model 3 options, are the Enhanced Autopilot (EA) and Self Driving Capability (SDC) software upgrades or are they hardware + software?
Reason I ask is, if I skimp on not getting the EA and SDC when I order the M3, will I be able to upgrade at a later time?

Another q, does anyone think Tesla will add Carplay option to the infotainment system in the future?

You can upgrade later. Every Tesla comes pre-installed with the necessary hardware.

But activating after delivery will cost you $1000 more for each option ($6,000 for EAP and and $4,000 for FSD)

Here's the relevant config screen:

nc4-jpg.5087

All hardware is included so it's just software. Carplay, don't see it ever happening.

I remember many articles saying CarPlay is tied with QNX. An example is Ford ditched their Microsoft-based Sync and MyTouch for the QNX based Sync3 which does have CarPlay.

So there is a high likelihood Tesla's system would be completely incompatible with CarPlay in the first place. There's a bigger chance for Android Auto, but Tesla has never indicated they plan to include it. Elon alluded to wanting to do screen mirroring, but that's probably very far down on the list of priorities.

Seem to remember something that Elon said about AP2.5 was current FSD option buyers would be updated for free, if the current AP2.5 Hardware can't get to FSD level 5.
I take that to mean that if you paid the 3k up front for AP2.5, you get the free hardware upgrade, if necessary. But if you didn't pay for FSD upfront, there may be a hardware charge to the add the 4k FSD option at a later time (3k+1k).

Seem to remember something that Elon said about AP2.5 was current FSD option buyers would be updated for free, if the current AP2.5 Hardware can't get to FSD level 5

That was actually the quote that brought me down off the fence on FSD. I could invest the $3000 for the time it will take to get to FSD and easily make up the extra $1000 (assuming I invest in Tesla, and that it takes as long as I imagine it will). BUT I want to a) support Elon's efforts in this direction b) guilt trip Elon into making the damn car FSD. I don't intend to buy another car this lifetime, so I am counting on this being great even though it's a first production year. Yes, I know, original autopilot owners probably thought the same thing and were let down...

-Randy

Junk in the trunk ski fitting. Without folding down seats. No ski bag. Larger skis pictured are 138. Maybe 140 tops would fit in left trunk cut out. FYI there is no right side cutout of trunk. So left side is the nook... Got RWD down with all this snow, just killing it up in Michigan. Drives like a champ.
20180210_181531.jpg
20180210_181144.jpg

Junk in the trunk ski fitting. Without folding down seats. No ski bag. Larger skis pictured are 138. Maybe 140 tops would fit in left trunk cut out. FYI there is no right side cutout of trunk. So left side is the nook... Got RWD down with all this snow, just killing it up in Michigan. Drives like a champ.View attachment 279470 View attachment 279469

Who has 140cm skis ... your kids? :cool:

Junk in the trunk ski fitting. Without folding down seats. No ski bag. Larger skis pictured are 138. Maybe 140 tops would fit in left trunk cut out. FYI there is no right side cutout of trunk. So left side is the nook... Got RWD down with all this snow, just killing it up in Michigan. Drives like a champ.View attachment 279470 View attachment 279469

Using it like an SUV, love these case scenarios.

That combo of the wheels and the color look great!

I'm assuming those are the 18" wheels without the Aero covers? Was the center Tesla ring removed from the Aero cover or did you purchase the center "T" and lug nuts from Tesla (info below) or a 3rd party vendor?
View attachment 279804

Center cap and lug covers from SC. Center cap is not removable from aero covers. Part of the mold. Yes 18s stock.

Attachments

• 20180211_212946.jpg
    20180211_212946.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 67